Your First F-Car | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Your First F-Car

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by NaeemT, Sep 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

hope so that will seperate the men from the boys and i can buy mansion up here for 400k then :)

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Buy prop for cash, you know it makes sense ;)

3. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    City salary rises reflect recovery in banking
    By Lina Saigol,European M&A Correspondent
    Published: September 16 2005 03:00 | Last updated: September 16 2005 03:00

The Square Mile's payroll has reached levels not seen since the height of the dotcom boom as investment banking activity continues to recover, according to new research.

The Centre for Economics and Business Research, the economics consultancy, forecasts salaries in the City of London to average £325,700, up £9,700 from last year, with further rises to £328,700 in 2006 and 330,500 in 2007.

So who's still feeling above average ?

4. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    16+% on my cash savings (sorry... I mean Joe Macari's pension fund) would be lurvly.

Mortgages are stupid, buy out-right or not at all. (OK, thats going to start an arguement) :D

5. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    needed a 2+2 (or one and a bit) saw 10 cars before buying current car as rolling resto but with full history to day one. Six years on, decision time, keep the mondy (which is pretty much perfect now) or look at a particularly nice yellow 348....decisions decisions! Oh and I was 40ish at the time and it was a b'day pressie to me

6. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Mortgages are stupid, buy out-right or not at all. (OK, thats going to start an arguement) :D[/QUOTE]

Dont know about an argument but you just put me (and 6 of my staff) onto the dole!!!!!

7. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I always told myself I would have a Ferrari by the time I was 40. I acheived it with 4 months to spare!

I bought by Healey 3000 though when I was 19 - and still have it.

8. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    Philip,

In me feken dreams, mate! What does this "average" mean, though? There are an awful lot of PAs, security guards and catering staff in the city earning less than 20 grand a year, so it this an average of just 'bankers' ? Even analysts, and top IT managers are on around a oner or one-fifty max so it's hard to see how the 'average' could be a third of a bar, unless it excludes a lot of folks at the bottom end. The UK is full of millionaires and people who own their own businesses (most of them sitting around all day posting on Fchat), and yet the average national wage is still about nineteen grand..... How does that make sense?

Meanwhile back on the thread topic: First Fcar was a beautiful Black four year old RHD 348 TB, at the age of 30, after spending 9 months looking for an Aston Martin.... Wasn't planning any target age (never thought in a million years that I'd ever own any type of nice car), but just drove it and had to have it (which took about 2 months to wangle).

J.

9. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yeah right and how do you propose people with ordinary salaries buy a nice house ay? Comments like this on a public forum make Ferrari owners look like @rseholes with more money than sense.

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H

Totally agree . £300k plus will be earned by less than 5 % of city workers.

11. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Planned to buy a Ferrari for my 40th when I was about 36 and got it with days to spare in my 41st year!! Was going for a 308 first, then my wife thought a 2+2 would be better (and cheaper ;)) so my daughter could come too. I bought the Mondy which I am pleased with, even if it has been a bit unreliable over the last 12 months.

The Irony is that my wife does not like it one bit. I asked her to move it off the drive once and she could not start it (I said it had been unreliable).

I agree, to buy one is not a big deal. However running costs are quite high even for the Mondial (which has to be one of the cheapest to buy/maintain).

Though I am now looking to my next which will be a 348 or Testarossa in about 4 years time. Though for the Testarossa I reckon my garage will need extending....

I did buy (or the building society did) my first house when I was 22 but wish I had bought a Ferrari instead ;)

12. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    All depends what they're counting, and I never really trust these surveys (sensationalist journalism - and most journalists couldn't understand statistics if their life depended on it).

Anyway...

First one at 32. Second at 34.

One of those things I'd always dismissed as being possible until I looked into it properly. And it was rubystone who made me see the light (even though his idea of what things cost is often very optimistic!).

13. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I read the whole article now. Yes it seems like it is an average in the financial sector alone. I initially thought it may be as a total City working population average and that seemed to be quite high. I remember about 5-6 years ago there was a government stat that there were only about 110,000 people (or 180,0000 - don't remember exactly) in the UK that were on the tax register with incomes in excess of £100k.

Anyway, just on the subject: Ever since watching Magnum PI and going to my first F1 GP in Kyalami in 1979, I set a goal to have a 308 before 30. I got it as soon as i could get the money together when I was 26! Still have her and I plan to keep her forever.

14. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    First Ferrari is my Testarossa, bought and paid for in cash at 26. L-Car next year for my 30th please, maybe.

15. Nicola

Nicola Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Northampton
    Not got there yet.

Hope to get a scrummy one before I am 40.

16. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Yep, got to agree with Hazy on this, not one of your best comments Ade.

I'm by no means a pauper but there's no way I could have bought our house outright.

17. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    33 - and can't believe i waited so long after wasting time on Porsches and BMW's :( Next one already in the planning stages..........a Nero 430 will be mine :D

and i can't believe people on here advocate buying property for cash! Property is all about gearing...................

18. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    hurry up you only got 6 months left

19. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    my mum gave me a house for my 18th birthday

20. Nicola

Nicola Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Northampton
    Lucky for me it is years in the future.

21. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    are you the same nicola that went to the airfield ???????????

22. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    spoilt git ...

23. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    and a testarossa at 21

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    doubly spoilt git

25. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Was it a house on wheels? Then you got the Testa to pull the caravan? ;)

Wish I could even think of a flash car at any time soon. I am getting all excited because I am getting insured on my girlfriend's 1.6 Leon at the age of 20! A lot more than I could afford myself :(