Your first Drive or ride in a Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Your first Drive or ride in a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MITengineer, May 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Every Ferrari I've ridden in I've also driven.

Lucky me.!

One BB512i and three Daytonas..

VERY lucky me..!!

John

2. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    If you get Indy e-mail me and I will try and give you a ride as long as it's not raining/snowing.

3. Micronian

Micronian Rookie

May 1, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rafael G.
    is there any f-chat member in northern NJ willing to give me ride in their ferrari one day at a future gathering in NJ? :) i'll be forever grateful

4. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    My first ride in a Ferrari was last year at a huge car show in Shrewsberry, MA. Me and my dad were there browsing through all of the old muscle cars and blah blah blah... Nothing to interesting. Well, As we were about to leave I spotted a black 328! This was no ordinary 328 either... It belonged to Tom S here on Fchat. The car is an '88 328 GTS Black/Red. It is an extremely rare and beautiful color combo. As we were looking at the car in amazment (I believe it was the first Ferrari I had seen in person), Tom walked over and said it was his. At that point, I didnt even know what to say... I was shocked that I was standing in front of a 328 talking to real, live Ferrari owners! After we chatted a bit the question popped up about me going for a ride in it. I really couldnt say anything, I just opened my mouth and blurted out a, "yes!". So off we went with that glorious Ferrari engine sound(that Tubi sure screams at high RPMs). That car seemed faster than anything I had ever been in, although I knew it wasnt. I still think that it FEELS faster than most cars with twice the amount of horsepower. And the way it handled felt so amazing. It was just so stable and glued to the road. That single ride started a new part of my life called the "I cant live without Ferraris or I will feel sick". Now they are pretty much all I think about just about everywhere. Since then I have been in a 360 Modena(Spivy), and a 355GTS along with a Diablo Roadster(zan). Ive met a whole bunch of FChatters and gone to numerous Ferrari events and gone to dealerships almost every weekend! That one moment when I saw that 328GTS started it all. Thanks Tom!
    Forza Ferrari

5. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Mine was curtesy of f-chat's Ingenere in his beautiful 87 TR! What a car!

6. MarcoRtn

MarcoRtn Karting

Apr 14, 2004
    Roma (ITALY)
    Full Name:
    Marco R.
    Compliments Jordan!!!

You have had Costantino Bertuzzi like personal driver. :))

7. MarcoRtn

MarcoRtn Karting

Apr 14, 2004
    Roma (ITALY)
    Full Name:
    Marco R.
    #32 MarcoRtn, May 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The first ferrari that I have guided have been a 308GTS in 1991 when I had 16 years (look the photo).

I point out that in Italy in order to drive an car it must you have 18 years of age.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    The first ferrari I drove was a car that I eventually bought. A 79 308 gts.
    I really had no serious intention of buying it until I looked over the car, and saw how clean it was. I then scheduled a test drive. After that, it was all over. During the drive I was laughing hysterically. The sound was awesome! Above 5k the car screams rediculously. The radio is useless above 50 mph because the previous owner fit the car with a header, and an ansa exhaust. Yeah the 0-60 isn't anything to talk about, but the midrange and top-end power is really fun. I've raced a few cars, and I haven't been embarrassed. A corvette z06 pulled away from me on the freeway the other day, but that has 400hp and after the initial pull, I was right behind him and I was stuck in 5th gear. I raced a mustang on the freeway, and he tried to pull away, he down shifted and hit it, but I was right with him (I kept it in 5th we were doing 50) until the turn, where I just left him and he was fighting his car. His car was lowered, and looked like it had suspension work done to it. The car handles rediculously well. It's been reliable too, after the first initial bug, of the alternator failing I've had no problems. These cars are awesome! They're such great therapy. After driving a 308 I wonder what a BB is like. I'm thinking a 308 with 12? Is that accurate?

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    actually... notta. sat in a few, but that's about it. ain't that odd? =)

10. cab7104

cab7104 Karting

Mar 25, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Craig
    My first ride was in a 1989 Red Testarossa driven by a good friend of my aunt in New Jersey when I was about 6 or 7 years old. I had one more chance to sit in that car, but never did get to drive in it because the car and its owner moved to South Carolina. This ride inspired my love of Ferraris to grow even stronger, and the bug hasn't left. I am in Rochester, NY for college, and have noticed that Ferraris seem to be few and far between(damn snow and overcast skies), but I am going to make an effort to get to the Pocono event and possibly Lime Rock this year so we will see, maybe I will get lucky and find another ride, or maybe even a drive:). I would love to hear from anyone in the Rochester area and perhaps my love for Ferraris could be refreshed;) To the rest of you who haven't had a ride, just be patient, eventually you will find someone nice to give you one.

Craig

11. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    Last year i got my first drive in a Ferrari, it was a 456 MGT .
    At first i was promised just a ride but after a few km my friend pulls over gets out of the car and hands the keys over to me.

Absolutely great feeling !!!

12. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Im in the same boat as you MIT. Although, I've never bothered asked in fear of getting laughed and scoffed at :( lol :)
    I sat in a black on tan '67 330 with Boranis last year, I loved it and my heart melted. Good times! That was the closest Ive gotten to driving, besides my dreams of course :)

I was going to do that, but I found out all the places here you have to be 27 to rent an Fcar, but by that time I could probably swing one. Go fig.

13. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    The first time I ever sat in or had a ride in a Ferrari was last summer, in an Enzo.

Talk about starting at the top and working your way down.

;-)

14. slashmatt

slashmatt Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    I think I may have sat in a few before this, but here's the story of my first drive. A consignment dealer in Houston introduced my Dad to a person selling a black 512TR. My Dad and I took that beast out for a test drive. I was really suprised when my Dad handed me the keys (which at that point of my life was a rarity for any car). It was a wild ride for sure. The TR is definetly a "supercar". It's a handful to drive, it's got a heavy clutch, and the cockpit allows you to look in one direction, forward. The engine really made some great sounds.

Since then, I've been lucky enough to drive my Dad's '02 360 Spider on several occasions. I think I've put more miles on the car than he has!

Matt

15. jbjavaheri

jbjavaheri Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    West L.A.
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My cousin's '97 355 Spider about three years ago. He took me for a ride in it on a great street for driving, by my house, and made my year!!! Man, 355's sound good! And it was stock!! Changed my life.

I remember coming back from the drive and feeling HIGH. Wow, what a feeling. It was like a huge shot of nicotine for a HIGHLY addicted smoker!!!

Wait a minute....yeah....I think that it even got me aroused.

Now to convince him to get a 360 Spider....

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  17. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    My first time was with a well-prepared 348tb, I'll never forget her. my knees still shake today and it was 8 months ago. She was like a go-cart, could corner so well and stay flat - felt like she could handle anything, and just wanted to be caressed and handled well. Made everything else seem like a mid 70's Caddy - big/fat/soft/slow responding.

2nd time was a 355GTB - and she was lot faster and lot louder (tubi) but just seemed a little softer, not as demanding or rewarding. Fun - but not someone to take home to the wife.

3rd time was last month with a TR - she had great curves, and an engine to die for - and wanted to pull all day long. Not a flaw on her, and she took us to a sweet 360spider - funny how they know how to do that! But no drive in that one, yet.

I've had the opportunity to get up and close to a few other Fcars - another TR, a BB512i, 328GTS, and a 288GTO.

Soon they'll be one in the garage.

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Hmm, I believe my first time was with my dad and it was a 348ts. It was in a Mercedes dealership in NJ, and I went because I loved cars and Ferraris especially, dragging my dad along. We didn't really ask any questions at all, just basically walked around it, and the salesman practically handed us the keys and told us to take it out for a spin - just my dad and me. So, we did. It was great.

Not long after, my dad bought a 1995 355 spdier as the second owner with like no miles from Miller. This was a couple years after I first started really getting into cars (it all started with the XJ220), and I pestered him like crazy until I think he bought one to shut me up. Of course, there was no FChat then, so we bought it, sight unseen, no PPI, nothing - haha. Oh well, it worked out ok. So, we picked it up, and it was I suppose the second ride, but can you really count the 2 seconds in the 348? This was my first real experience. And what an experience it was! The sound, the smell of the leather, waving back to practically every car we passed (all of whom were giving thumbs up.) One car in front of us had a bunch of kids in the back seat. They all turned around and pressed their face to the glass and waved. I knew we were in something special.