Yorba Linda - 414rs down | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Yorba Linda - 414rs down

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ney, Feb 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I disagree, Its raining and overcast. I would assume the ceilings were above 3000'. He may have become disorientated in the soup and either pulled up to hard after breaking out, or just simply started breaking up just below the ceilings from overspeed or stress.

ChipG likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Long odds. 414A with registration N414RS.

Never mind, lots of 414s with registration N414xx.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Okay, I was wrong . After looking at it again, it was obviously bad weather. I think that I was concentrating on the flash of fire.

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thank you,...those are good points. Yes, still climbing out and a more robust cabin.

The pic of the fuselage in the backyard... no wings, tail or engines... broke up in a high speed dive?

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Just heard on local news here that the pilot's ID as a former Cop are fake, and poorly done. PD has no record of him.

But his pilot's license, they said, was OK, and was verified.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like someone else said. More likely over stressed on a pullout. In one of the vids it can be seen coming down very fast for a few seconds then the fire.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Curiouser and curiouser.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I remember shortly after the war that quite a few new Bonanzas came bombing out of the clouds without wings. Overspeed and overstressed.

10. Greg34

Greg34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 31, 2010
    Sunset Beach
    Full Name:
    Greg
  11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Pilot's given name was different from the name he currently used.

He held a valid FAA-issued commercial pilot, airplane single-engine land, airplane multi-engine land, instrument airplane, and rotorcraft-helicopter rating.

So, he was instrument rated, and was a ground instructor. Not as likely that it was 'spatial disorientation".

One pilot/investigator is speculating that it's not pilot error, but an engine came off... (vibration, he thought, tore off), ruptured the wing tank (fire), Lost that wing, then the other and the tail as it fell at high speed.
    Pilot died from impact (he was not burned).

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It looks like the tail came off first, and I believe the NTSB investigator said as much. If that's the case, it was most likely an overstress.

Anyone can get spatial disorientation... the key is managing it.

ChipG likes this.
  13. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
  14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

See post 31 above... it has been announced as fact since this morning... never was a Chicago Cop... fake ID and badge.

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    He took off VFR, climbed into the clouds, and came spiraling back down. Instrument rated, but unclear about currency, and certainly not on an IFR clearance. Not that hard to figure out.

16. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Do you know what airport he took off from 10 min away?

"Preliminary radar data show that a airplane climb to about 7800 feet before started rapidly to the center of the ground," said NTSB investigator Maya Smith. "A few witness reports say that they saw the airplane coming out of a cloud at a very high speed before parts of the airplane such as tail and then subsequently wings started to break off."

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#42 Tcar, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Fullerton Municipal Airport.

This is a previous Flight Aware of the same round trip flight path that he regularly took, from his airport to Fullerton and return (this one), to see his daughter and granddaughter. Sometimes flew it weekly.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N414RS

He lost it just past the 'L' in FUL; he had started his left climbing turn.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm guessing that he had a medical event, slumped forward over the controls which caused the aircraft to enter a dive, leading to overstress.

19. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Just noticed in the pic of the fuselage in a back yard...

Looks like the R prop cut into the R wing, the R side of the fuselage, top and on to the L side of the fuselage.
    May have even cut into the pilot's area.

Anyway, almost cut the front of the plane off.

Maybe that's what started events. Or maybe was a result of the R wing being torn off.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I would expect the outer wing to fold up and over and back on its way off. A 3 blade prop spinning at 2-3000 rpm is going to slice and dice a lot I'd think.

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

OK...

Up, over and back looks more like the L wing/engine/prop folded. The slice moves farther toward the aft as it moves R.

22. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    My first thought was one of the props chucked a blade. This can tear a twin apart and did many years ago when it happened to a Travelair out of Cable airport. The blades had developed internal corrosion and one failed. The viberation tore the wing off and the airplane crashed into a home in Rancho Cucamonga. It’s also possible he became disorientated and overstressed the airframe as well. We’ll know in about a year or so.

23. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
  24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You would think if you were going to commit suicide in an airplane, you would have the decency to fly it over the Pacific so nobody else would be injured.