You guys are so lucky..... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

You guys are so lucky.....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mr2guy, Mar 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Well Casey one point you are mistaken on is that MBA is effective regardless of major. I know of many Engineering majors in undergrad who got MBA's later and now work in banks and other management positions in Engineering firms.

2. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    I second that! Keep the spirits up. :)

3. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Quote:"Well Casey one point you are mistaken on is that MBA is effective regardless of major. I know of many Engineering majors in undergrad who got MBA's later and now work in banks and other management positions in Engineering firms."

Thats true, I didnt mean to imply that an MBA would be useless with anything other than a business degree. I meant to say that most schools dont package MBA's with anything other than business undergrads. The only exception I know of is ND has a law/MBA package program (but there are probably many others). Naturally anyone can get an MBA reguardless of their major as an undergrad (same with law, medicine, ect) and be very successful.

4. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yeah your wording through me off. No biggie :)

5. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Threw you off, threw.

6. mr2guy

mr2guy Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    This is just amazing!! I don't even know what to say. A man that doesn't know me is offering to let ME drive his beautiful brand new 360. All I can say is that this is an offer that I can not and will not refuse. I will definitely make it a plan to stop by during the summer. Mike, your generosity is absolutely incredible. Thank you and please send me a PM if you have time :)

I am still in shock that I haven't gotten any negative responses from anyone. This forum is full of the absolute nicest people around. I appreciate everyone's feedback and I read every word of every reply because it is really lifting my spirit. Thanks to all of you my ambition has flown through the roof and yes, I WILL OWN A FERRARI. Maybe not for 5 years. Maybe not for 20 years. I will now set my goals even higher and when I succeed, I want you all to know that you were my inspiration and I will be forever in debt to everyone here who convinced me to open up my eyes. Thank You

-Ryan

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Okay, let me help you guys out here.

An MBA is a specific kind or master's degree that revolves around business: Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Management, Operations, etc. You cannot have an MBA of architecture, real estate, underwater basket weaving, etc. You can have a Masters degree in any of those fields but it would be nothing like an MBA. And if it has any business in it whatsoever, i.e. real estate development, it would be a Masters of Science, and MS, not an MA.

An MBA is not like any other Master's degree. You take a different test and the requirements for acceptance usually involve several years of business experience and business accomplishments. My MBA class had an average age of 29 when we started because everyone had years of work experience.

An MBA is not something that you can combine with an undergraduate degree (at the top schools, anyway). Likewise, you can get an MBA after having any undergraduate major. My undergraduate degree is in English and Communication, I had three classmates with pre-med undergrads, and the two best candidates in my class had history and philosophy undergrads. Many business schools prefer to have their MBA candidates have undergraduate outside of business fields because many companies complain that they don't want to hire managers with too narrow an education.

You can have an MBA with a specialization in finance, accounting, or marketing but you cannot have an MBA of finance, accounting, or marketing.
    You can have an MS in any of those, however.

And Casey is right: many schools offer an MBA/JD where you combine law school and business school into one long graduate school process. You don't cut either of the programs short, you just go to school for twice as long.

As far as an MBA of architecture, I'm sure that you will get into that program at ITT tech or the DeVry institute or something similar. So best of luck with that.

8. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The man is either crazy, or have way too much money to care :)
    Btw Mike, no harm intended at all.

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Remember I am Asian, thus I cannot read or spell English. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it :p

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

:D LMAO :D

Yeah I know about the JD/MBA that Casey was talking about. I misunderstood him when he said one has to have a certain major to get into MBA. All good :)

11. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    heeh me Asian too.
    Don't worry about it, it is better than native speaker who say break when they refer to brake :)

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

LMAO

so true! Thanks again for the corrections.

13. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Probably the "crazy" part is right. I figure if Mr2 wants to meet me and my friends at Road America this summer and drive the car a little, what's the harm? I remember when a lawyer in the town I grew up in had a 76 Porsche Turbo Carrera. That was THE car back then. This man didn't even know me but he let me ride in the car and then drive it. It really affected me for the good. Maybe this will impact Mr2guy the same way. Who knows?

14. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Did anyone catch the fact that his name is Dixie Normous?

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  16. mr2guy

mr2guy Rookie

Mar 31, 2004

I'm sure it would impact me in a VERY positive way :)

You know, where I live (Bloomington MN), I see maybe 1 - 2 Ferrari's a year. Its sad, very sad. This is right next to Minneapolis too and still I see only 1 or 2. :(

17. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I definitely see what you mean.
    I am not one of those that can't stand people drive or touch my car. I don't mind lending cars to people for weeks sometimes, but those are cheaper cars like a S2000 or something.
    Now for those cars worth nearly 200k, I mean, just what IF something happens? As we are know, no one is winner in accident. If I have a F360 and let a friend drive, something happens, I doubt the friend can shell out money out of his own pocket to fix, so most likely my insurance will pay, and my rate will go skyrock. And even if somehow it works out that his insurance can cover it, I will still face downtime of the car and diminished resale value. It's all headache. Thus for me as an average Joe, it is just not a chance I would take.
    My M3? Go ahead and take it. My Ferrari? hmm I can take you for a ride, that's about it :)

18. mr2guy

mr2guy Rookie

Mar 31, 2004

You do have a good point there. Everyone has their own opinions and I respect your's. If Mike lets me drive his car thats great. If he changes his mind thats fine and I understand. I mean, if somehow I did hurt his car (which I seriously doubt would happen) I would never be able to forgive myself and I would never even be able to look at a Ferrari again without feeling an unbearable amount of guilt. It gives you a really good feeling to help fulfill someone's dream. If I had a new Ferrari I wouldn't just let anyone drive it. They would first have to have experience with a RWD car and experience with a mid-engine RWD would be a plus too (like me :)). They would also have to be a car enthusiast and know everything about the car without having to ask. Anyways, thats just my $0.02 :)

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    See, for me, I don't recall anyone throwing me the keys and saying "hey, go for it." As a result, I tend to let quite a few people drive my cars. Generally not perfect strangers, but friends of friends, etc. In the end, it's just a car. And for some people, it becomes quite the experience.

--Dan

20. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to talk him out of letting you drive the car :) His car, not mine, not my business.

Although one thing you failed to see, is that it's not really about your skill. We all know America let any kinda moron get a driver's liecense, so even if I trust you 100%, what if some idiot just ram into you, totally not your fault but it will still suck big time for both of us.

21. mr2guy

mr2guy Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    Thanks for chiming in!! Very well said :)

I meant to say something about that but it slipped my mind at the last second. My apologies. Although I would imagine seeing more people ram into OTHER cars because they are too busy trying to stare at your Ferrari. ;) Hehe!!

22. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    I did the combined JD/MBA program at DePaul. I completed both programs in a 3 year period, same as for a normal full-time JD program. So it doesn't necessarily take longer, just a lot more work.

23. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ryan, based on previous posts, it sounds like you're somewhere in the SE MI area. Hit me up sometime!

Mike

24. mr2guy

mr2guy Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    Hey Mike, which Ryan are you refering to?

25. Lawr

Lawr Rookie

Mar 10, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Hey mr2guy, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 19 and I own a 95 mr2 (na though :( ), your car looks very familiar, I'm sure I've seen a picture of it over on the MR2 forum. I browse the ferrari board because I find it very inspirational, because discussions like this one. Hopefully we both can go from our ferrari wannabe cars to ferraris :p Good luck to you and thanks for all the great advice f-chat!

~Lawrence