Yellow 288 GTO; how many exist?? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Yellow 288 GTO; how many exist??

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by adamF430, Sep 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I wish I had it.

But I think that if the owner would sell that car today, It would be very happy of the money earned. It's the only 288 thet leaved the factory with a color different than red and a prototype: top price

ciao

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No, 47649 was originally red with black leather, no air, manual windows, used for road and endurance tests, pictured in Auto Capital (May 1984, no. 3/5), and it contained the raised section on the rear bonnet. Later, it was modified by the factory: a/c, p/w, then repainted yellow. AFTER its repaint, THEN they sold it to their official dealer in Modena, Motor SRL.

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    That's correct: It's the true story of that car

Ciao

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thank you, Alberto. The erroneous details surrounding that car have perpetuated, for decades, like the tale surrounding Enzo Ferrari gifting 0253 EU to Henry Ford. Misinformation spreads like wildfire, especially on the Internet.

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I am counting ALL the cars including prototypes, and my only contention is that 47649 was ORIGINALLY red!

Nobody is disputing that it became yellow six (6) years later.

No, my assertion has always been that ALL Ferrari 288 GTOs were originally built in red, period.

I don't care if the car was later delivered in pink and it was personally painted by the Pope at the Vatican, my assertion is the car was originally built, used, and existed for six (6) years as a red GTO, as ALL of them were.

So true.

In 2007 47649 sold as Lot 224 at RM auctions for €506,000, that same year, the always-red standard non-prototype 56331 sold for more.

I think you meant to say YES, 47649 was originally red with black leather.

As I said earlier, "technically, it is indeed a post-production repaint from red to yellow", that much is indisputable, even if the factory did it.

Marcel puts it a little more briefly: "Born red, repainted yellow later", that sums it up.

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    So do you consider the second F50 prototype a Mondial because that's what was used as a base?

Ferrari never sold 47649 to anyone until AFTER they repainted it. They did the same thing with an Enzo prototype. They do things like that all the time - half the time they never have any intention of selling a prototype (at least not like in the past; today they probably already have customer names assigned to them). Who cares how long it took them to paint it. When they finally released it from their R&D division, they painted it yellow and sold it. It's a yellow car, from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    we all know the story of 47649, so no doubt it was modified after six years, but leaved the factory already modified. I prefer to think it was "completed" after six years. For me it's original what the Factory sells you and not what they did before. In any case, that's the story of the car: it's up to anyone opinion, as facts are not objects of discussion.

But there is a big news about the 288 prototypes engines (at least about one of them). It will be written on my new book about all the four turbo models of the eigthties, 208 GTB/GTS turbo, 288 GTO, "328" GTB/GTS turbo, F40.

When will my new book be completed? within six years!

But I can already sell you a lot of prototypes... :D

ciao

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, brilliant. Can you tell me about other books you've written?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Sorry, this one will be the first

Ciao

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Looking forward to it.

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy

I'm inclined to see proof that it was six years before 47649 was repainted from red to yellow. Not that those six years make any difference in my point, but who exactly dictated that it was six years before the factory repainted the car? It was built in 1983, yes; it was first spotted in June, 1989, yes, after it was purchased by the first customer and brought to an event in Italy. But where's the documentation that says that the factory waited six years to paint it?

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #87 Albert-LP, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    The Classiche department at the Factory has everything, so they can tell it officially, if the owner will ask them and pays what they ask. Very likely it was completed and painted after the Motor S.p.A. placed the order: I think it was the customer that asked for the Yellow and the options.

That's why I wrote "it was completed" in 1990. The registration plate (MO 84...) is from March 1990, not 1989.

Ciao

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The year the plate was issued certainly helps. But it still doesn't discern when the car was painted - not that it matters - it could've been painted a hundred times, but it was yellow when the factory sold it to the original owner, so it counts as yellow in my book. Its prototype history is recorded, but it's still pre-customer history.

Acacg likes this.
  14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, it's a cars sold as yellow. Which book are you meaning? Did you write a book about the GTO?

ciao

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No, I'm referring to the completion and arrival of your own work on the GTO.

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I will visit ing. Nicola Materazzi, the 288 and F40 father, very soon: If you have a question, I will ask it for you. The same for every other forum member.

Ciao

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I am not going to be drawn into any useless circular logic, I am asserting only one thing:

47649 WAS BUILT AS A RED GTO - INDISPUTABLE FACT.

Albert, I recall just a few weeks ago when you PM'd me asking for use of my images in your upcoming publication. Do you recall this? Perhaps you have forgotten that I generously consented to help you with your effort by granting you unlimited use of whatever you liked. Do you recall this? It seems your online demeanor is quite different from your private demeanor, very disappointing.

As he states, so far, he's written and published none, its all wishful thinking and claims at this point, as we have seen from many others, meanwhile, here are 2 publications of mine that are out in International circulation, I think they speak for themselves The Lamborghini Miura Bible ? Joe Sackey | Joe Sackey Classics & The Book of the Ferrari 288 GTO ? Joe Sackey | Joe Sackey Classics

I must confess, so am I!

I'm inclined to see proof that Ferrari SpA themselves painted 47649 yellow in-house and not an affiliate such as Pininfarina SpA, do you or Albert have a verifiable Ferrari SpA work invoice which you can post showing they painted the car yellow @ Maranello?

That would clarify not only the date of painting, but the alleged location of painting, the latter a matter of some conjecture.

Also, you say it was first spotted in June 1989? How so, if by your own admission it was featured in the May 1984 issue of AutoCapital magazine as a red car?

Yes it does matter, if the car was painted six (6) years after it was first featured as a red car, it is strictly a post-production modification, albeit by the factory. Since we are all opining on what should be, if I owned this car, the first thing I would do is put it back to red as featured in the May 1984 issue of AC magazine.

Actual successful published works are few & far between.

I think he says his work-to-be will be on the V8s.

Tell him I say hello, I have a substantial file on the GTO & F40 which he gave me including technical drawings, diagrams and prototype images, some of which are in the F40 Prototype thread.

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Joe, I Know you are an authority about the 288 GTO: I learned a lot about the car reading your 288 GTO fantastic thread. Yes, I wrote you the permission to use your fantastic collection of 288 GTO pictures: I don't own a 288 nor a friend of mine so I have to ask someone. I think I asked to the right man, as I know who you are. I also wrote you that each 288 picture will have the writing "picture courtesy of Joe Sackey Classics LLC": Correct? Is that ok? My book is not about the GTO: It's about all the V8 turbocharged cars.
    This said (and thank you again) I don't understand this fight about the yellow car. The story is what you both said: Built in red, sold ad yellow. No more, no less. I'm doing many search about the 288 as it's a car I never had.

Have a nice evening

Ciao

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    And maybe my book will be just as private use, means not for sale, as I'm having a lot of difficulties to find the Formula 1 cars pictures: There are two small chapters about the 126CK (plus the 126C and 126 CX) and 126 C2 and having the official permission to publish Ferrari F1 cars pictures is not easy at all. So (maybe) it will be just printed in some copies for my friends and given as present, so there's no problem with © whatever picture I will put on it. That's a pity because it's coming out a nice book with several exclusive contents, never published before.

I'm just an (old) enthusiast and I'm not here to play the game of who has the longest pri@k.

Ciao

20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #95 SAFE4NOW, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Mighty nice of you, on all counts!

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I'm confused; do you think my only interest in Ferraris is in the V12s? My love for Ferrari runs so deep, that the Mercedes guy who runs FoLI wouldn't even recognize or understand half the models I'd mention if we got into a discussion. I saw a picture on Facebook a while back of what I thought was an ASA, and that took almost an hour out of my day; and it's "just" an ASA.

As for all of your other quotes - like you said, circle of logic.

...buuut, because I'm an ass, I'll go ahead and point out a few things:

1. The thread starter asked how many yellow GTOs exist - I answered, and I did so with aplomb (wow, I don't think I've ever used that word to describe myself; cool).

2. The discussion then deteriorated into what we have now - and I'm still on the right side of the fence (see number one).

3. By your reasoning, everything should be regarded as how that thing begins. So a flower is always just a seed, people are always just little squirts of pearl jam, and the second F50 prototype (F130 Prototype No. 2) is really just a Mondial with no rear clip (I've notated in my database that you regard this car, 95592, as a Mondial).

Ferrari has modified all kinds of cars, for all kinds of reasons, before they left the factory. So why is this GTO different? Whenever a 308 GTB left the factory with a 308 GTS badge on the dash, did you mark it as a GTS? Before the P4/5 got the official Ferrari-badge okay from Montezemolo, did you count it as a non-Ferrari? And, ahem, where exactly do you stand on la Camionette?

Here's an interesting story...

More than 20 years ago, a guy named Gary from Beaver, Pennsylvania, bought a 1983 308 GTS QV (48715) from Auto Palace in Pittsburgh, where it was advertised as red with tan interior, and 28,000 miles. But when Gary took delivery of the car, he thumbed through its official records and noticed that it's actually supposed to be green with tan leather. The S.p.A factory records list it as green with tan interior (check MODIS), and the FNA records show that it was built new as red with tan interior (and when they delivered it to the original selling dealer, it was red, repainted from green before being delivered).

So which one is it? Do I mark this car as red/tan in my database? Or do I mark it as green/tan in my database?

Obviously I do both, because I maintain exceptional records, and because I'm never choosing any side - merely documenting everything. But if I HAD to choose - if I had to pick just one, if I was in a courtroom and the judge told me I had to answer with just ONE color combination, what would you do if you were me? Is it red over tan, or green over tan?

And is that story cool enough that we can forget about 476-something-whatever-it-is, or will this be an ongoing discussion? I'm fine with it either way, but I might send you a bill to fix my laptop screen (not because you broke it, you didn't break it, I broke it, but because typing while I look at the television is starting to hurt my neck, and I just had back surgery three weeks ago).

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Alberto, relax.

I have no fight over the formerly-red now-yellow GTO

All I pointed out was that it was originally built in red, as ALL 288 GTOs were, again, this is an indisputable fact and there is no fight over this.

If you are going to publish a book, you'll quickly find that questioning a car's post-production modification status is simply good due-diligence, not fighting.

As far as I'm concerned, who painted this car yellow and when is still unproven to me, that said, I'll be happy to note any documentation that helps clarify the who & when.

Non-runner?

Yes you are, but to help focus you back on-topic, the simple question I'll ask again is: do you have a Ferrari SpA invoice proving that 47649 was in fact painted at the Maranello factory by the works as you claim?

This would not only clear up the conjecture about who painted this car yellow, but, it will also put to rest exactly when the car was painted.

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I won't have big problems to learn who and when painted and completed the yellow car, as I know how to reach the former dealership owner that sold the car (that today closed the activity). I just need some time and the right moment: but he won't give me any written evidence, of course, just words.

I'm lucky as I live in Modena area, so everything started here and it's not so much difficult to meet the persons who did the story.

I already talked with many important characthers of Ferrari history to collect some info for my book, and there will be others (Materazzi, Michelotto, Rossi, Vincenzi are among the ones I still have to meet). All had relevance with turbo cars (project leader 288 and F40, dvelopment and racing 288 and Evoluzione, project leader 208 turbo, official sales and assistance point in Modena). I think that Materazzi will not add anything to the yellow car issue, as, for what I know, he didn't work anymore for Ferrari in 1989-1990.

I will keep you updated here.

ciao

25. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    A question for you all, did the car cover any miles between the colour change, and why did it remain with Ferrari so long?

If the car was fully completed as a red car and ready to sell then I see Joe's logic, if it was just partially assembled then painted yellow and then completed, the red could be classed as just a base colour like a primer, in which case the yellow is really its final spec colour.

The reality is its a unique example of a 288 regardless and that is no bad thing :)