yet another battery jump question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

yet another battery jump question

Discussion in '360/430' started by aslowdodge, Nov 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    Guys....this is not rocket science. I think the stories about blowing modules or instruments are from stupid people connecting large wheeled chargers and using the "Start" position on a flat battery, which is very harmful to an electrical system. One thing easy to do is add a battery monitor that checks the battery voltage and gives data to your cell phone using Bluetooth (wireless). The app has a graph and you can do a starter test and a charging test, they are less than $25 and draw 2ma and won't drain a battery. They will connect to your phone automatically when you are in the garage driving another car and even warn you when you should connect a charger. BM2 is the model I use and I have them on 4 or 5 cars (don't use the CTEK unit as it very unreliable). Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The very handy Lithium battery packs can be used when the car is dead in a parking lot or girlfriend's house and it isn't convenient to change the battery. Connect the pack and let it equalize the charge with the car's battery for 5-10 minutes and then start the 360/430/whatever and disconnect the pack while the car is running. Also know that the best spot for connecting to the electrical system is behind the drivers seat, two big studs for a ground and terminal for positive clamp (at least on the 360 and probably on the 430 too). Carry a stubby Philips screwdriver for access. Check some of my posts for pictures. And remember: friends don't let friends buy optima batteries!

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86TR, 99 360 3pedal, 05 S-160Bobcat

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    No, it is fairly advanced EE stuff. Do you really need something to monitor your battery? I would say yes, if you don't have power in your garage but if you do, just use a tender and forget about it.

3. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    I bought a lithium battery pack from Costco. According to instructions after you hook it up you have 30 seconds to start the car so that 5 minute equalization is not possible.
    I had to jump start a 2007 f150 twice this past weekend even though it had been sitting on a battery tender which indicated a full charge.