355 - Yes, another active suspension default light on thread | FerrariChat

355 Yes, another active suspension default light on thread

Discussion in '348/355' started by radback, Nov 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Hi,
    I have searched and found many subjects especially about actuators, but my problem seems different.

I bought the car with the active suspension default light always on.
    (OK maybe it went away a couple of times but not for long).

During the recent service I asked the shop to check this issue.
    They removed the rear actuators, (teeth are OK) they greased them and put them back.

Error code shows the 2 rear actuators in default, but...
    Both actuators are turning when the contact is on, and after a while the light came off.

After driving more than an hour with the suspension light off, and playing with the suspension switch (without really noticing a difference between sport and comfort) while I had to climb a long steep ramp to get back in my garage, the default light went on again! :(

Next drive with the suspension light on while going out, I didn't notice exactly when, but the light went off again.
    I drove again more than an hour, switching the active suspension many times and the light stayed off all the time.
    And guess what: while coming back home on the steep ramp, the light came on again!o_O

So, would you say the issue is still from weak actuators, or some sensor or else?
    Any help welcome!

Thank you :)

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The default light or the fault light?

Did your mechanics look at the actuator plastic internals to see if any were broken? The technicians may have looked at the gears on top of the shock struts, but not the internals of the actuators.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

You can either send the bad units to Captain Z CNC to have them tested/repaired... or swap the front and rear actuators and when the problem returns, take the car back to the workshop to see if the faults have changed position. The frunk luggage compartment liner has to be removed. This can be fiddly. I think I would just send my actuators to Captain Z (even if the US dollar is a little high at the moment). It shouldn't take too long.

The repaired units have white plastic rings around them.

If you are worried about "cosmetics", you can always swap them to the front at a later date.

If the actuators are ok, then you may have to have the shock struts replaced or possibly repaired (if you can find someone to do this).

Wiring defects seem to be rare. I suppose you could aways carry out restance checks between the Bilstein ECU (in the passenger footwell) and the actuators. Is your car a 2.7 or 5.2?

5.2 diagram:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/9vq3JaS6Z7HSHQIf

3. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    "Default light" on. 5.2 car indeed.

I wonder why I can drive an hour playing with the active suspension switch with this "default light" staying off, and suddenly it lights on after climbing my parking ramp.
    Even if the code error indicated rear actuator problem, It sounds to me this is not reflecting a bad actuator but something else, doesn't it?
    Like a position sensor maybe? (thanks for the diagram by the way)

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is it F1 or gated?

Does your suspension selector have "S" or SPORT on it? Or just a graphic of a shock absorber without the "S"? What is the symbol on the light?

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #5 Qavion, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I don't understand why you don't have a fault light on. You seem to have (possibly) two faulty rear actuators. Is your fault light bulb ok?

My car has the old type switch (no "S" or "SPORT"). I had a problem where if I selected "comfort" (the instrument panel comfort light came on normally) and the fault light came on intermittently.

With the switch in position "2", the light is supposed to come on. Is it not going off in position "1"?

It could simply be a faulty selector switch. Could you try swapping the fog and suspension switches? (Some centre console disassembly required). However, this doesn't not explain why are you are not getting a fault light.

When you turn on your sidelights or headlights, does your suspension switch icon illuminate?

7. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    #7 radback, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    By "default" I mean "defective", not in a sense of "preselected option".
    In French it could be used for both use by just adding a prefix, but here it was a bad choice. My mistake sorry.

I'm talking about the number 19 light of course, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.
    Sorry for the confusion.:)

The number 2 light works when using the comfort mode. I have absolutely no issues with any lights on the board.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ah.. OK.

Perhaps the weight shift to the rear when climbing the ramp put strain on the shocks or actuators. I've had intermittent lights because of broken components in the actuators. Sometimes the plastic gears are in the right position, othertimes not. Broken gears do not always produce "hard" faults.

9. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    I don't know.
    What is strange is that since I bought the car 3 months ago, this "something is wrong" light :D stayed on all the time.
    And, now after the shop checked it, it stays off until driving this ramp.
    It shouldn't.
    It would be interesting to check if the error codes are still there when the light is off.
    I don't think so.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Old faults do stay in the ECU memory, but only active faults put on the light. If you change an actuator due to a fault, the light will disappear by itself. The Ferrari tool is only required for clearing the memory after an actuator change.

Maybe the gear lubrication worked for a while.

These actuators are quite fragile. I've replaced/repaired 3 on my car.

11. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    I agree: the grease added during the service helped, but why the fault appears only while climbing the ramp?

12. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Another drive today.
    Turn on the car: suspension malfunction light ON.
    Getting down the ramp then on the road: light OFF
    Driving around, playing with the switch: everything OK.
    Getting back on the garage ramp: light ON again during climbing :mad:

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You have three options:

1) Take the car back to the garage for another check to see if you have one or two defects (the same as before) or different fault/s.
    2) Start changing parts by yourself.
    3) A combination of the above.

Since the scanner picked up the rear actuators, it makes sense to change one of those. It doesn't make sense to change other components if they are not being faulted by the ECU.

Gravity. If you have loose/broken components in the actuators, they may be moving into a position which causes more friction (or jamming) when you are climbing the ramp.

At least pull the actuators off yourself and look for loose components. Make sure that the actuators themselves are seated properly. Sometimes they look and feel ok, but need an extra push.

14. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #14 PhilB, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    Isn't there a motion/level sensor behind the front bumper? Maybe the connection is lose or it is malfunctioning when encountering the steepness of your driveway.

EDIT: I'm wondering if your problem is really with part 62; 177149; ANTI-LIFT SENSOR; -Valid from car Ass. Nr. 30762 GS and from car Ass. Nr. 30760 GD

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Why wasn't the acceleration sensor faulted by the ECU? The connection on the sensor runs laterally, not longitudinally, so less chance of gravity affecting the connector.

There is a rectangular metal block inside the sensor which has been known to come loose and short out components (blowing the AC fuse), but, again, why isn't it being faulted by the ECU.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Correction. The horizontal accelerometer plug runs laterally, but the vertical sensor plug runs longitudinally.

Vertical sensor:

The anti-lift sensor is for the immobiliser system.

17. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Actuators has just been checked by the shop and they told me they looked OK.
    They said the motors might be weak, but when checking they turned as they should.
    They're not new that's for sure, as the light was always ON before they were greased, but why change them if they work properly? Couldn't it be something else wrong?
    I mean if my parking entrance were flat I wouldn't even notice this problem (as I don't even notice a real difference between sport and comfort mode so maybe it's because the system doesn't work properly).

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #18 Qavion, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    Most people have trouble noticing a difference between sport and comfort even when the system is working properly.

If you're self diagnosing the system without a Ferrari diagnostic tool, all you can do is play the odds. 9 times out of 10, the actuators are faulty.... and you had fault messages saying they were faulty.

Normally you remove the actuators to watch the internals moving (after turning on the ignition key). The motors are not under load in this situation. They are not changing the position of the shock strut gears. The motors could still be weak.

It doesn't take long to inspect the actuators yourself for peace of mind. Just don't lose the spring clip. You may have to take off the engine bay side covers (3 bolts) for better access. My cover is held on with 3.5mm allen screws. Yours may be the same or regular screws.

19. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Yes I know, but why would they not show faulty all the time and just faulty on the ramp?
    Before the light was ON all the time, so I was OK to change the parts that were listed bad in the diagnostic, but now, I know they're OK most of the time.
    Something else should be bad.

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The rear shocks may be under greater load when going up the ramp. Maybe the actuators show their weakness when the actuators are under load. Or, the gears in the actuators may be loose and bind when at a larger road angle (again, this may be a weak motor showing its inability to turn the gears). The greasing has helped, but the underlying problem is still there.

Why don't you check the plugs on the ECU for security and cleanliness. This has a low difficulty rating for do-it-yourselfers. It's mounted on the floor, just in front of the passenger footwell fuse/relay panel.

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This feature is such ... useless. The light is super annoying. If it were my car, I would fake that light out.

22. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    I could do that.

I could do that too :D

23. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Just a question about the system itself: would the "problem" light would come ON if the actuators would turn but not as much as they supposed too?

I made another drive test today and the light came ON after passing a huge speed bump, and went OFF after only few meters (and of course came back ON after climbing my parking ramp).

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Yes. Part of the wiring between the ECU and each actuator is a position feedback circuit. If the actuator can't reach the commanded position , it should throw a fault light.

25. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    OK Thanks. So my system is working perfectly except while the lamp goes ON on the ramp?
    That's good enough for me to not spending thousands for changing some parts to fix something I can't really feel.

Still I'm curious to know what is the issue :)
    I'll check the ECU connection next time as you advised me.