Yo Ho Yo Ho a Shaughnessy Barn Find for me! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Shaughnessy Barn Find for me!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by T308, Jul 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Cool car. Recall a white w/red guts GTE at Marchetti's in the late 80's.

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks for numeorus cool photos on your car - and yes, it looks GREAT in white! Please have a look at:

http://koti.welho.com/kpietil4/250gte.htm

I do think it might be the most accurate list over GT/E production ever published.

3. NVLambo

NVLambo Rookie

Oct 9, 2007
    sweet barn find! :)

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    27 months, wow.

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Maybe it's time for an update? Did the barn find turn out to be all it was hoped to be? Or did it simply move to another barn?

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think they're great largely because you have a better chance that the car is completely original and hasn't been messed around with. No need to correct that incorrect nose that they put on in the '70s, because it still has the original one. etc. Assuming that car wasn't messed around with before it went in the barn, which of course is always possible, then what you are left with is a perfect example of what an original and "correct" car should look like. Even with period photos, sometimes it's hard to know whether you are restoring a car correctly. However, when the original skeleton is still there to guide your hand, it's much easier to get it "right." I think that's what's great about a barn find.

7. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    I can't believe Tom S found this good order Ferrari lieing in a junk yard, Is this a way to get publicity?the story sounds rigged !
    Mate are their people dumb enough to believe that a prancing horse vehicle is in a junk yard in very good state?

Even if it was a Ford in this state the junk yard would of sold it ages ago or used it himself.

Did Tom place the car in the junk yard for you to believe it was their and do this science fiction story?

If its true
    I'll buy a Junk yard daytona spyder Tom ,cash in the hand!

8. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Tom bashing reflects poorly on you. Take the high road with the Ferrari crowd - it's the only road worth travelling.

9. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    +100.

As I have already mentionned in another thread just today.....too much negativity around here. It's too bad.

10. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    It's Tom's business to find cars in such locations.....and he's very good at it! This wasn't the first posting of his success, and it won't be his last.....

11. Ferrari Rare Parts

BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    well if thats the case good for Tom I admire you,In Italy you can't even find a smashed 348 for good money,they cost nearly same as non smashed one.
    I was joking about Tom not bashing him ,he bashes me in every post ,he must really hate Italian sellers after the $3000 dollar deal with that metzler Italian ebayer.
    I don't need to bash anyone I joke on several posts look around!

Take care and again Tom Thumbs up to your work I hope we meet soon!

12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Even though this thread is ancient history, I don't think that Tom found the car lying IN a junkyard. Junkyards are usually places with all kinds of buildings and sheds where the owners stash unusual vehicles and save them from the fate of total scrap and/or parting out. Salvage yard owners are usually car guys that wheel and deal a lot of interesting stuff. The old Ferrari was probably tucked in a back shed for years.

13. Ferrari Rare Parts

BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    I agree!

14. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    T308,

How is your progress going. Have you done anything with the car yet?

15. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Ok. It's kinda late and I am NOT going to go way back into this thread to re-read. But from what I remember this car was found in a yard by the Mexican border. It's where they confisgate cars that illegally cross said border. Not a junkyard. Not sure why we are talking junkyards. I don't know Tom personally but I also don't know why the hell people are doubting him in this thread all of a sudden...

16. ChimChim

ChimChim Rookie

Jul 7, 2005
    So Cal
    Hi
    I've been lurking on F-chat for years now and was kind of surprised to see this thread come back to life. If you guys do take the time to go back and read T308's original post, I can guarantee it's accurate. The photos don't lie, I know I was there and I took most of them. As far as progress on the car, I drove it a couple months ago and had a blast doing so. While it is still a work in progress, it is definitely getting there. Those of us who have had the opportunity to visit Tom at his farm or the water tower and see his operation first hand know what he's all about. I not sure why finding a car under these circumstances would be so surprising, he does this for a living. I'm sure you've all heard about 0202A, right? I don't want to talk for Tom or T308 but I just thought I could shed some light on this.
    Thanks
    Bernard

17. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

WOW!!

I'll say you've been lurking for a while. signed up in 2005 first post, Q4 2007.

That's gotta be some kind of record.

Now, for the record. Tom S. is a friend of mine. I know Tom Shaughnessy. Orlando, you are no Tom Shaughnessy.

This bickering that's going on here is doing nothing to enhance your reputation among those you wish to woo here. Please, for everyone's sake, don't wander off into personal attacks against members here who contribute much, without the side benefit of reaping any rewards.

Tom freely shares his wealth of knowledge here. His only reward? Well, I don't know what his reward is, other than knowing that he's helping other Ferrari guys.

Ok, back with the regularly scheduled program.

18. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Dave: Well written, you have my second to your motion. M

19. DieCast MotorSports

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks for an update Bernard. Hopefully T308 will chime in and share some recent photos. I am currently looking at 250 GTE/330 America's, so any info is helpful.

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    If you are looking at GTEs/Americas, go to www.tomyang.netit's sort of a hub for these cars.

Regards,

Art S.

21. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I don't get the constant Tom bashing either.

22. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    Tom S. is absolutely straightforward, fair and reliable .... with genuine people that return the same courtesies. He has shared a LOT of knowledge with me and supplied some things I needed. The items were very accurately described, supplied at fair prices and shipped promptly - often before the check could have arrived.

I think he has just decided to "not suffer fools gladly".

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

23. DieCast MotorSports

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA

Yes, I've checked out Tom Yang's site. Very informative.

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I can second this. I've even received items before the check was ever sent!

Eccentric? Sure, but someone for whom the cars themselves still matter as much or more than the $ they bring in.

25. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Wow, I can't believe someone brought this thread back from the dead.

The car is still with me and no, it's not in search of another "barn". It was/is what I'd hoped it to be, a solid car with cosmetic needs. Mechanically it's better than expected. It's missing little bits and trim pieces, but I'm slowly accumulating them (which is more difficult now that Tom's "Retired"...). My intent was to dive into it right away but real life got in the way (little things like work and marriage!), so its proceeding a little more slowly than I'd have hoped.

I'll write up a little summary of the experiences when I get back home, right now the North Shore of Hawaii calls...