Yellow 288 GTO; how many exist?? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Yellow 288 GTO; how many exist??

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by adamF430, Sep 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Then please keep an open mind, as I said, I'm inclined to see proof that Ferrari SpA themselves painted 47649 yellow in-house and not an affiliate such as Pininfarina SpA or in fact someone else. So far, I have seen ZERO proof in the firm of a verifiable Ferrari SpA work invoice showing they painted the car yellow @ Maranello as you and Carb have claimed within this thread. The burden of proof is on you guys.

Paul, it was a complete running & driving car, featured in the May 1984 issue of AutoCapital magazine as a red GTO, as already posted here, in case you missed that.

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #102 PAUL500, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Ah I see, yes I did miss that, I thought it was a car that had never been used and released by the factory some years after production ceased.

Another question then, is it the same actual car as appeared in 1984 or did Ferrari simply recycle the VIN from a scrapped chassis of an unsold car many years later in order to produce the yellow example? as they have been known to do this before with other models.

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No idea my friend, perhaps Alberto or Carb can answer your questions, all I know is that 47649 was born red!

4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The only 288 GTO that was built 'late' was a fix for one that burned up. I can't quote a serial number; just that an accommodation was made for the owner.

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Please define "late".

Late as in towards the end the actual Production run?

Late as in Post-Production after the production had finished but before F40 production started?

Late as in after F40 production started or onwards?

BTW, I think the car you are referring to was posted in the GTO thread, and, as an aside, by any definition of late as described above, if you investigated thoroughly, you might find it's not the "only one" that fits the aforementioned categories.

During my investigation of both the Lamborghini & Ferrari factories for my Miura & GTO books, I found that the only way you can account for all the post-production cars would be if you worked at the factory or had access to all their records as some of the post-production work done for certain VIP clients was very, how shall we say, unofficial.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    While I'm amused that you first confirm that I AM confused, and then, second, try to get me back on course by completely changing the subject from which the confusion stemmed, I still understand why you did it. With that said, I politely defer you to your own FerrariChat signature - the truth shall set you free, my friend.

And, honestly, do I really need an invoice? Can't I just say I know Marcel Massini, like everyone else? Everyone knows that 47649 is the fifth GTO prototype, and that it was originally red; and everyone also knows that the factory painted it yellow BEFORE they sold it to its first customer. NO ONE has EVER provided contrary FACTS. And that IS what we're talking about here - facts.

So YOU show ME the invoice; you show and tell ME something - ANYTHING - that differs with what I've now redundantly posted; that differs with what everyone knows and on which everyone (but you) seems to be in agreement. And so the burden of proof is on YOU, as you're the only one who's disputing it.

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    If we want to get technical, since Joe is intent on disputing every fact I post, then, yeah, sure, the car incomplete - it was missing the right rearview mirror, which wasn't installed (by SRL) until 1990, AFTER it was painted yellow (by the factory). The factory also didn't initially build this car with power windows or air conditioning ...because it was a prototype; a press and show car prototype - more facts Joe seems to be forgetting.

And when it was depicted in Auto Capitol, that was the May, 1984 issue - back when the car was still being shown (because, again, it was a press and show car prototype), which was BEFORE the factory installed the a/c and power windows. I mean, c'mon, how much more proof does anyone need?

AFTER the factory installed the a/c and power windows, THEN they repainted it yellow, THEN they sold it, in 1987, to a "special Ferrari customer." When it was spotted in June, 1989, at a Ferrari Club Italia meet at Imola, it had 1,790 KM on the odometer.

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Well, 53321 was burned in February, 2001, in Frankfurt, after which it was completely rebuilt in Italy, and now belongs to a "French collector."

In June, 1990, near Vienna, Count Dr. Franz Mayr-Melnhof's GTO, 55175, was seriously burned, and then rebuilt by the factory. Now that I think of it, he also crashed his F40 in which he killed his secretary and sustained injuries from he himself died a week later. I guess he had bad luck with cars.

Ed Henning of Charleston, SC, bought a GTO new, and it was burned and totaled in August, 1993, in a garage fire, after which it was offered by several brokers and salvage dealers. As of May, 1999, FNA reported that this car, last seen owned by Ralph J. Fasano of Locust Vallery, NY, had NOT had the seatbelt retractor recall addressed - probably because it was burned and totaled and listed as a salvage-title car, and so it wouldn't surprise me if it STILL hasn't been done. I don't know who fixed this car, or when, but I highly doubt it was the factory. It was last seen registered in Florida in 2011.

But I don't think any of those cars are the one to which you were referring. Do you have any additional information about the late-build burnt-up/fixed car that I might use as search criteria, to find the right car in my database?

By the way, if anyone wants a GTO Evoluzione, please let me know. I know of one that's not for sale, but can still be had; it's pricey, but I'm supposed to get a nice commission - and since Sackey won't pay to fix my laptop screen, I'm gonna have to source that elsewhere.

9. mrtrig

mrtrig Rookie

Nov 27, 2011
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    phil trigiani
    The one that was on display at Pebble on Sunday was in fact the only yellow car. It was a personal car of Enzo Ferrari and won the people's choice award. It is the only 1983 288 GTO as built in the factory and sold at the RM Auction in Maranello a few years ago. Current owner is a huge Ferrari collector in South Florida who decides to be very private.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think the burden of proof is always on the one making the claim, in this case, the claim that Ferrari SpA itself painted this car yellow, and not an affiliate or independent cincessionaire. If we operate on the basis that unless someone can can disprove a claim, said claim becomes fact :eek: then we are all in trouble! :D

Carb do relax, I'm not disputing every post you make at all, I'm simply wanting to learn more and have the complete picture, I know the car was a prototype with special circumstances, I havent forgotten any of those details, hey at least we agree the car was built red, so that's good, right? :)

11. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    Did anyone get any shots of it they could post up?

12. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    For Carbon and Joe the 288 GTO was on a test drive from Maranello Ferrari in Woodbridge Ontario Canada. While out with the dealership mechanic the GTO caught fire and was damaged. The factory fixed the car and the best date I could recall based on some other events was approximately 1994.

14. GabrielGD

GabrielGD Rookie

Aug 24, 2017
    #114 GabrielGD, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. GabrielGD

GabrielGD Rookie

Aug 24, 2017
    #115 GabrielGD, Aug 24, 2017
    Albert-LP likes this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks for the info, so essentially this was a repair, and not a manufacture of a brand new GTO.

Does anyone know of a brand new GTO that was FIRST released by Ferrari SpA later than March 1986?

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, the burden of proof is on YOU, because YOU'RE the one making the claim that it might've been painted outside of the factory, AFTER the first owner took delivery.

Joe, I AM relaxed - part of the problem with the Internet is the obfuscation of inflection. I, too, am striving to learn - to continue learning, and to learn as much as I can, through interacting with experts, authorities, and mostly through experience. But in this instance, all of the necessary information is there, and it's agreed-upon by everyone except you. I don't know if Ferrari owned Zanasi back then - probably not - but even if they were doing some of Ferrari's paintwork back in the '80s, there's no indication that this car was painted outside of the factory. Did the factory even make in-house invoices back in the '80s when they repainted a car?

Also, since we're still hung up on technicalities, can you answer my other question from the other day, about 48715.

Also, don't forget the indisputable FACTS stated here.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    We can agree we are all trying to learn, and in that regard, I'm inclined to see proof that this particular GTO was painted by Ferrari SpA, I'm not disputing it, I was simply wanting to know how this was determined & accepted, meanwhile, it's worth noting that questioning something is different from disputing it.

All is good.

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I spend my life questioning everything - inside and outside of Ferrari-related topics - so I can understand and agree with that perspective. But there has never been any dispute as to whether or not the factory repainted 47649, as opposed to an outside source, or the owner's preference - it was painted by the factory before they ever sold it to the first owner.

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #121 134282, Aug 27, 2017
    Acacg, WJHMH and of2worlds like this.
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No worries.

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I'm practically ataraxic - I never worry.

23. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    #124 Christian.Fr, Sep 1, 2017
    Acacg and of2worlds like this.
  24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004