Yacht-Master 40mm 2022 | FerrariChat

Yacht-Master 40mm 2022

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by 338Lapua, May 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    So there are a couple watches that my local AD has me on the list for. One of those watches is the Yacht-Master in oyster steel, 40mm, silver face. I got the call that one came in and it's mine if I want it. So I went and looked at it but I decided not to get it as I really like the blue face. Given that this is the last one they'll get this year, I won't be getting the Yacht-Master anytime soon.

I am on the list for a GMT Master II (Pepsi) and they are still expecting to get a couple in.

Did I mess up and not take the Yacht-Master? I really like the watch but I'm starting to build a collection and thought that I would be better off waiting for the GMT and then hopefully get the Yacht-Master next year.

I apologized to my AD and he completely understood my decision but I feel guilty for turning down this opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, the AD and I have a great relationship but when your called and offered a watch, I almost feel inclined to get it but then that would have probably prevented me from getting the GMT.

Having recently started into building a Rolex collection, is turning down a watch frowned upon on the Rolex world?

I know, first world problems....:D

2. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    FWIW my attitude and one that has always been present throughout the lengthy and excellent relationship I have with my AD is to buy what you are passionate about. Buying something that does not make your heart flutter just because it's offered should not be a "requirement" to get on the lists or get a call for something you truly want. While waiting for my SS/WD Daytona I passed on several with black dials and while waiting for my GMT II Batman I passed on a Kermit (i just dont like green- exception being a 50th Anniversary GMT- which i will never own) -

My attitude is if I grab something I'm not truly passionate about then I'm disallowing someone the opportunity to get something they truly want.

Just my .02 - Cheers :cool:

3. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Scott. You make very valid points and and that is why I passed on the watch. Don;t get me wrong, I really like the Yacht-Master but seeing the blue face on that style of watch, really caught my attention (and I really want the GMT first).

4. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Kudos- Stick with what you truly want- Now please have your AD contact my AD because I would take the silver dial YM in a heartbeat!! :D:cool:

E60 M5 likes this.
  5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    You are DOOMED!

Refusing to buy what has been graciously reserved for you is a serious breach in protocol.

Perhaps you would be better suited to Casio watches, as you are clearly lacking the fortitude to remain in the good graces of a Rolex AD.

Is this the answer you were seeking? :)

6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Not really....and I'm glad that wasn't the actual answer.....:p

BUT....if in the Rolex world this was frowned upon, then I would want honest feedback. Did I think this would put me in bad standing? No, but I had to confirm.

Innovativethinker likes this.
  7. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Ive turned down multiple steel and gold rolexes the past 2 years but still get called. But its hard to predict if you will be called again, just like anyone else.
    If you bought this watch, will they call you for the gmt, no guarantee they will.
    The only reason ill be keeping my yachtmaster is because its so hard to get a blue dial rolex.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

338Lapua and msquared like this.
  8. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Also to consider, Rolex has been coming out with new Yachtmaster variants in the last few years after an initial decade of the simple steel/platinum look. It is possible a new configuration comes out that you like better. The Pepsi on the otherhand is classic and only varies from 4,5,6 digit reference versions but overall is the same look.

338Lapua likes this.
  9. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    That blue dial Yacht-Master is great looking! That has confirmed that I want one.

I'm pretty sure I'll get the call for the GMT II. Is anything guaranteed? No, but as I mentioned, my relationship with my AD goes beyond buying watches so I'm not simply doing business with them in one area (which I think helps).

Good to know and you're right, if they are starting to produce other variants, I may like another style better.

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Why is the blue dial so hard to get?

Robb

11. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Actually, I have heard the opposite in the YM lineup. The Rhodium dial with the blue hands commands higher desirability and reflects on the grey market as a higher re sale. Get what you want, but I know the YM has been the up-and-coming new hot Rolex that has not hit the appreciation values as other models. They call it the rich man's sub!

12. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    You notice certain rolex models command extra for a blue dial. Even a Datejust blue dial has higher resale I observe at chrono24.
    Its just people wanting it. Dont know why.

But I asked my AD for a blue dial Skydweller and they told be straight out he wont be able to get me a Blue dial. Only Black or white.

The YM is a model still under the radar so it maybe easier at this moment, but id rather get a Steel/Platinum YM than an Explorer IMO.

It fits small, its a sports model, its a submariner with precious metal.

It basically has a case of a Daytona, dial of a submariner and platinum bezel.

13. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Repost deleted.

14. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    I just got the call from my AD for a Blue Dial White Gold Daytona. I have been on the list for over two years for it. The blue dial makes quite a statement. Late in the day photo doesn't really capture the color well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

• ROL.jpg
      ROL.jpg
      File size:
      109.7 KB
      Views:
  15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I know a guy who knows a guy who might be able to get him on the Casio list. No promises though.

Robb and Innovativethinker like this.
  16. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Stunning. Good for you. So fortunate. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Can't get on the Casio list...authorized AD told me no more after I flipped the last 50 I bought......:p:D.

18. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sick beautiful :cool::cool::cool:

ronfrohock likes this.
  19. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Glad you held out! Thats a beauty!!

20. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Just got the call. Another blue dialed Steel Rolex.
    Looks like the market is really down.

21. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I’ll take it. I’ve been on the list for over the years.
    Please pm me if you can help.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    It is a blue skydweller that ived been told i cant have. The softening of the market made me a lucky recepient.

Robb likes this.
  23. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    #23 drcollie, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    Blue dial Rolexes are hard to get in almost any series. Not as difficult as the Meteorite dials which are pretty much unicorns, but it helps if you have a really good relationship with your Authorized Dealer. The AD's most definitely play favorites, so when one of the high demand watches come in the customers they happen to like get the first refusal.

The Rolex market has only softened on ADM value over retail, they still sell very briskly at MSRP. For example, my Gold Daytona is $ 40,450 msrp which is what I paid for it (plus 6% VA sales tax). A year ago the flip price NIB on it was around $ 67K, now the flip price is closer to $ 60K. I was offered $ 55K for it immediately and declined, so that's not a bad ROI if I wanted to simply flip it. But I waited years for it, so why do that? They are still selling well over list price used in almost all models.

24. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    mikesufka and Shorn355 like this.
  25. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name: