you see, the nissan guys have this timing gear lock | FerrariChat

you see, the nissan guys have this timing gear lock

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Apr 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

one4torque likes this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    No sir .. don’t you see we are special.. we have the VICE GRIP!

Ghostdiver, ksanjana and kes7u like this.
  3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't like the nut & bolt approach at all. If for any reason those washers mark the belt contact surface on the pulley then you're left with a potential ticking time bomb cam belt failure. It's unlikely, but it's just bad practice.

First approach much better - presumably it's a machined part to fit perfectly into the pulleys.

LorenzoR likes this.
  4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The nut and bolt approach looks pretty scary to me. There are better safer ways

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Related questions gents/ we all know about the variator failures… crack at the stress concentration load point on the cam variator…

could there be a correlation between the over zealous clamping force of large vice grips and a variator crack then failure?

6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I doubt it, the rationale being that Ferrari (shouldn't) wouldn't use vice grips in their dealerships, therefore cars with a FFSH would never exhibit the problem, and Ferrari wouldn't need to issue a revised part - which they have.

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I like the nut and bolt version. Simple and effective. Washers just need a chamfer/radius to match the pully so they don't mark.

hessank, vrsurgeon and rizzo308 like this.
  8. GTuned

GTuned Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2019
    Maybe if you can use modelling clay to shape the gap between the two gears, someone can scan it and 3D print exactly what you need - or they could design something from scratch, but it would probably take longer. If you cover enough teeth, it will be strong enough to hold in place and also not mark the gears,

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They will all be different..which is why no tool is available. When you degree the cams..the teeth will not line up with each other. Cam locks work great none adjustable pulleys but not so great on adjustable ones.

GTuned likes this.