Yo Ho Yo Ho a Shaughnessy Barn Find for me! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Shaughnessy Barn Find for me!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by T308, Jul 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    WOW a project GTE that doesnt appear to be headed for a GTO or similar replica hatchet job.Good for you! I love the GTE.a true GT car similar to an Aston Martin of similar age.DB-4,DB-5,DB-6.love that overdrive too!

2. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Congrats on your find, sounds like the hunt was just as rewarding as the kill. Good luck getting her back in shape again.

3. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yes, Tom in a nutshell, an incurable Cokehead! I once observed him, on his couch in a comatose state, with the can still pressed firmly to his lips.

It's a very sad thing.

None of the many counselors, doctors, 12 step programs or halfway houses have benefitted him in the least!

The heartbreak of chemical dependency!!!

I once attempted a product replacement therapy (caffiene free Pepsi), I can't recount the resulting mayhem in the following two days, the court records are sealed. :D

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What is the max that would have to be spent to make a 95 point car?

$30k motor
    $20k paint
    $30k misc.
    ---
    $80k?

5. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    > I'll give the wax/tinfoil a try and let you know if it works. If you're
    > interested, I'll post the info (including the engine number).

Can you confirm the engine number or did I miss you already doing so?

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Wonderful story! I look forward to many more posts as you ready it for the road.

7. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Not yet. The car's still with Tom, I'm getting it this weekend and all will be revealed.

T308

8. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    There or there abouts. The motor has tested out well so hopefully a rebuild will not be required (though it needs cosmetic love). The good news is that there's plenty of room between the purchase price and full retail on a 95 point car!

T308

9. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    John,

Optimistic aren't you ??

Here is the deal:

No signed Coors girl poster NO CAR!!!! I do not care how far you have to drive to get it. And yes, by that same cute Mexican girl at the 7/11.

Guess you will be busy this Saturday, expect your car Sunday, if your mission is completed successfully.

10. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #60 T308, Jul 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Done....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 4za

4za Formula 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Edmonds, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That looks like a great find, especially in white/red - very classy :) Thats the same combination as my '64 Nova SS, but it doesn't have redline tires on it... ;)

Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures of the car.

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #62 shaughnessy, Jul 8, 2005
  13. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Tom YOU DOG,

You already have his engine sold????

14. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Nothing quite does it like a classic. Have fun with the resto.

15. grahamdelooze

grahamdelooze Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    england
    Full Name:
    graham de looze
    Tom got any more gte rollers forsale.

16. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    As of today yes, maybe one, THIS ONE!!!!

17. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Care to elaborate Tom?

Thank you.

18. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #68 T308, Jul 11, 2005
    I haven't "fished" out the gearbox number yet, but I do have the motor and rear end. The motor's 554/62E and the rear end E 579-731. The 7 in the 579 looks like it's overstamped on a 5, perhaps it was mis-stamped 559.

Also, the PF number is 242. I wrote it down wrong.

T308

19. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Looks like 272 to me....

20. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Yes, I am king of the typos. It is, of course, 272 (which is about the number of hours it'll take me to sort out and assemble the door pieces!)

T308

21. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    WOW, what a great story! Congratulations, and thanks so much for sharing it!

I would love to hear the other half of the story...how Tom found the car in the first place. I can't imagine how much effort that must have taken.

I'm going to ask the question everyone wants to ask but is too polite. I know that it is rude to ask and I understand if you do not wish to answer, but what does one pay for a beautiful barn find like that?

Best,
    Birdman

22. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Perhaps you've hit the nail on the head. The REAL question is: Is a "barn find" REALLY a big deal if the price tag is just as much as any other vintage Ferrari? How about a barn find for $2500 or $7500 or something that REALLY is a bargain. Now THAT would be something worth crowing about.
    Just last Wednesday night, I talked to a family member of a fellow with a 250 GTE sitting in a garage that hasn't been driven within the past 20 years. Technically speaking, it's probably a barn find. But you couldn't pry this car away from the owner for anything less than big bucks, and probably not even then because he's been offered serious money several times and doesn't need to sell. So it sits.

23. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I think its more than the money.....99.9% of people who have a ferrari know its worth some money. Its also about finding and rescuing a car. I loved this story and I am almost sure the car wasnt $2000. Its more than the money.

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'm not about to knock the story if he paid a lot for the car. I just want to know if he got a good deal or not. But of course the story is better if he got the car cheap. But in the case of a car like this, cheap is relative.

Birdman

25. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    As for how Tom found it, he's not tellin', but it was a car he'd been chasing for years (no joke).

Let's just say what I paid was well below the sale price (not the asking price) of the other GTEs I've looked at recently (including the very rusty series 3 car with a sick motor at FJ). Even if it had a dead motor we could have parted it out and broke even. It felt like a no lose situation which is why we took it down with no PPI.

The car's for me, I'm not selling it on. I'm going to have fun doing it for myself, without the burden of a customer's expectations and the tyranny of a timeline and a price limit.

So, forgive for not answering your questions, but that's the story!

T308