XM or Sirius | Page 2 | FerrariChat

XM or Sirius

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JeffB, Jun 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I read somewhere that Sirius needed 1 Million new subscribers to break even with Howard Stern's salary offer. They subscribed 2.2 Million as of a week ago - they're more than cash solvent, if those numbers are anywhere near accurate.

Once Stern opens up with his 'dream format', and people respond, the floodgates will open with new programming. Stern is an acquired taste - but given the fact that he was number ONE in the morning radio circuit here in the Bible Belt should tell you something.

We have XM pumped into the local gym. I don't like it - the music is still censored, the DJs are censoring themselves like the FCC Nazi is still on their shoulder, etc. Other than less commercials (why are there any???) I couldn't tell the difference from Terrestrial radio. I thought the 'big sales point' was NO commercials, NO censorship - as a potential consumer, that's what is interesting me. Most 'safe' music formats (Jazz/Classical/Country/Bluegrass/etc.) was ALWAYS terrestrial radio-friendly right off the record with no FCC editing required. Do we really need 20+ stations of those same formats? Ah, no. People who listen to those types of music are not 'gaining' anything with a move to Satellite. Rock and Rap/Hip-Hop, however, gain EVERYTHING, since they've bore the brunt of censorship over the years. So I understand why Sirius is more Rock/Rap focused at this time.

2. eholody

eholody Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Montreal, Quebec
    Does anyone know if you have to pay royalties if you play either XM or sirius in a small, commercial setting (ie doctors/dentist office)? or does the subscription fee take this compensation into consideration?

thanks!

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have an Alpine with built in XM. The new Alpines will allow you to choose which sat. system you want to go with. It accepts both. Censorship?? The stations I listen to on XM are not censored at all. Plenty of cussing. From the dj's to the explicit songs.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    The XM being pumped into the gym is most likely a commercial subscription, as opposed to a personal one. The commercial subscription is specifically programmed to take the place of "muzac" piped into places like restaurants, building lobbys, etc. That's why what he's hearing at the gym is censored, and what you're hearing in your car is not censored.

5. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Not only does he do insurance, he does radios. What a hunk.

6. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    The difference is that O&A are still funny. Stern hasn't been since the nineties.

Besides, Ron and Fez trumps 'em all. Game, set, match, XM.

7. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    ...nah, too easy