You Carry a Gun? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

You Carry a Gun?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by venusone, Sep 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    In NY your not allowed to put it in the glove box. It must remain on you at all times. You get out, jacker gets in at some point is not looking at you but looking at the gas pedal or steering wheel, or thinking about his next hit of crack, you pick your moment and end his sorry ass wrothless life.

In NY its full carry (except Manhatten)

2. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Don't know about every state but in NY if someone wants your car and you have a gun, I think you win. You don't need to kill him. If he wants your car and points a gun at you and somehow you kill him protecting yourself before he kills you, you walk. No jury in the world would convict.

You will likely still get arrested, but you will not be convicted. You will also likely lose your pistol liscense for a period of time. Big deal. Nobody EVER has been convicted of killing someone in the act of self defense, if thats what it was.

Bernie Getz (the subway vigilante) basically received a slap on the wrist for shooting the thugs that harassed him in a NYC subway. What made it even more interesting is he WENT AFTER THEM on the train, he was in no danger, AND his handgun was completely illegal AND it was in NYC much tougher on guns than any other jurisduction in NY

As stated earlier, most legal owners of handguns know it is certainly considereed more of a priveledge than a right. So we don't go around brandishing out handguns and sticking them in peoples faces. Mine would only show up if I thought I was about to die. And if it ever has to come out, its going to be fired. I hope that day never comes.

Also I should not have to avoid a town because of a criminal element. I wouldn't go looking for trouble, but sometimes you have no choice but to drive through a rough area.

Besides trouble could be anywhere. Nobody can protect you in that instant except you. If you can get away without getting hurt then by all means do so. But if I can protect myself, I will. If I'm with any loved ones I will make a concious effort to protect them. You just have to.

Ed

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    After a friend who lived 3 blocks from me (great quiet neighborhood in a small town, $600k homes) was abducted, raped, and killed, I decided to get more pro-active about self-reliance.

Scumbags unfortunately, also have cars and can travel anywhere I can go.

That, and a few credible death-threats from unstable business aquaintinces, and yeah I do carry a gun.

Would I use it in a carjacking?

If the suspect did not stick a weapon in my face, and I can reasonably belive he does not have a weapon, I floor it, duck down, and am ****ing GONE.

If he does brandish a weapon, then I am in fear for my life, and I will repeat FTS untill the threat is ceased. As soon as he reaches for his weapon, all social contracts are broken and we are no longer dealing Fair and Reasonable, so to speak. I will do everything in my power to stop him NOW.

Depriving someone of their vehicle, especially in areas where a carjacking is statistically likely to occur, is in my mind akin to pushing them infront of a train. You place their life and safety in direct jeprody.

What if your daughter was car-jacked on east 14th street at 1am? What if she was gang raped and then killed at 1:18am?

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

Tell me they caught the guy.

5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    The police did catch the guy, but a hell of a lot of good it did Poly.

Police are not mandated or charged with the protective detail of any one person (they can't be of course, and they are good people who do try...) as a matter of case record and legal standing. You are on your own as far as your own personal safety goes.

Here are some of the tools I employ in my task of self-preservation (and secondarily, recreation! target shooting is quite fun.)

6. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    There are some very naive people in this world. Anyone here or in Europe (I hear the outskirts of Paris are real shytholes these days) ever hear of someone getting a terminal dose of vitamin lead regardless of whether or not they complied with the carjacker's/rapist's/robber's demands? It seems to happen now and then.

Giving the criminal what he wants does not always work. Sometimes they shoot the victim just for shyts and giggles.

I'd argue that it's best to have the capability to defend one's self if the metabolic waste should ever hit the rotating blade. I've never had to shoot anyone. I try to avoid it by practicing SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, and have been known to exit stage right or sit in a defensible corner for a while.

Let me repeat myself for those who view a gun as useless because the bad guy will point his at you first:

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS- the practice of being aware of one's surroundings. This means keeping track of moving objects like people, dogs, automobiles etc. It means scanning your mirrors even when you're at a stoplight or parked and waiting for the girlfriend. Someone walking up behind your vehicle, (or approaching from any angle) should command your nearly undivided attention. It means planning ahead, like letting that erratic driver of the pickup truck cut in front of you rather than race forward and potentially facilitate an accident. It means standing with your back to the wall so the thugs walking past you know you're aware of them and your sharp pointy ends are readily available for combat. It means waiting in the car or doorway until the strange looking man babbling to himself and snarling at other pedestrians goes away. It means sitting at the outdoor cafe with your back to a wall. Walls don't attack people from behind, people do. That being said, sometimes even situational awareness won't get you out of trouble, such as when someone doesn't like your face and has nothing to lose by violently doing something about it.

Situational awareness is a prerequisite to carrying a weapon in much the same way that a functioning set of brakes is a prerequisite to taking the Ferrari out on a spirited drive in the mountains. Some however don't and apparently never will "get it".

I find the notion that one should avoid "bad areas" is just plain assinine. It is stupid beyond belief. It is deeply insulting to those own & manage property, restaurants, gas stations, motels or who otherwise turn the economic wheels of such areas.

What if one LIVES in these bad areas? Not all of the world can afford a Ferrari and pay a property manager/business manager/delivery boy to go into these "bad areas" and carry out their business for them and then bleat about not needing a gun because everyone can simply avoid "bad areas".

The "bad areas" of LA are teeming with humanity. Many in my city would argue that most of LA itself is a "bad area". For many of us, avoidance of these "bad areas" is 'no can do'.

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Have carried in the past, but ocasionally sans license;) Those days should be ending shortly now. Def. carry, if the situations merits, do what you have to, better to have it, you could always just give your car/cash away and not use it I suppose...

8. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Every one is clearly bringing up valid points. My only comment (15 year California lawyer) is to go slow..., and to avoid..., at all costs, any involvement with guns protecting automobiles... It is a gray area as to whether one was protecting his/her life or..... the property.

As a general rule, you can not use deadly force to protect property. Be smart.....

regards,
    Dino

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    But if it's legal to carry elsewhere, then do you want to leave your gun unattended in the car or at the door while you go into the bank? The safest place for a gun is on the responsible owner's person.

I don't really believe in keeping a gun in the car -- unless it's in a comfortable holster on my person. If I'm car-jacked by a pro -- e.g. calm, collected perp with a Glock -- then I get out (with my gun concealed on my person, rather than leaving it in the car for the perp), warn him about the second gear shift, and hope the vehicle recovery system gets a chance to work before he disconnects it. If I don't need it, he'd never know I had it.

But if you're facing a strung-out amateur with a sawed-off shotgun, trying to calm that situation down to a non-violent encounter may be a losing proposition. Even if you can duck, if he blazes off with that thing in a city, the odds are that somebody is going to catch lead.

Oh, and when you're facing the business end, the barrel of a .45 auto looks as big as the Chunnel. I figure a 1911 has more chance of giving a perp pause than a mousegun.

I've heard the arguments. People aren't responsible. We can't trust those losers with guns -- or with knives -- or with passing zones, or fast cars -- heck, the seat belts need to work themselves, and the headlights need to come on because the driver is too dumb to know that it's dark out.

Gah.

"Where in the name of common sense are our fears to end if we cannot trust our brothers, our neighbors, our fellow country-men?" -- The Federalist, 1788

This nation is founded on trusting our neighbors to carry firearms responsibly, to drive -- even Ferraris -- responsibly, and to vote responsibly. If you remove that trust, where do you stop? Suspend elections and appoint Big Brother to make everyone's decisions?

Possessing a firearm carries responsiblity. So does possessing freedom. Individual liberty demands individual responsibility. You can't lose one without giving up the other.

By telling our citizens that we won't trust them, aren't we telling them that they are no longer responsible to act in a trustworthy manner? If we respond to individual irresponsible acts by lowering the standards, we enter a downward spiral with no good destination.

I fear for the future of civilization, when we are perpetually falling short of a declining set of standards.

10. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    #60 F40, Sep 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'd say for home defense your better off with a shotgun, you have more of a chance of hitting the person, especially if it's a pump that can hold many loads. Here in AZ are houses are paper thin and a hangun will go right through your house and into your neighbors house. Here's me shooting an M1911 an hour or so ago...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Isn't the m1911 made by Browning?

12. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i like my Gamo PT 80 air gun :D

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Designed by Browning when he worked for Colt. The "real" 1911 is still made by Colt, although Springfield Arms makes a version with a closer fit -- more accurate, but more prone to jams from the gobs of cordite residue blown out by a .45 auto round.

Although for close-range self defence, there's no more effective weapon than a sword. (The gun is just easier to use and requires less training.) For urban environments, what would probably be better would be the short sword, known to the Romans as a "Thracian knife". The metal breast plate woudn't hurt, either.

But that short skirt would probably get you more attention than you wanted. :D

14. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Kimber also make very good 1911-A1's.

15. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    #65 F40, Sep 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was shooting a Springfield M1911-A1... The last load always jams in the gun, who knows why though. Was also shooting my dad's 8040 Mini Cougar. .40 S&W.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Is the 1911 virtually the same as a Colt .45 Government?

17. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Here's a pic of me shooting my Glock 34 (I'm in the middle. The guy on the right is shooting his Glock 23, and the guy on the left with the BIG EVIL LOOKING GUN is shooting a.... Berretta Neos .22LR target pistol :D)

Later that day we blew that couch to hell. (Salvation Army didn't want it.)

18. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I like the guys (closest to the camera) foot rest.

Gives a whole new meaning to calling someone a couch potato.

19. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Actually Edward it sounds like you have some type of Nassau County permit, to carry (or a hunting or target permit, which does state either resticted hours of the day or only to and from the range with the weapon unloaded and seperated from the ammunition), on a Nassau permit although it does have typed in "CARRY" next to it will be a stamp which defines the restricted use of it. A NYC unrestricted carry permit allows me to carry anywhere in NYS except Albany, including NYC, 24/7. And Manhattan alone is not NYC, NYC by law is ALL the 5 boroughs so there is no way for you to carry to another part of the state without illegally carrying through a part of NYC from Nassau County.

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    In NOLA you can also shoot Japanese Trick-or-treaters, if it's before Halloween and their costume and speaking Japanese scares you ;)

I guess the trick with this Carjacker thing is you get out quickly and let them have the car, and then when they turn to take the wheel you pop them in the head. Doesn't this encourage a carjacker then to just kill the driver, instead of risk being shot??

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

C'mon Jim, we're not that scary.....

I don't carry, although I have a nice revolver or 2. They're all long barrel models, so impractical for concealed carry. My wife carries from time to time, with a Glock 23. I really like that gun when we're target shooting.

22. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Actually Ryan, Within the first week of the passing of the law, a local guy put 2 9mm hollowpoints into a guys head who had tried to carjack him. No charges at all. Except maybe the charges to the dead guys family for cleaning up the street. That was 6-7 years ago and since then I have not heard of a single carjacking in NOLA.

And BTW, that wasn't NOLA. That was Baton Rouge, and the guy wasn't a trick-or-treater. He was a grown man who had gone to the wrong house looking for a party and ran towards the homeowner under a dark carport after refusing to stop. (Insert language barrier comments here). All around an unfortunate incident. But hardly an indictment of the "shoot the carjacker" law, which is what I was talking about.

Dave

23. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    That couch had it coming...

24. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134318544&postcount=56

I live in San Jose Ca. Not known as a "bad" crime ridden area, and this randomly transpired....now if I had a gun, would i have done anything, no, due to the fact that I was 17 and scared ****less. Today, if that were to happen, things could be different.

To once again

25. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Holy S--t!

What were you using, a Browning 50cal. auto?