XM radio signal constantly cuts in/out | FerrariChat

XM radio signal constantly cuts in/out

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by provoke, Jun 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. provoke

provoke Rookie

Jun 16, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    JW
    Does anyone else have this issue? Every time I drive in/out my neighborhood and around town the signal to the satellite radio cuts in/out. None of my other cars that have satellite radio have this problem. I have had it into the dealer 2times and their advise is that verified the signal cutting in/out and then drove another California in the same location and said it also cut in/out. Therefore there was nothing that could be done.. Its been this way since I took delivery of the car back in 2010. (Yes it was my build) but was just too lazy to take in as it was under warranty and just figured I would take care of it on one of the services..

Anyway so now basically they said that since another California cut in/out at the same place its just a standard defect and there's nothing that can be done about it. How does a $250,000.00 car have this problem and what does that say about Ferrari?

2. Mrross27

Mrross27 Karting

Apr 21, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ross
    have similar issue on my 14.

3. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    When this happens, one must say, its a Ferrari !

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I had a 2010 Cali and it was great until sometime in 2010 or early 2011 as I remember. Then it suddenly didn't work well. My 2012 NEVER has worked well. I think the satellite company reduced power then and never raised it back, just a guess considering all of the problems that sprung up around then. I'll bet there are a bunch of posts on this subject in the Cali area from that time. I mentioned it to my dealer a couple weeks ago and they have it on their list. We may try a new antenna but I don't think that will help.

Rick

5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    My 2010 had terrible satellite reception from the first time I tried it. Eventually I got the dealer to fix it and suggested they try swapping in the second antenna that was there (for data from what I heard). Anyway, they ascertained it was the antenna and replaced it and the satellite radio begin to work well.

SV

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Thanks for that update! I will ask the dealer to get an antenna on order.

Rick

7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Antennas are just pieces of wire on a circuit board arranged appropriately. Real issue come from adding the cable back to the tuner. It has to be right as rain to make it work well. I suspect the factory does not have an adequate test for this as a lot of folks have complained especially on earlier models...

8. BruceWinter

BruceWinter Karting

Dec 22, 2013
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Bruce E. Winter
    Similar issue on my recently acquired '13

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Other half of the problem is the mounting of the antenna in its cavity. They are tuned so if the antenna is mis-mounted, it will be mis-tuned. Almost always one of these two issues in my experience. Cabling back to the tuner must be checked for integrity while good cable to antenna attachment creates a low noise connection. Which is why swapping antennas and cables can help localize a problem...

SV

10. NJ-Cali

NJ-Cali Karting

Mar 9, 2012
    Same issue on my 2012. Sat radio reception sucks!

11. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    FWIW, the SiriusXM (and GPS) reception on our (old) 458 and current FF and F12 are solid...though we get signal cut at a few places (in all our cars) due to coverage shadows.

Having said that, our (several) GMC's (with antenna prominently on the front roof...ugh) have had just crappy reception, same phenomenon on the prior Range Rover. Our BMW GPS seems to easily get lost (i.e. struggles to find satellites, ergo I'm driving in a river)

While different OEM's make the infotainment systems (e.g.. Harman in the case of Ferrari), the SiriusXM technology is a standard reference design.

Unsure if it's a hardware issue (in device/antenna), software (in unit), installation (antenna positioning) or service (to Rick's point).

12. BAR1019

BAR1019 Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    My new 2015 Cali T also has terrible Sirius/XM reception. I have never owned a vehicle with such poor reception. This is my first Ferrari, so I was very disappointed.

whatheheck likes this.
  13. glcferrari

glcferrari Rookie

Mar 13, 2017
    same problem with my Cal T 2017

whatheheck likes this.
  14. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Same problem here with my 2014 Cal 30. The dealer replaced the antenna under warranty - it was a little better. Ultimately dumped Sirus/XM and now listen to slacker through my cell phone/bluetooth <- much better solution!

15. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    How in the hell is this even acceptable/possible on a $250K+ car ??????

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ... it's a Ferrari, why would you be listening to anything other the engine and exhaust???

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Haha. True. I've used my radio only twice, once to make sure it worked and once at a track day to get instructions from our drive leader. But, c'mon, at this price point that's inexcusable. And, while we're piling on, the interface on the navigation is pitiful IMO. Thank goodness for smart phones, Google Maps, Waze and the fact that when I'm driving the Cali, I typically don't care where I'm going and how long it'll take me to get there.
    T

18. jerryw

jerryw Karting

May 18, 2009
    I has the same problem on my 2015 Cali T. First replacement did nothing and my sat service expired, figured why renew if it keeps cutting out. Dealer replaced it again with a Maserati antenna, they claim it works much better. I have not tried to use it, rather listen to my own music collection.

whatheheck likes this.
  19. Richard Sam

Richard Sam Rookie

May 7, 2019
    Pittsfield Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Richard Samale
    My 2014 Carrera XM would cut out often, and go back to station #1, not the station i was listing to, my 2011 Cali has no XM reception at all ( working on that ) update later

20. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Happens on the Kennedy expressway way in Chicago. Happened on my 2017 California T and my F12. Of course the dealer says they can't replicate it and I say have him take it on the Kennedy expressway and he will duplicate it...None of my non Ferraris have this issue.