You are the luckiest drivers on the planet | FerrariChat

You are the luckiest drivers on the planet

Discussion in '308/328' started by Bullfighter, Aug 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    OK, the topic title is over the top. But, having had the privilege of owning a gorgeous, dependable and award-winning 328 in black metallic, and then a neat 308 QV in red, before I lost the use of my left leg and arm, I can say with confidence that you own the sweet spot of Ferrari’s road car lineage.

Yes, an F40 is better, but who drives a $2M car…

No clunky F1 box. No dated video screens. No sticky plastic. No destined-to-fail automated tops. No airbag steering wheels. No 20,000-mile $9000 clutch jobs. No dashtop shrinkage. No dated navigation software.

Plus they look better every year. I keep considering what other Ferrari would be as good, without potential looming financial catastrophe at the next turn of the key, and nothing beats the 308/328.

I’m also lucky in that I got my driver’s license back after serious injuries in 2016, and I have a Porsche 964 with Tiptronic that I can drive. It’s also from the last golden age of sports cars — compact, analog, and the garage has that proper whiff of oil when you park it hot. Big gauges, air-cooled flat six, beautiful car. The rehab team figured I’d get a wheelchair van, but that idea died fast.

But, if I could get back behind the wheel of a 308/328, I’d take it over just about anything. If your 308/328 is sitting under a car cover, take it for a drive. That’s among my biggest regrets — not enough miles and memories. I’ve been to Ferrari showrooms and even looked at a couple of really nice cars at Bobileff last year, but nothing checks all the boxes like your car.

Drive it! You have something iconic and awesome.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ronr, stoutman11, bernieb and 66 others like this.
  2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Thank you for the reminder of how we should cherish every moment.

Albert-LP and Dane like this.
  3. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    I couldn't agree more.

4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You speak the truth my good man !!

It really is a great privilege to own a 308/328, I'd never sell mine just for the looks alone.

I know it's a different car from a different age but how would you rate it compared to the 356 Speedster in terms of driving and ownership ?

5. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Oddly... there are parallels, especially in feeling immersed in the mechanicals. Both are widely admired. Both are icons.

Speedster is a barely disguised 1950s racer, back when one car could handle track duties and date night. It can now do SCCA races or Pebble Beach. Special car.

Both leak oil..

Saabguy, maurice70, Martyt and 2 others like this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #6 ginoBBi512, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Bought 89 GTS 328 , August 1999 , 84,000 miles driven, properly I might add, over 23 years of ownership . Car sat for the last year, took it out over the weekend without a hitch. Why Ferrari chooses to continue to build machines that have so many issues , with so little miles, instead of Japanese quality built into them , I cant figure out . Why, after the 348, / Testa Rossa, did the quality go out the window. The 355 was the first car ever built with over 100 HP per liter, ( 3.5 Liter 378 HP 5 Valve head 108 HP / Liter ) why didnt they make this car as bullet proof as the cars before ?? Has the mindset changed since the 308 / 328 / 348 were on the assembly line? You sit in those cars, and you can feel the care and passion the people at the Factory built into them .Is it not possible to build cars with such high performance along with a long life ? If you think about it, the 328 had 270 HP, thats 135 per bank of 4 cylinders at 1.6 liters each ? Thats pretty astounding for 1986, wouldnt you say ? Can they not use electronics that are as good as my 1978 Pioneer SX1250, 160 watts , clean per channel, and still kicking ass after all these years, with only routine maintenance ? Why can they not perform like my Klipsch Towers after 14 years ( crossover electrics ), now just blowing out the tweeters ? ( I just replaced the pair with their latest comp towers ) Does Ferrari just choose to not care to much about their interiors coming unglued ? My interior still smells like it did with 20k miles, and its still has not come apart . Their F1 cars seem to hold up after getting their necks wrung out , they are only allowed so many power units and gearboxes per season, why wont they build their road cars to take a spanking without coming apart, believe me, if the people out there with new Ferraris drove them the way they were intended, and believe me, they do not, they would fall apart even faster . I think these are valid questions, and I think you rich guys that are on their lists of first dibbs to buy, should ask the powers that be, and tell us what theyre reasons are.

Big G

maurice70 and Bullfighter like this.
  7. pnd4pnd

pnd4pnd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2021
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Thune
    Just got my 328 a few days ago. Dare I say its more fun to drive than my 458? The 458 has so much power that is not usable on the street (without getting arrested :) )

ryalex, maurice70 and Bullfighter like this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    thank you Jon: I will keep your words in my mind, they are full of wisdom. I can tell you this: me and my wife are crossing a very bad period due to several problems. Last week I told my wife: we have a very nice vintage car here below in the box, why don't we take it out this evening and go for an Icecream in a near village? She usually hates old cars, but this time she told me: "yes, I like it: let's take it out and enjoy it".

Life is short.

Ciao

Alberto

ryalex, Ak Jim, 308inSD and 11 others like this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Alberto Buona fortuna a te.

10. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Great perspective that we could all benefit from!

Ferraripilot and Albert-LP like this.
  11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I just read the article about Bullfigher in the latest Panorama Porsche club Mag.

1. So glad you are ok, I cant imagine the pain and suffering. but well done you! to come back and continue to have passion for cars.

2. Great car - love your Porsche.

3. Hope all is well with you!

12. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    So nice to hear from you @bullfigther. Feeling your new and strong energy!

Bullfighter and Saabguy like this.
  13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Good to read from you John.

As you are partial to black metallic, this is my #80515 on February 25th, 2019, one day after her 30th birthday (= build date: February 24, 1989).
    And yes, she always sleeps under a car cover, due to some hooligans that visit her resting place from time to time.
    Her younger sister #81085 (by five weeks, build date April 5, 1989) is going well also.
    From time to time they sleep together, but not always (sorry for the poor pic);, they are jealous of each other.

Get well, John; best wishes from France.

Rgds

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

speedcat, JuLiTrO, 430tdf and 4 others like this.
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Any thought of doing an AT swap for a 328? Was Ferrari offering a AT car by then? If not, there are probably options from another Italian brand. Seems like it would be easier than a MT swap.

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hadn’t thought of it. It might ruin the character of the car, unless a Valeo unit would work. Long shot, but probably a question for Rifledriver.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #16 Shark01, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Yeah, it would be a little different, but shouldn’t ruin the character. But wouldn’t you want that experience again even if it was different? A Valeo (which I hadn’t thought about) might be interesting since it is used in a mid-engine application. The only downside I can think of is it might be hard to track one down.

There are a bunch of 360/430 era transmissions for sale. There is also a 400GT AT on ebay. Also a Maserati AT from 1986.

17. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    That is still really hard to read. I've read all your posts on recovery and the journey back. I wish you the best and have been rooting for you the whole way.

I would expect a Mondial Valeo engine and tranny would go into a 3X8 chassis more easily than any other engine or tranny swap out there. As I recall it has a computer you'd need to find room for?

18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

You can use the 458s power, it just depends on where you drive it in California , 570 HP is not at all unreasonable, my friends 911 Turbo has about 575 HP, hes in CT, and we took a few drives, plenty of places to exploit it, have fun, and not get pinched. I would imagine you would feel the 458 being more of a sterile drive than the 328 , paddles have to get boring, not matter what the HP is. Its to bad that Ferrari did not give buyers the option to shift their semi automatic gearboxes from a center console mounted shifter knob, it would be much more engaging than the paddles .

Big G

pnd4pnd likes this.
  19. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Dont give up on the 3x8 just yet. Find a Valeo trans at a breakers and have it strapped on. The smile will return. :)

20. Ccashen1

Ccashen1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2013

Yes - wonderful article in the Pano! Continue down this road Jon! LOVE the 964!

21. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Hope you’re doing well these days Jon! My 308 is definately “driven” ... just a couple of hundred kilometres last weekend, weather is rubbish this weekend, might rack up a thousand or so over the next fortnight with a little trip away. I will keep waving the 308 flag as long as I can... glad you’re enjoying the Porsche, sorry it can’t be a 308.

Rosey likes this.
  22. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Very cool post, thank you Jon ! wise words :)

best
    Johnny

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have been in this business a long time and been privileged to drive some really seriously fast cars in my life and you have just learned a lesson most of us do eventually especially if we really like driving.

Its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I have a 328 too.

Attached Files:

Jack-the-lad, ryalex, Saabguy and 6 others like this.
  24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I love the picture of the car cover.

Albert-LP likes this.
  25. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    There's no better way to say it. When people ask me, which they inevitably do, "is it fast," I usually reply with "It's old fast."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

chas-3, beng and Saabguy like this.