XBOX One vs. PS4 | FerrariChat

XBOX One vs. PS4

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TheBigEasy, Nov 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Which one to buy?

I have an XBOX 360 now.. so I'm leaning towards sticking with what I know.. but I have no interest in using the TV features.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I haven't played video games in a long while but am considering one of these systems.

I'm waiting till next year once there's been some time to evaluate both.

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Depends on who has the better software. So far, I haven't seen anything that compells me to buy one of the systems. After 7-8 years (or whatever time has past), I expected there to be more of a quantum leap in this gen versus the last one.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have a 360 and a PS3. Not buying anything until i see some great games. And the Xbox has some major drawbacks (more expensive, hardware is supposed to better in the PS4, and then all those online/used games restrictions..).

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Based on the fact that I still have and use my Jan '07 ps3 regularly and I know nobody that has an xbox360 that old that still works, I wouldn't touch an xbox unless you don't mind buying a new one every couple of years.

6. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Neither, yet.

Give them time to get their second hardware revisions out. That will also give them time to get a decent game library going, as well as get their "feature" set ironed out.

Personally, we have a PS3 that is still running great, so I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

7. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I've had my xbox 360 Elite since the day they were available ( I think dec 2005 )

I've got so much play time out of that thing over the years I didn't hesitate a second to order the Xbox One Day One Edition when it became available. I've also ordered Forza 5 LE and COD:Ghosts. Two franchises I've thoroughly enjoyed. The only thing else I need is the Thrustmaster Wheel which I hope to order soon.

I'll keep the 360 plugged in for when I want to revisit some of my favorite games that won't make it to xbox one anytime soon.

8. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I bought an xbox 360 in November, 2008. Never had a single problem with it. I pre-ordered both, PS4 came today. I'm selling the PS4 and plan on keeping the Xbox One.

There are pros and cons to both. For me the deciding factor was the Xbox live. I've been a member since 2008, and figured it's easier just to stick with it.

It sounds like the rumors might be true that the PS4 hardware is Slightly more powerful. But I really think the difference will be almost invisible. The PS3 was always thought to be slightly more then the xbox 360 and the differences turned out to be practically nill.

I think it comes down to is if all you care about is nothing but gaming, and maybe even single player gaming, the PS4 is probably the best bet. If you care about the other cool things like on-line gaming, the blending of tv, dvr, skype, ect into one unit, the xbox one is the way to go.

9. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
  10. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  11. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I will probably get a PS4, as I have been a PS gamer ever since the PS1 days. Though I'm going to wait awhile to get one. I'm waiting for them to fix any hardware issues and get a decent lineup of games. Besides, GT6 is coming out for PS3 in just over 2 weeks. ;)

12. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Xbox for me, rarely play games but use the 360 extensively for media.

13. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This is sage advice. The PS4 is a gaming console and the Xbone is an entertainment console. The $100 difference between the two is in the Kinect sensor. The voice commands and TV integration work well for us on the Xbone.

(The PS controllers were never comfy for me...)

14. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Meh, I'm not buying either one. Never been much a fan of XBOX/Microsoft & most of my older software for Playstation dates back to 1995. Since Sony decided not to make the the new PS4 console backwards compatible, I'm done. Also not much of a fan of the share option & connecting everything to Facebook.

15. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I'm waiting until bugs are out. It took Xbox a while to eliminate red ring . don't like the idea of paying for what PS3 give for free .

As entertainment center again, I have to pay for what my $70 blu ray player does for free. Also, smart tv does. PS4 doesn't yet play cd, mp3 , or movies. Xbox doesn't play blu ray.

As rumor mill things, kinetic always on and listening. Can't be used without it. I feel eventually it would need to always be on to be used like xbox wanted originally .

Last, what the hell I do with the two consoles and accessory( Microsoft flight sticks and steering wheel) , I have ?

16. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Put them back in the boxes they came in and put them in the attic, like me. :D

17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm a PlayStation guy. I had an Xbox 360 but that thing was built so badly that it's turned me off to them.

18. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Once my parents move out I'm gonna buy a PS4 as a "celebration" gift to myself.

Although, I may make an early trip out on Sunday and see what the line at the nearby Best Buy is like. If no one's there I may pick one up.

19. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Picked up my PS4 this morning at Best Buy.

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Merry Christmas/Celebration Gift to yourself! Ho ho ho muah ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's an early celebration gift to myself that my parents are finally moving out!:D

In all honesty, I probably won't play it a ton. Just get a game every so often.

22. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I have never had one of these, but I am starting to think about them. I read this thread and some online articles. It seems like a difficult decision with a lot of different factors, some of which I will list.

The hardware advantage, mainly the better graphics chip in the PS4 seems moot after watching this, XB actually looks sharper;

Battlefield 4: PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One comparison - YouTube

Good to have - Voice commands and skype, XB-yes PS-?

Great titles - not an expert but it seems like Forza would be nice and I have enjoyed watching HALO movies on YT.

Can these consoles use your PC screen or do you need a separate monitor?

What about a real-life accurate F1 simualtor, do they have a good one with real reactions to steering inputs or are you bouncing on the guard rails? I had a pretty good one 10 years ago on the PC that was enjoyable. I would also like a good submarine hunter game.

Any info would be appreciated.

23. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    If you want simulation, stay away from the xBone. Forza is pretty, and an aural blast... but, the new Thrustmaster wheel is pitifully expensive, and has no FFB api making it IMO an antithesis of what sim racers want.

Also Don't bother comparing titles that are on both systems; they often have to be dumbed down from what the system is capable of. System only titles are what should be what drivers your decisions.

Just my .02$

24. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Voice commands can be done on PS4, and you don't need the camera. Of course you have to have the headset on, but it's still able to handle voice.

A lot people also find the xb1 kinect always on and recognizing you when you enter the room just a bit too creepy. I'm one of those.

The bottom line, get whatever exclusive games you'll play. I wanted to get the xb1 this time because I've had PS1 and PS2. But I just prefer PS lineup.

I do prefer the look of the XB1 though. Although, it's way too big. If they had made it look the same, but smaller it would be really slick.

25. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Thanks, I have a lot of research to do on this subject. For F1 racing alone, a lot of the stuff I see from these consoles is childish, way too hyper and not realistic at all, constantly bumping off walls from a little steering input. So I will have to see what else they offer in other gaming. Tom Clancy's, The Division and such.

On the driving sim subject I found this -- "Let’s roll up to the starting line and take a look at some of the top racing games ever created. First on our list is Nascar Racing 2003 Season or just NR2003. It is Papyrus’ final simulator, and according to some, their finest. Built on top of the Grand Prix Legends engine, NR2003 is one of the most realistic racing sims ever made. The car responds to changes, corners, bumps and turns just as a real car would."

So I took a look at this and it is really impressive, real world action, Check this out;

Let's Race Grand Prix Legends! 14 1965 Italian Grand Prix - YouTube