Z06 for my 360 | FerrariChat

Z06 for my 360

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by mikegr, Aug 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    I am thinking to trade my 2000 F1 360 for a 08 Z06, before upgrade to 430 next year.
    Any opinions?

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I owned all three. Thing is once you own the Z you may not want the 430! I'd do it, no question about it.

3. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Spend the money to get a set of Caravaggio seats and an MGW shifter. It is a really great car.

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    The Z06 will be eye opening in terms of performance (much higher) and operating costs (much lower). If you can get past the difference in perceived prestige, you will love the Z06.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'd wait a bit till the new vette is fully out....... they depreciate like rocks

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have a Katech Z06 w near 700hp

Only La Ferrari, FXX, or full race 458 can come close

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    So do common Ferraris LOL

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'll take 7 LeMans wins for Vettes over any 21st C Ferrari

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    yeah, true.

but not from the 360 that he currently has. somebody (maybe him?) already took an ass pounding and your at the tail end of the curve there.

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Get a full Caravaggio interior and you'll forget all about anything else

11. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    Depreciation is not a matter to me as the '08 Z06 with 10k miles im looking for is 40.000$, so i can get a newer car and get some money back also.
    Now the Le man affair.
    With 30 titles in F1, the greatest car championship in planet, Ferrari simply drives the league.
    Prestige also is not important as Vettes are considered rare cars here and they do attract people, although as not as much as Ferraris.
    What i really don't know is how enjoyable is a Z06, because i know nothing compares to a V8 mid engine car in this. I have driven some 996 Turbos , faster than stock Z06. Found them boring, my 360 is much more enjoyable to drive. I don't want another straightliner

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The Corvette handles much better than the Turbo & has the power to hold crazy tail slides

Definately not just a straight liner

Aero is very good on Vette but needs a little help re downforce but that's an easy fix w a carbon splitter & diffuser

Of course you can go crazy like I did :). Mine pulls near 1.5 G in corners on slicks

Also I love the heads up display

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The Z06 is a force to be messed with. The greatest performance for the money.

14. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    What's the exhaust on yours? Any suspension/wheels mods?

15. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I sold my early production 06' Z06 earlier this year, owned since 06', it saw a lot of road track time. I installed a Recaro -Porsche GT3 euro seat along with a 5 point harness, installed the centennial sueded steering wheel; when I went to the track I used CCW rims and Hoosier R6 tires, I also changed the shocks to specially valved bilsteins. I had also put on the Zr1 side skirts and full length rear spoiler.

The chassis tuning required getting used to compared to my C5Z, but once I got into the groove of the car it was a true joy to drive hard. Very few cars are able to best this car. I think the car looks great and performs amazingly, however the interior quality will disappoint compared to the F car or the P car. If the interior does not matter that much to you, then go for it.

16. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #16 WILLIAM H, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mine is pretty close to a C6R for the street. Its fully modded to the max

Got rid of the leaf springs & added Moton coil overs all around. CCW wheels & slicks for the tracks w Brembo big brake kit

Apart from that she has a carbon splitter, carbon World Challenge hood, & C6R wing + a diffuser on the bottom w CES exhaust

Last she has a naturally aspirated Katech race engine built w a ZR1 block making near 700hp + a road race trans & geared for explosive acceleration out of corners

Almost forgot the Caravaggio interior
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think the power and spec numbers will blow you away, but the tactility compared to a 360 will lack. Rapier to axe if you will. If youa re driving mountain roads then neither car is being driven to its limit, the ferrari may be more "fun". Of course operating costs on the ferrari vs vette will mean in a few years of vette ownership you will have saved enough to buy a new c7 vette, which probaby is the best new car out there.

18. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Put a nice set of non run flats on the z06 and you will enjoy the handling more.

I used DSVettes for the interior as they are much more competitive on pricing and the quality is also good. Not as good as Caravaggio but remember its a forty grand car..if your buying preowned..

Just a thought to consider.

The 360 is a thing of beauty....the z06 an insane beast. You'll enjoy it and the MGW shifter is a smart 200 dollar short throw that is sweet.

One piece of advice with any c5 or c6 is to that it is important to have a qualified gm world class tech flush the clutch fluid every two years...its a smart 100 dollar procedure that alleviates the sticking clutch pedal.

Better than the ranger method and I've not had a problem ever on my c6 because of it.

Good luck

19. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    What is wheel dimension?

20. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    Why run flats and not Michelin PPS or Pilot Cup?

21. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    #21 DoctorV8, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Its not perceived ...its real ! You see a Vette daily everywhere , you don't see a Ferrari daily or even monthly . Italian styling much much better than Chevy 50+ age group styling. Plus antiquated push rod motor even Ford abandoned those ...

That being said I'm in the market for c4. Gransport or zr1. Had two Ferraris and never a Vette . Growing up in the 70s Vette was king and Ferrari was still trying to figure things out .

23. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    If pushrods are "antiquated' as you say (they aren't), why would you consider a GS? ZR-1 all the way!

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    GS , love that blue. Im not buying one technology innovation they have none.

Explain to me why push rod isn't old technology ?

25. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    A pushrod engine is typically smaller and lighter than an OHC engine of the same displacement, since you don't have to add cams and bearings to the top of the heads. In addition, the OHC engine has a higher CG due to the 4 steel cams on top in comparison to the one central cam.

OHC engines really shine in sustained high rpms, but unless they are chain-driven, the belt changes make them a maintenance-heavy option, and a pushrod engine can easily go well over 100,000 miles without any maintenance other than oil changes.

In 2006, when the Z06 and its 7.0 liter LS7 was introduced, the car produced 505 hp. The Z06 is lighter than the F430, and the F430 only got EPA 11/16 fuel economy, whereas the Z06 got 15/24 and was not saddled with a gas guzzler tax. And the LS7 makes 505 hp to the 430's 483 hp.

Now exactly what is inferior as between the engine in the Z06 and the F430?

You go with that prestige, folks, all you want, and better keep the F430 parked at the valet stand, as once it is under way you'll be waving bye-bye to a Z06.

Keep on slurping up the Ferrari Kool Aide.