Yngwie Malmsteen's collection | FerrariChat

Yngwie Malmsteen's collection

Discussion in 'Florida' started by club0, Aug 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey guys, some of you probably know the amazing guitar player Yngwie Malmsteen who lives down in Florida. He's a HUGE Ferrari fan and has owned many in the past. I'd really like to know more about his collection, so if anyone has any information about his cars, please speak out, I'd appreciate it!

2. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Must be one of Zappa's kids

3. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Robert and I saw him broken down on I-95 in a black 328 several months ago. We stopped to make sure everything was ok. It was, but he was trying to find a towing service.

I was a huge fan of his years ago. He's really an amazing guitarist. I thought he looked familar, but he's gained some weight, so I didn't even think to ask who he was...............

4. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
  5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Don't think so. I am a big fan of FZ, though his kids haven't done anything of any importance. I probably have about 15 Zappa albums. Remember 'You are what you is'. Dinah Moe Hum tonight!
    :)
    BT

6. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Watch out were the Huskies go and don't you eat thay yellow snow....

Love your nails...

7. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I love the line from Cosmic Debris...."Is that a poncho or a Sears poncho..."

KevFla

8. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    This is one of my personal favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ncThuOD94s

It's from a DVD he made with the Japan philharmonic orchestra. This song is originally from his "Seventh Sign" album. It's dedicated to his late brother.

As for his Ferraris, I've heard he has a 62' 250 GTO, but I'm not entirely sure. He has Ferrari stickers on many of his guitars and he has thanked Enzo Ferrari for inspiration on many of his album booklets.

9. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Is that from Camarillo Brillo? Dirty Love, so many classics on that album. I remember hearing 'Don't eat the yellow snow / St. Alfonzo's pancake breakfast' on the way home from drafting one night at about 2:30 AM. Bought the Cd the next day (including Cosmic Debris) and listened to it almost daily for about ten years. I consider it to be a form of language lessons. Joe's Garage is an epic. 50 bucks?! 'Your father is waiting for you in the tool shed', classic!
    :D
    BT

10. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    "Can I buy you a pizza?"

This could be bad. Don't get me started?

11. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    "Can I interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?"

12. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    I just found out that he owns for sure a 1962 red GTO 250 a 328 and possibly a 308. He also owns a Rolls-Royce, but I'm not sure which model that is.

Edit: I also read somewhere on F-Chat that he has been seen driving a 550. Someone even suggested that he has had a black Countach.

An interesting story is, that back in the 80's he drove his Jaguar (although some sources state that it was a Ferrari) into a tree and was in a coma for a week...and that time he hurt his arm real bad too, he says that a doctor told him he'd never play the guitar again. But luckily he made a full recovery. Although some say that his technique suffered from that accident permanently. I doubt that though.

13. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    #14 club0, Aug 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
  15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Quick bring me some water HTO.
    BT

16. shredder66

shredder66 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2006
    Melbourne/Singapore
    He's an amazing guitarist, i saw him here a few years ago and he really put on a good show. What a life eh? Not only does he do what he loves doing and plays shows all the time, but also can afford to have a nice collection of Ferrari's

17. andyj

andyj Rookie

Aug 6, 2005
    Yngwie is one of the greatest guitarist on the planet period. I've seen him in concert fives times in the UK. I had the opportunity to meet him eight years ago in Nottingham, England after one of his shows. We talked about Ferrari for an hour or so. He's a really big Ferrari fan. His 308GTS has borrani wires (Yngwie was really surprised that I realised and we started to talk). I've heard romours that he has a GTO, but I don't know the s/n. Does anyone have any details?
    He even has a piece on his concerto suite called Cavallino Rampante. On a Japanese only CD Anthology there is a tracked called Amadeus Quattro valvole.

Rock on Yngwie
    Forza Ferrari!

18. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    is it "seat 42 on Fido 3" or is it "seat 43 on Fido 2"?

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think it is a seat on Phydeaux 3. Isn't that the vehicle that takes our lowly Joe to L Ron Hoover's where he falls in love with the Telefunken U-47 (looks like a vacuum cleaner with marital aids stuck all over it), but then gets a long prison sentence from shorting out the master circuit? I think I will be putting in discs 1 and 2 from joe's Garage on my way home tonight! Martin, do you know the German portion of the song 'Stick it out'???
    :)
    BT

20. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Will someone please invite him for a dinner?

Loved the Japan concert.

21. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    as a guitar guy, i find this to be a great thread! i would love to read his posts to see what he has to share!

one4torque likes this.
  22. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    I happen to be an instrumental guitarist (http://www.myspace.com/herbsandtheamazon or http://www.theguitardude.com), and thought I'd post my thoughts. Yes, absolutely, Yngwie has great technical ability. Where I think he falls short is creativity. If you listen to any of his albums, you hear the first song or two and think it's great (if you like the Bach 'n Roll thing). But by the time you get halfway through the album, you start to think that you already heard that song before. You can only hear so many variations of the harmonic minor scale before it gets old.

Another guy, Tony McAlpine, was one of Yngwie's contemporaries back in the 80s, a neoclassical shredder. Fortunately, he was able to break out of that shell and expand his playing. Now he is playing with Steve Vai and Planet X, in far more interesting music.

Back to Yngwie, I believe in Sweden (his homeland) they have an annual air guitar contest to Yngwie music. He is worshipped there. I don't want to take anything away from the guy, because his fingers can move, but I think most of his creative juices stopped flowing long ago.

23. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    That's an old argument, and granted, it may be true in a way. But personally I've decided to respect Yngwie 100% for what he is: a shredder with lots of emotion. It's a combination not often found. Also I feel that Malmsteen puts out a great show for his fans, and although some people seem to dislike him for his "ego", I for one cannot imagine Malmsteen without it. It just wouldn't be him anymore... He's just not your typical down-to-earth type of guy at all! :)

Anyway, I'd be more than happy if he posted here, but I don't think anyone on the board knows him. And I'm really not sure that he's the sort of guy who spends time on the Internet, anyway. But who knows, he could be a lurker... ;)

I've been trying hard to find a picture of his 250 GTO, I've seen a couple once but I can't find it anywhere. Pictures of it were published in a Japanese guitar magazine called Burrn! alongside an interview with the "maestro" himself. He had just then bought the car.

24. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    In that case you should check this out as well, it's from the same DVD and it's called Cavallino Rampante.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6-XqmkKUA