Y, do I like to watch Mary Poppins, and sing chim chimney chim chim - charoo ? | FerrariChat

Y, do I like to watch Mary Poppins, and sing chim chimney chim chim - charoo ?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by ApexOversteer, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Was the L Section really that "messy"?

Why not just limit the number of characters allowed by the software in thread titles?

Why is the L Section being targeted specifically and alone?

What possible advantages can be gleaned from such a policy?

Can the starting user request a thread title that has been changed by a mod be changed again to a third different thread title?

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good questions...

3. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Nice "compact" thread Title.

4. Smurf

Smurf Formula 3

LOL

5. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    wow joe that was quick you almost aniticipated this thread.

this is rob's house and his rules. if you are unhappy or don't like the way he runs this board then i am sure there are pleny of other FREE sites that you can join. you are not even a paid member and you are *****ing?

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hey, I don't need users scaring off users, I can do that all by myself. :D

Ralph has taken some personal responsibility in improving some minor things in LC. You all know Ralph is a good guy and die hard Lamborghini owner & enthusiast. He's not trying to run anyone off, he wants to make it an even better forum for all. You are asking some good questions, keep it respectful and positive, Ralph will be here to discus this, and after time we can reevaluate things. Don't put down the community or Ralph during the process as there are the best intentions, in the long run we can keep what works and get rid of what doesn't.

7. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003

can you scare away roy lol

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    They don't scare away easily. Didn't renew Joe and EVEN changed his thread titles, but he's STILL around!!! Just kidding Joe. ;)

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Rob:

Since you mention scaring off users, I have at least 2 PMs that ask why they should subscribe to a forum where mods will come in and modify when no rules have been infringed upon? Thats a serious problem.

Furthermore, you've sent a clear message with the treatment of my 2 threads that maintaining a thread long-term (which I was doing to provide a restoration or enthusiasts resource) is FROWNED upon on F-Chat. See Dave's final post in the locked thread. Why?

This all begs the question for someone like myself who has archived special material on these cars for over 20 years: why should I come on here and spread the wealth of information via illustrations, historical images and text?

Remember, Id probably sell more cars if I stayed off F-Chat, and I get PAID to share relevant material (Im in the book publishing biz in case you dont know). Yet I chose to come on here and make a dedicated effort to share for free, but Im rewarded with the BS of the past week.

I cant speak for the other threads, but as far as my 2 threads are concerned, the modification of their titles can be summed up in one word: unnecessary.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Whoa Rob, lets set the record straight! According to whats in my file per our last correspondence, I CHOSE not to renew :)

Thank You.

11. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    That was my intention, to get an actual discussion going without the vitriolic name calling and bs. Some of us can do this, and some of us can't.

Rob, I'm sure you can see that some of us have good reason to feel that the L Section and certain users are being singled out for some reason and despite pleasant noises contrary to that belief we have yet to see any real evidence of such. It just doesn't make sense to many of us. This section is no "messier" than any other, with thread titles no longer or having more words in caps included. Add to that the fact that some threads were named for their starting user and other were named for the cars. I point to the difference in the Miura and Countach threads as opposed to the 350/400GT thread as an example. I'm sure I speak for most L Section regulars, when I say that we are behind any change that improves the usefulness of the L Section, but it just doesn't feel to us like this is the intention of the current changes.

I'm eager to read ralf's take on these questions and thoughts. Thanks for providing us with a place to talk about these cars and for allowing this particular discussion to continue.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Whoa Joe, lets set the record straight! According to what's in my file per our last to last correspondence, We CHOSE not to renew you, but said please contact us in 3 months to reevaluate based on your behavior. That then led to the "last correspondence" you are correct, I'm sure you aren't getting any commercial value out of your $50 a year subscription are you?

Thank You.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Since this policy is only being explored in the LamborghiniChat forum, I question someone just subscribing for a Lamborghini subforum when the overall community is for Ferrari? I call B.S. on your B.S.

14. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    #14 ApexOversteer, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
    IMO, this Lamborghini subforum here is the best forum for Lamborghini on the web. It seems to provide the most information with the least bs, especially the Countach, Miura, 350/400GT, Diablo, Espada and Islero specific threads. I will be subscribing for the L-Section.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Interesting, I admit when I'm wrong. Just blows my mind someone would hang the decision of a subscription over a mod cleaning up a few thread titles in one sub-forum with the best intentions.

16. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    What if the user genuinely feels that this was not done with "the best intentions"? Afterall you know what they say about the road to Hell and those best intentions. I will grant you that until now, in the the public forum anyway, nobody has been speaking respectfully. People have been taking shots at eachother over this from the get-go. What needs to happen now is some deep breaths, speaking without barbs and perhaps some compromise from both sides.

Yes, perhaps this is silly. Perhaps this is overblown and obtuse. Sadly this is how people act when they don't have to look eachother in the eye while they speak.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm pretty much out of this conversation for now, I stand behind my mods (until I shoot them in the back ;)), but this is Ralph's baby.

Historically I'm sure it is some consideration that LamborghiniChat has more problems than most forums on FerrariChat, Roy and Joe also seem to be in the middle of drama now and then, and the activity in LamborghiniChat has increased.

There are several improvements we've thought doing, one is more sub-forums within LamborghiniChat.

18. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    #18 aquapuss, Nov 18, 2008
    No wonder. Allansmenstrualcyclekillsusall.

19. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Just since they were brought up specifically...

Joe and Roy are passionate about these cars and obviously passionate about everything in life. That is something they share in common, perhaps the only thing. Passion is a great thing when the conversation is about the cars. Not so much when it becomes about people's character.

IMO, and that's all it is, they are treated unfairly by some people who make a sport out of ruining threads by them, about them or ones they have posted in. Frankly some people feel threatened by them and lash out. They defend themselves the way they know best. It isn't pretty to watch, but I feel they're within their rights to do so. Regardless of the drama, or a person's personal feelings about Roy or Joe, their cars, or how they do business, they bring something real to the table, every single day. Not many other users can make that claim.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Glad you can do that.

Dont be blown away. It goes to the heart of: "don't put words in my mouth". Im sure if you sent me an e-mail, then I modified it and sent it on for others to view, you'd be upset if you found out, ESPECIALLY if you had no say!

Now how is that so hard for you to understand?

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Who said I don't understand, but I think thread titles are much like an article title the editor might change. I'm not big into changing titles, but certainly support Ralph's intentions here.

22. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    #22 Webby, Nov 18, 2008
    How about an active moderator for the North central section? Someone who actually lives in the region. Someone who can edit thread titles (for example if an event date is changed, to avoid confusion), merge topics (when 2 threads are created for a single event), etc etc. That forum needs cleaning up every once in a while, but none of the mods even glance at that section unless we call them in. At the last drive in Ft. Wayne there were at least 3 threads for the same event, all listing separate days, which eventually got sorted out but only after 10 or 20 posts repeating the same thing in increasingly larger font size.

Heck I would volunteer to do it. I know I've had a bit of a history with some other members, but if the only power is to manage threads, without giving them banning/user modifying powers, that wouldn't even be a factor. But I would personally nominate jim shadow or SMS if they are up for it. They are respected members and active on Fchat, not just in North Central.

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    LOL! How much published writing have you done? You know what happens when a writer's article title is changed by the editor without consultation? I think you're leaving out the mutual consent bit, unless of course thats not a consideration at your place.

24. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    i will be honored if a thread is named after me, GO GET ROY LOL, what are you guys complaining about?

25. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats

I asked him to leave me here so you would have a life....if I leave what would you do,,,??