Yep, I've searched: opinions please on 308 tires | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Yep, I've searched: opinions please on 308 tires

Discussion in '308/328' started by ClydeM, Sep 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are designed for high performance in dry and wet conditions - NOT snow- never drive with them in snow.
    Enzo is watching. (I hear he doesn't like to see his cars in the snow- that's what SUVs are for.)

2. modenachaser

modenachaser Karting

Aug 8, 2006
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Andrew Pyle
    Try these tires. Great wet and dry traction, ride much smoother than the Michelin Pilots, have a much greater treadwear rating and are cheaper.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Hey, I just saw this post...interesting. I am on my second set of Goodyear F1's on my BMW and have had to have the fronts rebalanced several times...very annoying and not sure if the tire is moving on the rim or not. Never had this problem with the first set, nor has it happened on my 355 which were bought just a few months before the purchase of the second set for the BMW.

4. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
    I agree on Bridgestone RE750's, corner good, quiet in corners, slight rim protection built into bead,
    no flat spots from sitting, very reasonably priced, haven't need to rebalance them, wearing very well.
    If I needed a set today, I would buy the same.

5. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have Yokohama ES100s. Very good tire and extremely well priced

6. lee328gts

lee328gts Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    planet earth
    Full Name:
    Lee

7. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    I had the same, and it turned out to NOT be the tires!

What wheels do you have?

Some F-car models had different diameters for the front and rear center hub! Top of my head: 58 mm front and 68 mm rear. Supposedly to prevent some yahoo mechanic to mount the wider rear wheels at the front and vice versa.

If you then take a bunch of aftermarket wheels with 68 mm center holes, they will NOT center on the fronts!! This will show at around the 60 mph mark, where the steering wheel will start to shake a bit and you think, darn, need another balance again....

Search the fchar archives for "hub center rings".

I got mine for free from superformance.co.uk, where I had also bought my wheels. These are two simple nylon rings, enlarging the front hubs to 68 mm as well. Problem solved completely!

Hans

8. lee328gts

lee328gts Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    planet earth
    Full Name:
    Lee
    thanks for the reply. I have the factory 1987 328 wheels. lee

9. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I was going to add that I have been absolutely amazed at the traction from dead starts in the rain with my F1 GS D3 tires. They hook up pretty damn good!

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    The F1 GS-D3's went on the car today. I'll let you know what I think.

The front Dunlops came off looking good. I kept them.
    The rears: The one that went flat had an "annurism" or bubble since the day they went on a year+ ago. I suspect that's where the flat came from. The other side was showing signs of wear. Both showed signs the alignment was off. Considering I don't spin or smoke the tires, I was surprised at the amount of wear.

Tirerack has a goodyear $40 gift card available when you purchase these tires for this month.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

Hans,
    On my BMW they are the factory oem 17x8 and 17x9 staggered set up. First set of Goodyear F1 tires were no problem. It is this second set that is problematic. With others experiencing the same thing, I am suspecting a QC issue.