Z06,...Putting the HP to the ground | FerrariChat

Z06,...Putting the HP to the ground

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by KENCO, Oct 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Every time I get on my C5 Z06, I light the hell out of my tires, even running through the gears. I know the tires are not new, but better than the rubber on my TR or Diablo, and those do not break out like the Z06 does.

Are the Italian designed cars better for this (it seems so)? Engine in the back, almost direct drive units?

I get gobs of power out of my Ferrari and Lambo, but they seem to put the power to the ground a lot better, not that I couldn't smoke em up on the F or L car............!

2. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 8 SNAKE, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
    Is it not more a question of torque than hp (speculating that your Z has more torque than your Italians)?

3. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Good point. I just looked up the torque specs.........

Z06 - 385
    TR - 354
    Diablo - 428

So.............I do not think the torque has to much to do with it, maybe the gearing?

4. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's interesting. How do the torque curves compare? Do the Italians make their peak torque much higher in the RPM band than the Z?

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Combination of torque, gearing, inertia and weight distribution IMO.

6. Orbitz007

Orbitz007 Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    Maybe the Z06 was never intended to go forward?

7. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Notice those big 12's sitting right above the rear tires? Put some scales under the rear tires of all three. I think you'd be suprised at what you'll find.

Darrell.

8. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    The OEM C5 ZO6 tires were kinda crappy Good Year Supercars. Toss on some better rubber, or some drag radials and you will be much better off. One of my cars puts almost 400 to the wheels and with warm drag radials I can dead hook.

9. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    One of my bud's has a new Vette and we both were amazed how easy it lit 'em up all the time . .. he just replaced the tires and it's night and day with the same type he rolled off the floor with . . . he was on a waiting list so this car did not sit on the showroom floor FWIW ... he's not a hardcore driver but he's convinced the factory tires were a different compound 'cause it lit 'em up like crazy from day one . . now it hooks up and is scarey almost :)

cheers

10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Tire compounds can make a huge difference no question.

While I don't know the F/R weight ratio of the ZO6, I do know that a balanced F/R ratio has more to do with overall handeling than 0-60 times.

If you just want to do 0-60 times you want more weight on the rear (driving tires) with gobs of tourqe.

All you need to do is look at the evolution of Dragsters. Sepcifically top fuel/rails. Once the engine got behind the driver and more wieght was put (transfered) on the rear tires the times and speeds went off the charts.

Even pro-stock and funny cars are practially mid engine cars.

11. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    +1 radials are the way to go if you dont mind driving them in rain. If not Look at some PS2's.

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think it has something to do w aerodynamics as well

My C6 Z is very slippery but doesnt make a lot of downforce, something I will be addressing w a new rear valence, new GTR hood & a carbon fiber front splitter

I think its just a Vette thing as my C3, C4, & C6 can all break traction and fishtail very easily

The F40 can also do this though

btw although the Diablo has more torque than the C5Z it also probably weighs more

13. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    +1 The Diablo is a fat pig!

So everyone thinks I should get some new tires? And throw some weight in the back?

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No, unless the tires are really low, new tires wont address that issue

if it really bothers you and you want to keep the car I would suggest some adjustble race shocks that would let you fine tune the suspension

15. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I wouldn't have believed it unless I experienced in my buddy's Vette . . same tire as factory and way more hook up . .. we theorized Chevy didn't want guys busting the tranny as they pulled off the lot so maybe had some special tires with extra mold release :).

Do not add weight .. unless it's downforce!!!

16. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    The car has an adjustable suspension, do these work? I think I will set it for competitive driving when I drive home today, get on it a bit and see if it helps.

17. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Are they run-flat tires? We have both a 1995 ZR-1 and a 2004 Z06. The ZR-1 will spin the rear wheels much more readily than the Z06...I put Micheline Pilot Sports on the ZR-1 at about 20,000 miles and that seems to have improved it a lot.

18. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    You know...............I am not sure, I do not think so. Is there a marking or a name that will tell if they are on the tire?

19. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    The c5 Z06 came from the factory with run flats. They are not the best tires out there for sure. A switch to Mich pilot sports will improve the traction and overall performance a great bit.

Darrell.

20. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The C5 Z did not come from the factory with run craps... It has Goodyear Supercar's and instead of run flats it came with a small compressor and a can of "fix a flat" in the back of the trunk in a small plastic case...

The problem is that as the Goodyears wear down they get harder and after about 3/4 of the tire is worn they are really bad. Note too that they don't like it cool and are even worse if god forbid it is wet....

Get a new set of stickier tires and you will be fine.... Just realize that the C5Z has about as much power as the rear tires can handle. With new stock tires, if you are on it hard near the top of second gear it will break the rear tires loose even if you are pointed straight ahead, so there isn't any margin for tire degredation over time...

21. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I just checked, mine are Goodyear F1 super cars

22. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    False, get some good meats on there. Like I said before. If you want a overall tire get PS2's, if you more into drag racing get some drag radials from Nitto, BFG, or Mickey Thompson.

23. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My cousin had the exact same thing on his C5Z and so did I with my modified C3. New tires was a night and day difference. I don't remember what he bought but I got General UXPs for mine that I like.