You Carry a Gun? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

You Carry a Gun?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by venusone, Sep 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Dieci minuti, cara mia! :)

2. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've invented concealed places in all my vehicles for a small handgun. I like the Detonics "pocket 9" 9mm, or the Kahr P9 the best. 6 round autoloaders with extra clips. Although I'm thinking about a 40cal autoloader. 9mm doesn't have the knockdown power of a 40cal.

I've ended up in places that I wish I hadn't. Luckily have never had to use it. But as MM says "better be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    i dont get why u guys carry guns around in the cars, i no car jackers and stuff but shouldnt u just drive to a different part of town?

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

PMac.

Because they can.

There are so many bad guys in the world now that no place is safe.

Here on the main line, for instance, you can get carjacked and shot at on nearly every corner ;)

However, I'm sure there are parts of the world where it's an absolute necessity to be armed to the teeth at all times.

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Tony

Try moving to Texas from squeaky mostly gun free Canada... bit of an eye-opener to say the least...

6. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree.

I don't always have the choice of where I have to drive in my business. So to avoid all "trouble" spots isn't a choice for me.

7. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    No, not really. I've spent the last 24 years living in and around Washington DC.. murder capital of the world. Just about every weekend I'd be in the sketchiest parts of town either in DC or Baltimore going to clubs, many times alone to meet people there. I've walked home alone from work at 3:30am through the projects, wandered into the wrong type of club, been in and around major drug dealer hangouts, had my car break down in the ghetto, etc.. I can't remember a single time that I felt uncomfortable or unsafe to the point that I felt a gun was necessary. If you're that scared you're probably paranoid or hanging out with Columbian drug cartels...

-R

8. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Quotes from former mayor of DC, Marion Barry:

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate."

"People have criticized me because my security detail is larger than the president's. But you must ask yourself: are there more people who want to kill me than who want to kill the president? I can assure you there are."

9. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Some of us used to buy rent controlled apartment buildings in South LA back during the last recession. We'd clean the crack-whores, gang bangers, check-washers, tweakers and assorted two-legged waste products of societal metabolism out of our recently acquired buildings, bring the places up to code and rent them out to more respectable folks.

Crack ho's, bangers. tweakers and the like don't appreciate being kicked out of their abodes, especially by a Caucasian-appearing 20-something, do-it-all youself landlord who was still in grad school.

But hey, the cash on cash returns were 25 to 35%!

10. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    #35 F40, Sep 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    very interesting. I have a number of guns all legal, lost a few on the 1st with new gun laws. I did carry a gun in a metal container just under my legs, when I was in the car and I thought it was not in a safe area I would put the key in the key whole, that is legal. And once I have been in trouble with a car about to play base ball with my car. I took it out, he hoped back in his car and then drow off pretty quick. I wouldnt shot no one. but thats what it is here for and no more.

I could have run out with a batten at his car while he does mine, but his was a pice of ****!

Better safe then sorry!

And you fathers out there, if you son is in the car and you did get car jacked and they fired and missed you got you son, you would wish you had a gun for that 1 in a billion chance of it happening to you.

12. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Dave put down the crack pipe lol.

i have no problem walking or driving through anyplace, i think thats because my school is located in the GHETTO of Philly and i see all types of crack whores, crazy guys, gangbangers, and what not there. I guess im just different.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Fortunately i dont have to and anyway i cant ..

14. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    You know he just got elected to city council in Ward 8, the worst part of town? Amazing stuff...

Anyway it's still illegal to carry guns in DC. A few years ago however, the Virginia state senate tried (and nearly succeeded I think) to pass a law allowing people to carry concealed weapons into banks, courthouses, and churches. Yeeup, you never know when that crazy pastor is going to whip an AK on your ass and make you defend yourself...

-R

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Exactly. Well, once a friend lent me his after an incident. I felt weird having the thing. Haven't felt the need since. I would not carry one unless I had a close call. It's better to stay out of bad areas and be aware, IMO.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Even if you are car jacked ..are you going to use your gun ? What if the jacker shoots first ?

Its not worth it. Id rather get jacked and walk home than get shot ..

17. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Yeah ... for me, at the end of the day, it's just a car. I step out. Call insurance. Get another one. My life isn't worth the risk.

18. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yeah I'm not sure how this works. Say you're at a red light minding your own business when suddenly a glock is pointed at your head. Are you going to tell the fellow to hold on a minute while you reach under your seat and unlock your gunbox? Likewise in any situation.. if a gun is already pointed at you, how are you going to draw your weapon without being shot?

-R

19. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    .45 glock here.

Concealed carry when I need it. Mostly, if I will be around late at work(sometimes I have to stay late or go in very early)

The neighborhood I work in has LOTS of bars. MOST of the time drunks are harmless but the one time one wasn't scared me sober enough to keep protection.

For home defense: Desert Eagle .44 magnum. Mostly just keep it so that it'll wake up the neighbors and summon cops in case of trouble. I'd rather not find out if I would acctually pull the trigger on an intruder.

20. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003

The most likely threat you may face is a road rage situation.
    Carjacking penalties are severe enough to make it unlikey.

Better to have and not need then need and no have.

21. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

OK, road rage. So some guy does something to really piss you off or vice versa, all the while just a male testosterone thing. It gets outta hand and you pull your gun and pow. Bye, bye, see you when you get out, penniless, cause the guy's family sued you for everything too. Whatever the scenario.

Wouldn't it be better to just avoid it in the first place, forget the gun, or run from the whacko?

I realize this is a no-win debate, btw. It's a personal choice and you have to deal with the consequences.

22. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Mexico City, Johannesburg (when driving), anywhere in Columbia. Various countries in Africa... Obviously Iraq and other war zones.

If you have that little self control, then you shouldn't be carrying any weapon, let alone a gun. Of course, the above scenario is always presented by those who don't carry and/or don't own any firearms.

Those who carry know that the gun is there only for when they feel theirs or someone else's life is in immediate danger of death or grievous bodily harm. You don't ever expose or draw the weapon in public unless the situation fulfils these criteria.

23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein

24. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003

The A-holes you are refering to that run around brandishing firearms in a show of Bravado almost always have their guns ILLEGALY.

The good Admiral hit the nail on the head.

I thought it was GRAND ADMIRAL?

It was all so artfully done.

25. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Here are some other quotes from Marion Barry when caught in a hotel room:

"Crack dealers??? I thought they were prostitutes!!!"

His campaign slogan was:

"Imagine how cool the visctory party will be"