Youtube 458 movie-thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Youtube 458 movie-thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by infinity, Aug 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uuuu

uuuu Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    #101 uuuu, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Just watched this again. This is by far the best vid of the 458 so far. The old guy really is giving it some. Come on French speakers, just the highlights will do. :)

3. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
  4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #104 hank sound, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    But (was I stoned??) I never saw him flick the shift levers in the video, though I heard gear changes. One of the other mags had the tester in an "orgasmic" state while flicking the levers, both up and down.

Is there an "auto" mode in the 458, that I wasn't aware of. My God, this car seems to have it all!!!!!!

Come on, lottery :)

Hank

5. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    God help us in that case. All I get is someone doing a video of a video. I think we have better technology these days.

6. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    I'll try to translate a bit what he's saying at 4:32. He speaking about the new dual clutched F1 of the 458 and he compares it to the Scud:

<<The gearbox is "total" with no response time. The Scuderia was already very impressive with gears passing at 60 msec which was better than a pilot could do. Now, its 0,0 msec and that why the Italia is called 0 shift because there is no more response time with no rupture in the accelation...>>

After he continues speaking about the great handling of the Italia which is considerably improved.

If you want anything else to be translated, don't hesistate to ask. I'll try to do my best ;)

BTW, all what he's saying, I can confirm it at 100% coz I've test drove the 458. The gear box is AMAZING ! I'm a manual fan but now with the 458, it would be the first car I'm tempted to go for a F1...

7. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef

For sur the 458 has a "auto" mode which is by the way very clever. The guy explains in his video that in auto mode, it is able to down shift from 5 to 3 directly. I tried it out myself and honnestly, I was also wondering what's the advantage of the levers because the auto mode is doing everything much better and in a very clever way. So you won't be able to do any better ;)

8. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Stef. :)

9. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    #109 Lesia44, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
    I'm not on about the quality, yes, it's a video of a video which is frustrating so I hope it pops up somewhere in its original form. It's that this guy seems to be giving it a good pasting like I've rarely seen in any of the other vids and you get an impression of speed that I've yet to see elsewhere. I like to drive at full pelt so this is my kind of driving. And besides, as soon as he gets the pedal down I'm so captivated by the driving that I hardly notice the screen in screen.

Thank you SfefVan.

10. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
  11. uuuu

uuuu Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    #111 uuuu, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
    Yes I believe this is one of the advantages of the dual-clutch technology...that and fuel consumption. And less jerkier usage (especially in auto-mode). But on the downsides, it weights considerably more than the previous automated-manual; around 30 kilos or so more. That's one of the reasons this car is actually heavier than a standard F430 :>

But that doesn't really matter if the handling is actually better lol. Anyways thanks for the response :>

12. stereotaipei

stereotaipei Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Taiwan + Europe
    Regarding the French video: this is the video of the test done by Sport Auto magazine, the best French magazine for sport cars (a DVD with videos of test of Ferrari Enzo, 458, F40 and F50 was sold bundled with December magazine - impressive sound on original DVD!).
    The French tester is completely bluffed by the ride of the 458: "I come to test the successor of the 430, and it is like getting an uppercut.... just extraordinary! a completely different car". He says several time that they have done a quantum leap vs the 430: "you need to forget whatever you drove before, becasue here you get the best of all".
    You don't see him changing gears, as he is most of the time driving in auto. He is stating that the gearbox is really smart in auto, and that you can drive this car so fast that you are better off not moving the fingers and just focusing on where to put the wheels...: "this car is such a wild beast you are happy to leave the hands on the wheel".
    What is missing is the second part of the video, where you see him going on Fiorano track with the head collaudatore of Ferrari. Even more impressive to see the great intrinsic stability of the car with electronics switched off

13. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    And that explains why the Youtube vid is being shown on a screen rather than straight to video. Thanks for the explanation and the translation.

14. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
  15. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
  16. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Nice video which is from the 01.2010 Sporauto Magazine DVD. In a nutshell, the guy is saying that Dario (Ferrari Engineer) is one of the guys who knows best the 458. He claims once again that the 458 is high above everything he tested before, including the Scud. "It's the more than perfect car" ;)

17. origo

origo Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2007
    In my garage
    Full Name:
    Kjell I.
    Dario Benuzzi is not an engineer but Ferraris chief testdriver.

18. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

19. infinity

infinity Karting

Apr 14, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dries
  20. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Well found video! This has been filmed in Switzerland, around the Lausanne city where my Ferrari dealer is. That's a good example of the real sound I heard when I test drove the 458. But I've not be that stupid to drive it in such ridicilus weather conditions...it's a real sacrilege coz as you can hear, the e-diff is struggling like hell to pass some power to the wheel ;)

21. Paultje

Paultje Karting

Feb 14, 2010
    Wateringen
  22. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Thanks for posting. Despite the lack of sounds your vid makes the car look really good. I don't know if it's the lighting in that room or what but your exterior shots make the car look fantastic. Nice one.

23. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
  24. Paultje

Paultje Karting

Feb 14, 2010
    Wateringen
    #124 Paultje, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    Lighting was good. I used a Panasonic Full HD camera (therefor the youtube video can be viewed in 1080p).