Z06 is 650hp/650ft-lb | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Z06 is 650hp/650ft-lb

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by smooth, Jun 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    SRT has got to be feeling punch-drunk. First the C7 base car and now this! And they are expecting to sell 640 hp cars for up to $150+K that look like Gen II cars that can be had used for around $50K. And I love Vipers, but ouch!

2. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    How do you like them on track?

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #28 boxerman, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Lets see how the zo6 does on track. The weight may be an issue but then the new GT3 is no lighteweight either. In the end you can make a heavier more powerful car go fast, but tires and brakes are going to wilt and wear quickly, and that is hard to overcome.

There is still some talk out of Gm about a reprise for the LS7 motor, so we may still see a 3100lbs factory vette trackable car. The new Zr1 is rumored to be a 750 hp twin turbo monster. So maybe we will see in time regular 460 hp vettes, a NA 555 hp track vette a 650 Hp vette and a 750 HP vette.

In any event, at the NYMS the z06 was easily the most exciting new car there, and looking at the z28 spec you can see GM is really trying and understands what it takes to make a trackable car. Even the bare Z06 chassis on display looked well done and with all the good bits. No doubt the z06 will be quick and post great track numbers, the question is can it hold up to a full day of say 5 or so 30 min track sessions, running consistently hard without eating its brakes and tires. In fact how many days will brakes and tires last( that is the weight concern).

As exciting as Ferraris etc may be, to me the most exciting new car is the vette z06, its still a manual and the build seems to be above the previous sub par, now decent. The styling which is a bit overdone on a C7 works with the Z06 where the flares etc bring it all together.

A 458 is unexciting to drive, a GT3 is a german GTR and the Mclaren, well maybe the 650's is hitting a sweetspot, but its still turbo PDK and going to be tripple a Z06 in cost. I dont think we will have to make too many excuses ie bang for buck on the vette, at least if the current C7 reviews are anything to go by. This may be a car where everything works as it should, steering brakes shift etc. I hope its the 997.2 GT3 of 2015, Gm might just have its mojo on.

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Love them. I did the Viper cup in 2010 and the ACR X was a great spec race car. The street ACR is fantastic as well. But like all heavy, high HP cars, brake wear and fade are big issues.

5. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Not from any reputable source. LS motors in Vettes are officially ancient history. An "LT7" direct injected 427 is a pipe dream, though I'd buy one in a millisecond.

Interesting perspective. Aside from being a DCT, which in traffic is less involving than a stick, I can't think of a situation where the 458 isn't a thrill. I generally take my 458 and ZR1 for track days, and I get a kick out of both schools, new and old.

6. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Do you prefer the ACR vs your modded Z06 on track?

7. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #32 kverges, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    My Z06 is actually stock except for ducts to the front brakes. The ACR is better on track, with a bit of real downforce and better brakes. The Z06 is much better at everything else and a better all-round car.

I expect the new Z06 to be a viable alternative to virtually any car available for real world driving, and to be decent on track. A nice plus is that it should have a manual transmission, which many find more engaging than a DCT that has become mandatory in most everything else.

I bet it does get cross-shopped against Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren and Porsche, at least by the more serious driver who is not blinded by brand.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Any new releases as to what it weighs

9. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Agreed. I suppose guys like you and me fit that description, but we are surely in the minority amongst fchatters.......

I'm #1 on the list at my local dealer. The only question will be whether this replaces my ZR1 or not.

10. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    not yet, but 100-150 lbs over the base C7 is a safe guess.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If it gies as well as the looks suggest, I see no reason to get anything else.

12. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Well, considering the performance of the outgoing ZR1 with 50 ft lbs less torque, less structural rigidity, no e-diff, and inferior rubber was still competitive with 458s and MP4s, this new Z06 should be a stunner.

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Perhaps the Z06 will weigh 100-150# more than the Stingray, with no ZR-1 planned apparently.

But that wouldn't stop Chevy from making a "superlight" version of the Z06 with all the sound-deadening stripped out, manual seats and windows with thin glass and carbon fiber goodies. Charge another $20k and a weight barely under 3000#. Basically a cliche racecar for the street, but potent as hell.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Cool that si the one I want then. Still I dont see them loosinlg 500lbs from the ZO6.

15. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    From your mouth to Detroit's ears! A "GT3" equivalent C7 would be tremendous.

Though I doubt even a decontented track pack could weigh less than the 3100 lb C6Z06. Too many safety regs, and the need to avoid the GGT means it has to have displacement on demand, which necessitates a heavier flywheel, valved exhaust, etc....