Z06 can't win...even if it is the fastest. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Z06 can't win...even if it is the fastest.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 6.0 se, Jul 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004

R&T simply states "Pirelli PZero Corsa", no "System". Perhaps they made a mistake. I'm also taking info from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/comp.jsp Maybe you'll want to notify TireRack about their misinformation. Either way, Corsa or Corsa System, they're both significantly more like a racing tire than either the Michelin PS2s or the crappy Goodyear Supercars. My point still stands about an advantage being had by equipping the cars with the PZero Corsas and the fact that the test results would be a different situation if ALL cars were equipped with competition-style tires.

If the Dodge sold the Viper with slicks and it crushed all the other cars in the test, everyone would be in an uproar. Let's be real here... the F430 and Gallardo are both magnificent cars, but they aren't as dominant as the R&T test would have you think.

2. brim

brim Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Getting back to the OP, the 0-150MPH is incredible.

The Z06 was 6 seconds faster than the F430. 6 seconds at that speed is astonishing.

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I'm going by real world experience with Corsa and Corsa System - and I stand by my comments. I'd love to see a comparo between the PS2 and the Corsa System, I bet they are very close. If you check contemporary Stradale road tests you'll see that they had no huge advantage with their tires, and those are the exact tires used in the R&T test. If these were "slicks" you'd see the 430 pulling 1.3 g's in the data panel skidpad numbers, which it does not, it pulls the same number as the Viper. I agree it would be preferable to have all the cars equipped with the same tire, but otoh different cars are optimized for different tires, so there's a problem there, too. And like I said in my first post, all this really proves is you can't really trust any of the magazines to be completely accurate - but of course there is the very human tendency to think the magazine that favors your car is the more accurate one :)

Gary

4. kpl

kpl Karting

Jun 9, 2005
    I wonder if the spec box has an error in it. Vipers don't come with PS2s and PS2s don't even come in sizes to fit stock Viper wheels. I'm guessing that the Viper was on Pilot Sport runflats and not Pilot Sport 2s.

5. TopCloser

TopCloser Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    It's a full quarter mile in distance (well, actually .24 miles). That's a HUGE carlength the Z06 has on the F-car.

Completely biased, if you ask me. The Z06 has its flaws, but so does the 430 and the G-car. Just because it doesn't cater to the Brahmans does not mean it is not a superior sports car. Looks to me like it dominates the "sporty" performance of the other two in perhaps 80% of the catergories. Seems to me like it's the superior sports car of the bunch.

Dunno, though. That's just me.

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    No matter how you look at it,the new Z06 is absolutely the best performance value in the World today.....

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    nice to see the upgraded G is right in the running performance wise!:)

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I get just about every car rag published. It never ceases to amaze me how much the results differ from one to another. When the 430 and the 997S came out two different mags had their 0-60 times at sub 4.0's in both cases faster than the 599, or the 997tt. Neither is true but hey it was in print right.

9. brim

brim Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    I actually rounded the time differential - it was 6.1 seconds to be exact. So at 150 MPH steady, that's 0.254 of a mile. Since the Z06 is still accelerating at that velocity, we can assume the distance would actually be greater.

A quarter mile (or more) is just nuts. If you look at the base prices, there is over 100k separating the F430 and the Z06.

I tested my Murcielago out against the C6 Z06 a few weekends back. From a roll, from 50, from 100, and I can honestly say that it is either as quick or quicker than a Murcie.

10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Have you worked out the number of car lengths the 430 has on the Z06 in the R&T test?

Take all these test results with a grain of salt.

Gary

11. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
    Yes, I stand corrected. I saw Pilot Sport in the Viper colum and assumed PS2.

Gary, I agree about magazine tests being taken with a grain of salt. Unfortunately "magazine racing" is very popular, especially on the internet. People simply look at the published times and the final ranking without asking questions about how the results were acheived. When I saw the F430 and Gallardo so far ahead in several of the categories, it struck me as odd. In my attempt to find out why the Lambo and Ferrari finished 2 seconds clear of the other four in lap times, as well as at the top of many of the other categoies, my attention was drawn to the tires. Maybe that's why they finished so far ahead, maybe not. I haven't driven ALL of the cars in the test, so I don't know. I just find it a shame that people dismiss and ridicule certain brands or models just because they don't get 1st place in a magazine test that is hardly scientific.

Some more conspiracy theory regarding the R&T test: the R&T crew were actually guests of the Italian magazine Quattroruote, with the test taking place on Italian soil..... so is it any wonder that the 2 Italian examples "performed" the best? ;) I can see it now "Eh Maaaaario, make-a sure you fill up de Ferrari wit de racing gas!"

12. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    6.0 SE,
    OT what bolt ons do you have for the GT that netted 700+rwhp? Are you on www.fordgtforum.com?

Thanks

13. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    FRPP exhaust, headers, cat delete etc....SCT, fairly radical tune....pulley...and a low shot of go gas. I am a Nitrous junkie....even had it on my 6.0. Without the low shot...it was 660+. Really about the same as everyone..except the Nitrous. Yes...I am on your forum.

14. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    What username?

15. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    There are no jokers in that test. The Z06 would be nothing with a lesser engine, while the other cars offer a complete package.

16. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    What 70K car offers a more complete package?

17. F355spyder

F355spyder Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    There isn't.............he's talking out his rear end.

18. matt_bear

matt_bear Formula Junior

May 23, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Matt
    i don't care about comparing all the different magazines. We already know it's a mess.

Focus on THIS ONE.

Car and Driver did their test, and the z06 was the winner in every major statistical performance catagory. Plus, it had the quietest interior (that's gotta count for something) at 72db's.

Fastest straight line acceleration, fastest top speed, AND it turned in the fastest lap time in THEIR TEST.

So how did THEY come up with the z06 being last from THEIR tests?

19. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    It is really quite simple how the Vette came in last: Read the article--CD does two evaluations, one looks at the basic performance numbers the other evaluation is more subjective, that is quantitative vs qualitative perceptions.

CD, in evaluating the 3 cars felt that the intangible charateristics of the Porsche and Ferrari were superior to the Corvett, even if the performance was closer (or superior to the Vette.)

What are some of these intangible characteristics? Try steering feedback, damping characteristics, weight transfer and balance, rigidity, pitch and rollrates, chassis fundamental frequency, brake modulation, etc. All these things have to do with the visceral enjoyment one gets from driving the cars at speed. And in the opinion of the CD testers, they found that the Vette's absolute performance ability is equal or better than the Porsche and Ferrari, but that the enjoyment one gets out of reaching and utilizing these abilities is superior in the Porsche and Ferrari.

Does that mean the Ferrari or Porsche is a better car than a Vette? As always, it depends on the purpose/needs and desires of the owner. For a low(er) cost, high performance car, that would be a good track car, then look to the Vette. It does have the best performance/cost ratio of any sports car in the world.