Years ago in rural France | FerrariChat

Years ago in rural France

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin308GTB, Feb 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello together,

I'm busy at the moment tidying up my harddrive a little bit regarding old photographs.
    And just found old scanned slides I shot many years ago while driving through rural France from the eastern border to west coast Brittany off from the big motorways.

This I discovered in a small village.
    I post it in this section, because firstly it's my favourite section and secondly, because one picture contains a little bit of 308 content :)

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

bernardo66, ME308, mcimino and 2 others like this.
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice pics but I’m interested on that Lancia 037 in the background that’s on the trailer, any info on that?

3. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    The gold car in the first picture is a 4HL 330 GT. Any other pictures so I might be able to ID it?

About when were the picture taken?

Thanks for posting them.

Regards, Kerry

4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #4 Martin308GTB, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Hi Kerry,

one more picture I have of the 330. At least this shows a Crepaldi sticker. These were taken in summer 1988 in a small town or village near St. Dizier/F. Route Nationale 4. That's all I remember. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best Regards
    Martin

5. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Martin,
    do you have more pictures of the Miura ? :rolleyes:

I don't find any information about any Garage Marc ROxxx on RN4. But since 1988 that must be change

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Sorry, but no.
    When I zoom in I can identify, that it's 'Marc Roger'.

Best from Germany
    Martin

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    wow gt4 and millon dollar muira parked in the grass!

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nothing like seeing a million dollar car in the junk yard, not to mention the 330 GTC!

9. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  10. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Fantastic!!
    The Ligier JS2 is super rare too.

Thanks for sharing!

11. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Looking at the garden center billboard is must be in Saint-Dizier. What a sight!

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No, not necessarly in Saint-Dizier itself, more probably, as Martin wrote, in a (small) village close to Saint-Dizier. These billboards are usually used to advertise people form the nearby environment about the commerces that are in the nearest city.
    The question is "which village", as I have no idea where this can be, but knowing the route Martin must have taken, it makes sense at least geographically.
    What doesn't make much sense to me, as being "local" to eastern France, is that the "Département de la Haute-Marne", which includes the city of Saint-Dizier, is VERY rural, and has one of the smallest population in eastern France, and you wouldn't expect to find so many "exotics" in a such a village, and certainly not a "Miura". Note also that none of the cars seems to be registered in "52" (the last number on the plate indicates the departement of ownership, "52" being the local Haute-Marne) so the owner must have been someone collecting stranded cars, or rebuilding them: someone with a very special service, otherwise you would never have found such a collection of exotics in such a place, believe me...a "Miura" in the Haute-Marne would certainly have captured my attention back in 1988!

Rgds

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Would have been possible, considering the route Martin took, except that place is in the Département de l'Orne (61), which is in Normandy, west of Paris, and would have been near the end of Martin's trip (and not necessarly on the most direct route to Brittany)
    As said by "VetroresinaNL", the advertising billboards on the pics clearly situates it in the close nearby of Saint-Dizier, as said by Martin from memory, which is in a very rural Département, Haute-Marne (52), east of Paris (more or less mid-way between Strasbourg and Paris)
    Rgds

14. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Can you read the sign below the billboard, as that might give a clue? They not only handle classic but also modern stuff, as there is a 037.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, but no: the sign below the big billboard is for a furniture ("Meubles", in French) shop in Saint-Dizier. I'm pretty sure that the village must be in a radius of ten miles or less from Saint-Dizier, but where, that's the question. A quick search with the owner's name and "Haute-Marne" or "Saint-Dizier" does not deliver any result, but considering the pics were taken in 1988, that's not surprising.
    I'll take a few moments to think it over: as for any research, the keys are the key words. This is one example were "low tech" would help us: anyone having access to an old telephone book of the "departement de la Haute-Marne" for 1988 would find that "Garage Marc Roger" in the "yellow pages" (= business, professionnals) in a matter of seconds. I could ask the museum of the PTT, perhaps they have one...
    Rgds

VetroresinaNL likes this.
  16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hello together,

regarding the route I also remember, that I drove from my hometown -Bruno, you know- across the border through the 'Tunnel Maurice Lemaire' heading for Nancy and St. Dizier. And then I made a mistake regarding my information. In St. Dizier I left the N4 heading for Troyes and Orléans.
    Since I can remember this trip with the help of my pictures I remember, that we had picnic at a lake district, which was located directly alongside the road.
    I discovered the garage either a few minutes before or after our picnic or lunch break.
    Therefore I'm pretty sure, that it was somewhere on the blue highlighted route shown above.

Best Regards
    Martin

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The lake was very probably the "Lac du Der", Martin.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac_du_Der-Chantecoq

Rgds

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Although I suppose that the note on the map: "5 minutes, langsamer", which had me laughing, is not from 1988, as we did not have this type of maps in 1988?
    Or did you forgot to go "langsamer", which is the reason why you missed the RN4...

Rgds:)

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Since I was a poor student back in those days with a slow car :), and I planned a trip to Brittany on an old fashioned paper map avoiding any 'péage' and looked for scenic drives and interesting cities instead.
    I would have never discovered this garage, if I had taken the fastest route to Nantes via Strasbourg, Reims, Paris, Le Mans.

Best Regards
    Martin

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, that was a time where there still was a "fast" and "slow" option. There won't be any "fast" road after July 1st, 2018...speed will be limited to 80km/h (50 mph) on all roads except the highways...
    Rgds

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Even earlier, when my parents took me to France - during late 60s and 70s- I had the impression, that there was no 'slow'-option at all in France. Only 'faster' :) Yellow headlights, Gauloises and Gitanes. Purchasing tobacco products and wine over the nearby border for half the german price, etc., etc. Oh well, those former french times... all gone.
    The only thing, which is significantly faster nowadays is the new ferry I have to take across the Rhine River. But no way with the 308 GTB because of the deep front spoiler :-(
    But we still purchase a lot of food over there almost once a week :) (R.I.P. Paul Bocuse)

Best Regards
    Martin

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, the first speed limits were implemented in 1973, if my memory serves me right, at this time 15.000 Citizen lost their lives every year on the roads.
    And yes, the low spoiler can be a problem today. I took my 328 GTB once into Strasbourg, never again...the GTS only to Colmar, but it snowed for the whole day.
    Rgds

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Given the french style of driving back then and the fact, what cars were on the roads (2CV, R4, Dauphines, etc.) this number of 15.000 traffic victims doesn't surprise. And Germany had similar numbers in the early 70s. IIRC 1971 was the worst year.

BTW. Did you ever visit the Tour Auto? The historic event.... or even the actual Tour de France Automobile back in the days of the Gr.4 Daytonas or Michelotto 308?
    Nothing better for me.

Best Regards
    Martin

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Actually, it was 18.034 deaths in France in 1972, I have just checked.
    Visiting the Historic Tour Auto is easy for me, as the start is in Paris.
    Rgds