Z06 or Challenger Hellcat? | FerrariChat

Z06 or Challenger Hellcat?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by twist-a-grip, Mar 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    I just sold my fun daily driver and need placeholder for a few months while I wait for my GT3RS. Was thinking about a manual Z06, but when I build it up to my liking I get to $105k while the manual Hellcat is $65k. I can get either at sticker, so I was hoping for some real world experience as to whether or not the Z06 is really $40k more FUN! I will not be tracking or drag racing, but going to the grocery store and Home Depot. Given the Hellcat seems to be selling for over sticker some places, it seems like it might be a little easier on the wallet when it comes time to dump it, which is also a factor.

2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    No seat time in either, but the z06 is 40k better looking in my opinion!

3. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Apples and oranges-both would be fun!

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Either would be fun but so different only you can decide.

On a side note, I always get a kick out of the "what do I want" threads. Hell if I know what you want. Honey Badger don't care, here.

5. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I would go Hellcat as it seems like a fun crazy car..

6. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Funny,,, I did a similar same thing ~4 months ago. I sold the my Cali , I ordered a new Cali and picked up a loaded '14 vette for the "interim, to hold me off". Big fail on my part. I thought what the hey, what could I lose?... Now it is up for sale for $5K less than I bought it (not including the tax loss) & I got no buyers (timing I suppose?) Even worse I didn't even get to really drive it (~1k miles). So now I'm thinking this may be an $8- 10k hit , which by the way would have paid for the Xpel that I want to put on the new Cali...
    Be careful, imo, if money matters..
    A

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Z06.. No question. Hellcat is a boat.

8. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Bought Z07 yesterday - DD and track toy. I know I'll take a bigger hit on the Z06, but I think I'll have more fun with it. Thanks for the input.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Dont like the vette?

10. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    1.5 carbon cupholders?

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

You have aGT3 Rs comming, the vette is a similar performance type car. I woudl geta hellcat or even a 392 Challeger and keep it, that way you have two very different rides.

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    How is the z? What color?
    And some pics too please

13. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I have the Challenger Hellcat along with a ZR1. I bought the Hellcat because I wanted the engine and new 8 speed tranny. Also I knew I could use it as a daily driver. Comfortable, big trunk, etc. It is fun and exciting to drive on the street where I drive. Price is incredible for what you get. I almost ordered the new Z06 with 707 package but decided to wait as I did not like the reports from guys tracking it and saying the EPC cuts power after a few laps to protect the engine. I will wait for them to sort this out. The Vette is a completely different animal from the Hellcat. I will buy the Z06 one day but will keep the Hellcat. Great car for $65K if you can find one. BTW, as much as I like the new Z06 I am keeping my 2010 ZR1. That car is unbelievable in every way. Destined to be a classic IMO.

14. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I doubt the Charger (or Challenger) Hellcat will have 10% of the production life span that the new Z06 will have so....in a "collectors frame of mind" that is something too consider. 4-doors/700HP makes for one fun "grocery getter".

I want one and I have not said that about a Dodge since their classic muscle cars.

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    dodge announced today that they are not taking anymore orders for hellcat due to excess demand. 50% more vs what they anticipated. hoping to ramp up production but no new orders until late summer at soonest. so I would expect premiums on any cars in dealer stock

16. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    wings - you are wrong with the statement you made about the ECU pulling power at the track. Many well respected individuals have posted their results from tracking over on the other forum. The only time reduced power was brought up to the best of my knowledge was when Nineball did a roll race in his Viper and beat the new Z. Everyone was clamoring for excuses. Now that results are coming in a new thread was even started about how no one talks about it anymore. Some still say wait till summer. But as it stands right now, if you can drive really good and not abuse your equipment (meaning be able to know what gear you should be in vs what you are in thus adding stress to any engine) then things seem to be going well. Here is a posts from those individuals discussing this:
    Did heat soak issue go away? - Corvette Forum

17. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    Hellcat is a unique offering, there will always be a hot new Vette. As mentioned by a previous poster is will be very different from your new car, so why not try it.

A big car with too much horsepower-true Americana. Use the saving to buy more tires and burn a lot of rubber : )

18. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    #18 V-TWELVE, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Got email from gm today saying next gen camaro coming very soon. Had audio clip that sounded.very good. Hope its well under 3500 lbs

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    But....the Z28 is track focused, does not have 4-doors and if you want A/C and a radio they cost extra. 505HP vs 707HP for the same price is a no brainer in this fools opinion.

21. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Challenger Hellcat is a two door, Charger is four. IMO the Z/28 is the better package and I'm a Mopar guy. The Z/28 is a track focused package not just a big engine.

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes I know and would love to have that dilemma.

23. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    #23 V-TWELVE, Mar 17, 2015
    Dodge seems to have the powertrain down, it's time to address the styling. That car should never ever have been based on the 300 platform. It sits like a Durango. I have an original Challenger and I was so excited when the new ones came out, but then I was behind one in my Audi, the Challengers rear valance was at my eye level and I remember thinking what the hell? Dodge is getting behind in the design department compared to GM and Ford. Ford just up'ed the anti.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    #24 V-TWELVE, Mar 17, 2015
  25. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan