YYZ ATC | Page 3 | FerrariChat

YYZ ATC

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by tantumaude, Nov 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #51 PureEuroM3, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is just another why I love Fchat...A group of individuals sharing similar passions! I posted one picture of the air show today and got a PM from Mat minutes later with his information so that we can communicate a get together and watch the airshow from the tower.

I snapped this picture of the flyby infront of the tower and in less than 30 minutes I was watching the rest of the show from the tower with my dad. I can't thank you enough for the experience and guiding my flights home safely time after time. My dad still can't believe we just went up and got to see YYZ from this perspective.

Thank you!!!

P.S WestJet 3609 - 10:00PM Arrival on Friday
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    My pleasure! I'm very happy you both enjoyed it--it's not often we get to share the fruits of our work to others, especially those who appreciate it.

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hello! Hows the weather put there today? Im about to depart ws3436 @4pm. Looks windy cant imagine you were far from some flights being cancelled today.

lightning is holding off so far...

4. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I'm still on leave, but I see the winds are pretty strong out of the west, which is good for us, as we can use the 23/24s--our favourite operation. Higher winds (to a point) mean we can actually move more planes, as they approach slower and take off faster.

5. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Yeah, that was pretty bad driving. I can't imagine having to make the explanatory announcement to the passengers afterwards.

We've already gotten new procedures to prevent that happening again. We will call it the EVA rule.

6. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Well, this evening is going to hell in a handbasket very quickly. Want to see chaos? Come to YYZ.

It's snowing lightly here, which means everything is slippery and we have to run the plows. The airlines have been caught completely by surprise, so very few flights got cancelled ahead of time. The entire NY area is in a ground stop (which means that nobody bound for those airports can depart). Ergo, every flight for those airports has to push off their gates, but then has to park somewhere on a taxiway or runway--which gets in the plows' way.

We have three parallel runways we are trying to use tonight. The plows are clearing one of them at any given time. An hour ago, someone departing off the second runway hit a snowy owl, which then disintegrated all over the runway. That runway has been shut down. That same aircraft declared an emergency due to nose gear damage and is returning as I type this.

In the meantime, another aircraft landed on the third runway and discovered that they couldn't steer to get off said runway, therefore shutting it down. So we're down to zero runways (one will be good to go in about three minutes when the plows are hustled off.). There are 60 aircraft waiting in line or deicing.

I just heard the emergency aircraft is on approach, but has no runway on which to land. This is going to get interesting.

7. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Just as soon as I get out of Atlanta....

(Thankfully kidding - hope none of y’all are stuck there...)

tantumaude likes this.
  8. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Too soon, too soon. That was a very good example of what can happen to an airport that grew too quickly--very little redundancy.

9. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Well no surprise here...delayed over 2 hours coming home!

10. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    dl6304 this friday from MIN to YYZ.

11. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Taking the late flight again? I'll be in bed by then!

12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    And it's growth doesn't seem to be slowing any time soon

13. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  14. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I've been on the late shift for the last couple of days, and been working up to two hours past the end of the shift due to the backlog of arrivals. It's like nobody has ever seen snow before. Apparently the average delay this evening was 132 minutes. For the first time, YYZ is at the top of the delay and departure restriction list for North America. Yay, I think?

15. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I cant even imagine from your end how this feels. I just walked in the door now.

16. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Congrats Mat. Many years ago a friend of mine did the training but decided to go into sales instead. I'm not sure that the general public realizes the amount of intelligence it takes to become an atc, I was also told there was a huge washout rate.

17. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Thanks Rob--it's nice to be understood :)

I think we take 6% of applicants here in Ontario. Of those, pretty much every one comes to YYZ first. Those that don't make it go to other towers. I think we end up retaining 2% of those original 6%. You can do the math, which explains why we're perpetually short-staffed.

18. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I still remember when Reagen fired all the atc's stateside.....replaced with military I believe....wonder there weren't more accidents. On a side note, I believe the movie about atc's was called "Pushing Tin", John Cusack, Billy Bob Thornton and Ms. Jolie. I still laugh at their description of commercial pilots and of course the stunt with the 747!

19. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    You'll get a kick out of this--those scenes from the film taking place in the control centre were actually filmed here at the Toronto centre. A few of my colleagues would hang out with Thornton between takes.

20. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  21. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Nice shots! It's sad to think that the 747 will be gone soon...we've got an AN-124 parked by the tower, so at least I get my four-engine fix this weekend.

22. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  23. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Eek. Poor midnight shift will have to deal with these...I expect some won't depart until after 2 in the morning.

24. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What happened?