Yellow 288 GTO; how many exist?? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Yellow 288 GTO; how many exist??

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by adamF430, Sep 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ever the voice of Ferrari wisdom, thank you Marcel!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Not avoiding anything. I just cannot remember 34 years later and after having seen ten thousands of Ferraris since. Really very sorry.

Marcel Massini

Acacg and of2worlds like this.
  3. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Andreas Birner ©

Acacg likes this.
  4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I was only pulling your leg Marcel :) but going from transverse to longitudinal was a dramatic leap from the 328 to the 288 and I thought that would have stuck in your memory more than whether the engine had a carb or was injected thats all.

Acacg and of2worlds like this.
  5. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
    That's it!

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    after a long search, I found and talked in person with all this guys related with the "yellow" 47649: The one that got it from Ferrari, the one that was the first owner, the one that did the first road test with the yellow livery. They are three different guys. And the story is a bit different than reported on various internet sites.

I'm trying to do a small chapter about the whole story on my book

I thank everyone here as you all together raised my curiosity about the story of that car and so I made some moves to learn what happened.

ciao

Acacg, of2worlds and Christian.Fr like this.
  7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #208 Albert-LP, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
    This one is prototype No.1, the carbed one. It never became a 288 GTO: It died as you see it.

Then it was replaced by another car: the well known car designed by Nicola Materazzi, that is the one we know.

This one was not a "Materazzi's daughter": it was the "Bellei" car.

So this one is just a mule, then aborted: first idea of a GTO.

You can see it in the first schetch here below.

But the 288 GTO we know is not this one: it was an aborted project.

Then Materazzi became the project leader and erased this car, starting a new one.

ciao

P.S. the picture doesn't come from my book but from an official Ferrari De Agostini book

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Dani Modena

Dani Modena Rookie

Dec 1, 2022
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hill
    Forgive me for following up on a thread from over 12 years ago. I was looking for info on the yellow prototype. Thank you to all concerned about that.

In regards to the 4 x 288 GTO’s converted for the Brunei Royal Family - all 4 were made RHD. Paolo Garella has confirmed this and I’ve seen photos of all 4. The red one clearly has its wipers now going to the right as you look at it from the front, there’s photos of Paolo sitting in the blue one, and the slate grey one is also clearly now a right hooker. There’s copious footage of the black one which I think now resides in the UK Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Serobson, Acacg, Demigod555 and 2 others like this.
  9. Yang

Yang Rookie

Mar 9, 2024
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Yang Cao

Saw this video today, towards the end of the video, David revealed the yellow 288 gto.

of2worlds and F40org like this.