Youtuber on design differences between 458 and F8 | FerrariChat

Youtuber on design differences between 458 and F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by skyscorcher, Apr 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skyscorcher

skyscorcher Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Roberto Zanon
    Not sure if you have seen this guy before, his video makes some kind of sense. I personally prefer the more "busy" look of the F8 but his words have some merit?

What do you think?

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I personally think it was all downhill after the Speciale.

The 488 doesn't do anything for me...Pista is an improvement, and I wouldn't kick the F8 out of bed for eating crackers....but if I could only have one it would be the Speciale.

obbob, FFan5 and m5shiv like this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    The F8 is a beautiful, contemporary car.

I think the 458 is timeless and a masterpiece. Not because I like it, nor because I own it.

If there are any professional designers out there, namely in the field of automotive/product design, they’ll tell you that building a Ferrari like a 458 in terms of aerodynamics (downforce) and engineering (cooling) requirements WITHOUT side vents/scoops and/or ailerons, is nothing short of amazing.

I was once told by an older, wiser man at a meeting that anyone can complicate a matter. Make it more complex, confusing, formal, with big words. The true talent manifests itself and lies in making a simple, direct, flowing explanation that anyone can understand about a very dense and difficult matter.

IMVHO, the same applies in terms of design. Hence my preference for the 458 without hesitation.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

rttj777, Graz, m5shiv and 2 others like this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I remember when the 458 was initially introduced - I thought it was the most beautiful car made in a very long time. I still feel that way but I also like the new models as well. Its OK to appreciate each model.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Very interesting video and very well done. Design will always be primarily opinion but this video does a great job of understanding some of the nuances of car design.

skyscorcher likes this.
  6. skyscorcher

skyscorcher Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Roberto Zanon
    To me I guess subjectivity plays a big role as well. For example the more aggressive Pista looks, makes me wanna cry. It's most probably the best looking car I've ever seen.

But there are also some objective criteria I guess. In any way the guy seems legit in general, have watched some more videos of him and he knows his stuff.

Pis7a2020, Gh21631 and Nuvolari like this.
  7. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I can't find the article that was written about the engineering feat to create the 458 without any side scoops on the body. It was a great article that explained how and why it was so special.

Also, we have to give credit to Pininfarina who designed many signature cars including the 458.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/news/a32659/ferrari-pininfarina-812-superfast/

I have to say I really do love and enjoy just looking at the 458.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Beautiful man cave, Jason! Enjoy in good health!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I think I read somewhere that although it was brought up initially Luca was insistent on keeping the air intakes out of the side of the 458. He wanted to make sure the design of the 458 was sleek and flowing. Grazie mille Luca!

10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love the look of the 458, and appreciate what he is saying in the video, but I also love the look of the F8 just as much if not more

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    As he said, doesn’t sound good.
    Looks nice though.

12. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I miss having the 458 in the garage, and never truly appreciated the subtle beauty it charmed on us until we owned it. Growing up in the late 80s and 90s, I always loved side scoops and vents, and because 99% of cars don’t have those, I always thought a Ferrari should. F40 and 512TR were favorite posters on the wall. That being said, I personally feel that the Pista gives me that excitement of open air vents and side scoops that I longed for as a kid, while retaining much of that beauty that the 458 has. The 458 will always be gorgeous, and I hope to add a Speciale, which fixes my least favorite part of the 458 (front end whiskers).

13. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I had actually commented on that YouTube video.

“Design and performance are not as homogeneous as they used to be. Many of the extra lines in the F8, are there for function. The increased aero and downforce on the f8 are far superior to those on the 458.”

Having said that, the 458 is a beauty.

Modern day exotics are performing at such a high level, that design is typically compromised in favor of function.

Blame Mclaren. Why do they have to make such fast cars. They made Ferrari add extra aero...hahahhhahahahaah!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    interesting video, makes sense, thanks for posting

I prefer the lines of the 458, however very subjective, eyes of the beholder

15. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is really cool, and the change is beautiful, are there any high resolution static pictures of his rework I can’t find any

16. Azhar7242

Azhar7242 Rookie

Aug 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Azhar m
  17. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I still drool to this day whenever I go to my garage or see a 458 go by, as if I’ve never seen one, as if I didn’t own one and as if the car was launched yesterday. It’s always fresh, sexy and magnetically appealing.

Nowadays it’s hard to feel this way about anything or anyone, let alone a car. The 458 is indeed very special.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

jomarti1, Azhar7242 and up4speed like this.
  18. Azhar7242

Azhar7242 Rookie

Aug 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Azhar m
    I personally dont care about numbers and track times, a car to me is more than just that, 458 ticked all the boxes for me.

I looked at the 488, didnt like the shape better than 458; test drove brand new Huracan Evo, its a great car that I will get eventually get but will not pick it over 458, plan to keep it forever. It is a very special car to me, nothing like it.

jomarti1 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.