Yet another tragedy on Scottsdale Road | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Yet another tragedy on Scottsdale Road

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Challenge64, Dec 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Yep...70 based upon a police statement prior to actual calculation of speed...a guess.

They'll get the speed out of the data boxes and nail some testicles to the wall for 7+ years. On top of criminal charges, there's civil litigation that's bound to be forthcoming.

2. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    2 cars doing 139 mph in a 55 zone is pretty incontrovertible evidence that they were racing recklessly.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the link. Do all cars sold nowadays have these black boxes? Great little devices for establishing the facts.

3. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    seems like someone else does as well

4. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Did I say I didn't?

Scud, it's called yoga. Try it.

5. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    not you mate , korr . get with the program :rolleyes:

6. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Indeed. No Mercedes products have event data recorders, but most General Motors and Ford products do, according to Wikipedia. It's likely that the Mustang did, and certain that the Mercedes did not.

7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Think its actually a 45 zone. I drove through the intersection today and the street /curbs / grass/ ect still show damage & skid marks. very sad.

8. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Hey Ron, yes you are correct, its a 45mph.
    But, unlike a lot the Scottsdale Road signals, the one before Eastwood is a long ways and its conceivable that 100+ mph speeds could be achieved. But, those speeds would feel wicked fast on that road. I drove a moddest 50mph and felt like I was driving faster than I should. Something about the lane width, trees, curb, and other cars around.

9. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I worked for MB for 8 years.....you "can" scan the ECU with the proprietary Benz supplied computer and access the last known data........rpm, temperatures, gears, etc, etc.....

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
  12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    mercedes definetly has recorders! Again... only accessed by MBUSA and MB AG. They only fly these technical experts out when MB is being sued and they need to put 100% liability on the driver. This occured in the case of the test drive the the Cl (it was either a 55 or 65amg) at the schumacher dealership by an elderly couple which ended with the MB being crashed leaving a dead husband and a paralyzed salesperson. The womens reason for driving like that... that expensive and high performance of a car should have been able to take a corner (90 degree) at that speed... The woman was holding MB responsible for the death of her husband... so MB came out... ran the scan... proved that not even the brakes were applied before she went speeding through the corner... CASE CLOSED.