Your Best Maserati Experience | FerrariChat

Your Best Maserati Experience

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by gcmerak, Jan 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    #1 gcmerak, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    I thought this may be an interesting thread to start....OK so, I am a bit redundant.

Ciao,
    George

2. Fazioli

Fazioli Rookie

Jan 30, 2006
    Deseret Territory
    Full Name:
    Alan Grant
    I friend of mine has two, a Quatroportte and a GrandSport, I've driven both serveral times. The GrandSport has the most gorgeous sound and the acceleration is like a fighter going down the runway at takeoff. Wow!

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the coolest moment for me was driving my qpIII from charlotte, nc to hilton head is., scin 1992. i was roaring down the road @ about 90 mph when ahead i noticed i was pulling on a 400i. when i pulled up beside the driver he looked surprised to see an other italian steed. we ran down the highway together for about 40 mins before i had to pull off for gas. it was pretty cool having those two charriots blasting down hwy 95!! i have very fond memories of my 86 qp and each of the 40k miles i drove in it!!

pcb

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had just bought a new Maserati Spyder. I preordered it before it was on sale so I got one of the first ones in the states. I used it as my daily driver.

Good experience: The first time I stopped by the bank to use the ATM, a good looking girl came over to it and said "Nice car!".

Bad experience: A week later, I was shopping for groceries and two guys in their twenties came running over to it to ask me "Hey! Is that the new MIATA?"

You win some, you lose some.

5. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Just after we bought our Spyder, I was in stop-and-go traffic in a high-rent neighborhood. A bicycle rider caught me at a light, then caught me at the next light as well. When we stopped together at the second light, he leaned over and gushed, "THAT is the most beautiful car I've ever seen!"

6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Many: The Monterey Weekend in 2000 when Maserati was the feature marque then driving a Ghibli SS and Bora from Monterey to the East Coast at speeds well about 100 mph for hours on end. Only got nailed once (track fee) in central Neb. at 105mph. About an hour earlier we hit the highest speed of the trip an indicated 155 mph.

Or watching and listening to Four 450S' together for the Maserati Owners National Meet at Le Belle Macchine d'Italia in 2004 or all three 8CTFs together there in 2006 or in 2008 when an example of all 5 Tipo Birdcages were together.

Joe

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Can I do both in the same post? Well here goes ...

I was taking my new Bora in for some service at a shop in Hayward California. I was dropping the car off for complete look-over after having just purchased it and driven back to SF from Oklahoma City.

So I'm crossing the San Mateo bridge doing about 85 on one of those long smooth stretches and this Mustang convertible full of 18-20 year old very lovely ladies pulls along side and they start making, well let's just say very suggestive gestures. Movie stuff.

Wow! The good!

The bad? My wife and mother in-law were directly behind me in the return vehicle, another Mustang ...

Bob S.

8. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Driving the Granturismo S on the Stelvio Pass last summer while being chased by a Ferrari!

Awesome drive, awesome car.

9. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    My wife and I were sitting watching television after we arrived home from work when the doorbell rang. My wife went to answer the door, she informs me that there is a young boy who would like to see me. So, I go to the door this young man [5th grader] tells me he loves exotics and may he take a look at the Merak. I told him it would be my pleasure. We all went out to the garage, he was very pleased. I asked him if he wanted to sit inside the car....his response was "you don't have to ask me twice". Now how much fun was that LOL.

Ciao,
    George

10. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    The following day my wife and I decided to take the Merak out for a spin after work, on the following day after my new found little friend's visit. As we are returning down the road to our house....what do we see.....but a group of 5th/4th graders, one of which was the boy from the previous day. They all have their camera's taking pictures of the car as we approach the driveway. Once we parked, I asked the young man if he would like to have his picture taken in the car on the drivers side, so it would look like he was driving? Well, you already know what he said.

Ciao,
    George

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Sounds like an amazing experience....

For me 2 good ones spring to mind, first passenger ride in a GranTourismo S and driving a GranSport chasing my friends 430 spider...over some great scenic roads, window down and the sound of the two cars...

12. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    #12 maranello71, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Believe me, it was! Here is a picture taken at the top...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. lighibli

lighibli Rookie

Aug 11, 2008
    long island, ny
    Full Name:
    alberto marrero
    I had my 69 Ghibli at a local shop, inside one of its bays with the doors to the street closed. As I'm talking to a mechanic right next to the car, I notice thrugh one of the windows of this door, the face of a young boy, probably 12-13 years old, looking in from the street. For a moment I saw myself, at that age, back in Buenos Aires-Argentina, as I used to do the same thing at a nearby shop, just trying to get a glimpse of whatever "Exotic" car they may have at the time.
    At my request, the mechanic opened the door to let the kid in so he can take a closer look and sit in the car.

14. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Awesome stories!

15. Fenivision

Fenivision Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    I would say every time I get into the 74 Khamsin or the 69 Ghibli SS is a great experience. But if I had to narrow it down to the best and the worst:

Best: One day I was "chasing" an E36 M3 convertible with the Ghibli SS and "caught up" to three slower cars in front of us. The M3 obviously wasn't interested in passing, so downshifted to second (of course matching the revs) and FLOORED it. Passed the 4 cars with all glory coming from the exhaust and surprising the M3 driver. The other three cars in front weren't as pleased as I was (honking and flashing lights), but I gave the M3 a run for the money in a (then) 37 year old car :D

Worst: My uncle and I took his manual '79 QPIII for a spin after it having been tucked away for 5 months due to a long winter. The engine had just warmed up to operating temp and my uncle was complaining about the car pulling slightly to the right. After a few miles the steering wheel started vibrating so violently that he had to stop in the middle of the street. We managed to pull over and saw smoke pouring out of the right wheel-well and then figured out that the right brake-pad had semi-seized in the "applied" position. Had to call a tow truck and it was not soo pleasant. WHAT DOES THIS TELL US? DRIVE THE CARS REGULARLY!!!!!!

16. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    My best Maserati experience was getting married in Siena, Italy, in my Maserati 222, in 2004. The next best thing was driving my 2.24v at Spa Francorchamps: flat-out from La Source to Eau Rouge. When you hit that corner you can really feel the G-forces. I didn't dare driving through the Raidillon flat out though, too dangerous with a Biturbo.