XBOX or PS2: What to buy? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

XBOX or PS2: What to buy?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by karmavore, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Best System: XBOX or PS2?

1. XBox

2. PS2

3. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Colecovision, because color, sound multiplayer, and gameplay are over-rated.

But if you must, Xbox. Dunno why.

2. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    However, The XBOX has halo.

3. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I bought an XBOX. Thanks SO much for the help guys. Anyone wanna play PGR2? :)

Luke.

4. Schnelles Fraulein

Apr 1, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Schnelles Fraulein
    i dont have an XBOX, but i love my ps2.. you can play DVD's on it and its got great games like Need for Speed & Grand Theft Auto !

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

Yeah - basically in GT you can't floor it the whole way. It's more realistic. Something like Need for Speed, on the other hand, is more arcade style. I actually bought Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 yesterday and I like it a lot, but I floor it for much of the race. The cars that I can remember now are: Murcielago, Diablo 6.0, 360, F50, Lotus Elise, Merc CL55, Merc CLK GTR, Carerra GT, 550 Barchetta...many more, don't remember now.

6. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Stand by all, I understand the PS3 (and/or 4) is due to arrive in February. It combines the PS2 with a full computer, DVD player, large screen. Supposed to be expensive and well worth the wait.

7. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    I've got both (plus PSX, Gamecub, Dreamcast, and plenty of other systems to waste my time with).

First off, Gran Turismo 3 is a lousy "sim." Sim of what? Certainly not a racing sim. AI cars blindly rear-end you. The driving model is OK, but I wouldn't put it above other games with better driving models (check out NASCAR Heat 2002 for the PS2/Xbox for a remarkable driving model).

I personally spend more time with the Xbox lately. Tons of quality games to keep you busy.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Its the best racing sim out there. Even if you don't think so, it has the best physics engine.

When a car does x.xx lap across a circuit, the GT3 and GT4 designers took the real car and put it across that circuit and made tuned the virtual car to do the same thing. Now factor in the amount of cars available.

AI cars wouldn't blindly rear end you if you race the proper line, brake properly. Even in a slower car you can stay ahead of the AI in the more difficult modes. Its harder and mistakes are much more costly but the victory that much sweeter.

With an equal or superior car, its just you and the road.

Do you have your IA/IB/Super licenses?

As for bumping into you, you haven't really seen a Le Mans race or a wheel to wheel anything goes race have you? There's a great 360 challenge video of 360's getting into all sorts of full contact and spins. Le Mans starts are classic get the "hell out of my way, whatever it takes" starts.

If you want an arcade sim with an unreal physics engine for entertainment purposes to goof off to, by all means. Here's a bag of quarters.

If you want to take your car to a virtual track, and when used for that purpose, nothing beats GT3.

Sunny

9. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I'm surprised not many have said "Both".

I like both of them. If it weren't for game selection I'd pick X-Box. They've been reduced in price so they aren' too much money, so get one of each for the holidays!

Cheers

10. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    Check http://www.sgn.cc/racing/gran_turismo_3_a-spec/review_ps2_import.shtml

I did that review a few years ago after I picked up the import version. There are issues with the game. Period. It's when you race the proper line that they do hit you! The AI cars are on rails at many points on the track. It's get out of the way or get bowled over.

I've got all the licenses. The game is actually pretty easy. Too easy in fact. I went with a Logitech Force Feedback wheel to add some realism and more challenge (lap times are slower for me with the wheel since you don't have the high steering rate like you do with the standard controller).

I just think there are better racing/driving sims out there then GT3. The racing genre is my favorite and I've played or reviewed over 100 titles. GT3 ranks high, but it's not the be all and end all in my opinion that some make it out to be.

Games I'd stick ahead of or near GT3 include NASCAR Heat 2002, NASCAR Dirt to Daytona, World of Outlaws Sprint Racing, Colin McRae (GT3 does have an excellent rally portion though), the TOCA series, perhaps even Pro Race Driver (hang up there is getting wings knocked off won't affect downforce one bit), F355 (except for its drone AI as well), and perhaps even Monaco GP 2 on the Dreamcast (sadly a really good F1 game hasn't been made on a console in ages).

The absolute best racing "sim" in my mind, though, is Heat 2002. Try passing at Bristol. The game nails it. You have to set up an AI driver for several laps just to get your nose in. The AI and physics in that one are second to none.

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm ready to nuke my PS2. I keep getting the 'disc read error'. I fixed it once, now it's back. Sony won't even recognize that they've got a design flaw and they charge $125 to fix it. I'm pissed.

12. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Not so sure that's a design flaw. :)

There is a design flaw in it though. If used on it's side stand the unit will likely scratch the discs inside. Subsequent later units fixed this problem but not entirely.

Cheers

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Hmmmm, looks like I need to check out Heat 2002. Is it on the PS2? Also, if you were to pick one sim to play, since making time for that for me is tough, would Heat 2002 or GTx be it? Or would I need to pick up another console?

14. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    On the PS2, Heat is available. The choice between Heat and GT3 (not really a choice since you can probably get both for $20) boils down to

Heat
    ----
    Pros - best AI around, great physics, tons of tracks (except only 2 road courses), 19 AI cars (the Xbox version has 42 AI cars on track), insane setups (tires, for example, are monitored with temperatures at the inside, middle, and outside of each tire and inflation or camber matters), incredible force feedback with a wheel (imagine sustaining damage that constantly pulls you into the wall and you have to fight the wheel to keep it off the wall)

Cons - only one type of car (Winston Cup stock car), only 2 road courses, lots of left turns (this is NASCAR you know), can be very tough without a wheel (Xbox version is easier with a standard controller)

GT3
    ----
    Pros - diverse car selection (over a dozen makes and over 150 different cars), detailed car setups, upgrades, and tuning options, tons of tracks (and all but 1 or 2 are road courses) and nice track design, great rally mode, very good graphics

Cons - only 5 AI cars to race against, lousy AI, easy to beat, no damage (though there is tire wear)

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Posted elsewhere in off topic, the XBOX is also bullet resistant and will work as a torso shield if in trouble. In case you have roommates and fear they might take action against your favorite console. :) http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6084935.html

Sunny