Zandvoort 2020? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Zandvoort 2020?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jun 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Remember very late 90s when they tried to slow the cars down by giving grooved tyres and reducing aero....now they gave a ****ton more aero and much wider tyres, LOL. AND more power.

FIA:rolleyes:

2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Actually, not very much has changed at Brands over the years with regards to the houses in close proximity. There are more and more densely packed but otherwise they were there even before the Grand Prix loop was built as you can see in this photo from even before the Druids hairpin was added, let alone the Grand Prix extension. Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

H
    I happen to know the real reason Bernie wouldn't put his GP at Brands Hatch

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Good, can you share it with us ? Or where you sworn to secrecy ?

Knowing Bernie Ecclestone, it probably has something to do with money!

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There are a lot more houses all around the circuit there than when it was extended.
    I understand that some of the land was sold by the circuit owner of the time in the 80s.

6. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Something like that.

Oddly for this scenario money was not the main factor !

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Tell us more. On Ferrarichat we like a good gossip !!

I's long time ago anyway ...

8. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Nope.

Monaco is a Grade 1 licence circuit. All the classic tracks don't comply with the new track design rules. Improvements in safety around the circuit, small circuit design tweaks as suggested by FIA and improved pitlane areas (and lots of money) is what keeps all the older circuits Grade 1. Monaco does have run-off areas. The only special dispensation they get is they host the race for free and the race is only 260km in length.

Noise pollution is a local council/county/government requirement and F1 gets exemptions to all races, that's part of the contract with FOM/Liberty.

The Modern F1 championship can only be held at Grade 1 tracks and Brands Hatch currently has a Grade 2 licence, that's the only reason they can't host it there. Zandvoort has spent millions of dollars to get it to Grade 1 recently.

Formula E only requires Grade 3E which is why the Monaco layout is smaller for FE.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

william likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    As far as I know, even if Brands Hatch was to satisfy the FIA regulations and obtain a Grade 2 licence, it still wouldn't be able to host a F1 GP.

The local Council has an agreement with MotorSport Vision (the circuit owner) not hold 3-day events at the track, on top of a limited calendar.
    Most racing held at Brands is one or 2-days event maximum. A GP is a 3-day event.
    A local Council can go to court to enforce a local by-law, and I don't think MotorSport Vision wants to take the risk of a long legal battle.

I am afraid that the previous circuit owners were very stupid to sell adjacent pièces of land suitable for housing.

Bas likes this.
  10. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    News just came in that the deal is done, Zandvoort GP back after 35 years in may 2020.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/3576277/zandvoort-heeft-formule-1-nu-echt-binnen

"In May 2020, Max Verstappen will race for his own audience on the Zandvoort circuit. The long-awaited deal with the management of the royal class of motorsport is now really complete. The news about the return to Zandvoort had been in the air for a long time, but all details and formalities have now been settled. A delegation from the Dutch car circuit was present in Barcelona last weekend, where the fifth Grand Prix of the season was held, to hold the final talks. The three-year agreement, plus two more option years if Zandvoort decides to go ahead, will be revealed and signed one of these days (before the Jumbo Racing Days this coming weekend). In May 2020, Max Verstappen raced for his own audience on the Zandvoort circuit. The long-awaited deal with the management of the royal class of motorsport is now really complete. The news about the return to Zandvoort had been in the air for a long time, but all details and formalities have now been settled. A delegation from the Dutch car circuit was present in Barcelona last weekend, where the fifth Grand Prix of the season was held, to hold the final talks. The three-year agreement, plus two more option years if Zandvoort decides to go ahead, will be revealed and signed one of these days (before the Jumbo Racing Days this coming weekend). Zandvoort is the second "newcomer" on the 2020 calendar after Vietnam. The Dutch race will also be the first European race of the year, as Barcelona is likely to disappear. The exact date is not yet certain and the race is expected to be known as the Heineken Dutch Grand Prix. Necessary adjustments must be made to the circuit, including the Gerlach curve, Hugenholtz curve and Arie Luyendijk curve."

11. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    As already mentioned Zandvoort needs a big upgrape to get it even close to GP spec.

Track width, stands, pit-boxen and pit area, parking lot's, basically everything. I very much doubt they will improve it all.

Seems to me that the choice for Zandvoort is more of a commercial choice than anyhting else.

12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Yes. Agreed. And Monaco gets it's Grade 1 License because of.....money.

The £££ being spent in town over GP week is quite something. A cup of plenty for all participants involved.

13. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

The 3 day event can easily be swerved, as per Monaco tactics. Free Practice on a Thursday.

I agree that selling adjacent land to a circuit isn't the best move for a circuit owner :D

Bas likes this.
  14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Correct. As with everything with F1.
    They can always trot out their black book of rhetoric when the $$$ consideration doesn't suit them.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would go to this.

Is Dutch food more like German food or French food?

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Dutch food, frankly, is ****ing awful. That's why they don't have any restaurants serving it :D:D:D But our ''foreign'' restaurants are really great. Massive variety. Can't go wrong with indonesian. Not many restaurants in Zandvoort but neighbouring Haarlem has tons of restaurants, and yet to eat at a bad one there.

My best friends family owns a fantastic restaurant in Zandvoort called MMX, but frankly, I think the chance of getting a table there on the GP weekend is simply impossible. Or anywhere in Zandvoort will be absolutely impossible to get a table.

19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Great news. Let's be honest, the race at the Catalunia circuit has been boring for years.

Looking forward to go to the race in Zandvoort next year!

20. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Chase Carey on Dutch GP 2020: "Three reasons. One - We have an incredible history in Zandvoort and we have raced here 35 years ago. Two- Passion and Excitement in Holland. The heart and the passion is second to none. There is just a love for the sport that exists here."

"Three - We are thrilled to bring a new race to Europe, Its not a new race because we have raced here 35 years ago but for the new generation its new. Europe is our home and our foundation."

"We haven't finalized the calendar for another month or two. It will be around this time of the year pre-Monaco as we head into Europe". Basically confirming the Barcelona spot.

We race in 21 countries and each country has there own identity and we want to be in cities that capture the imagination... We call it destination cities. Zandvoort is a place we are incredibly proud to put a race on this. Heineken were important to put this together.

FIA's Jean Todt confirms circuit works at Zandvoort: There is now a lot of preparation needed to bring the circuit up to the required safety standards to host a Formula 1 race, and we will work towards this together with #F1, KNAF – the Dutch ASN – and the circuit organisation.”

Asked about changes to the circuit: The start finish line will be brought forward.... And the guy starts talking Dutch. So, no idea.

The pitlane will be modified. The paddock facilities will be extended by three units. And pit building will also be tweaked.

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

You're not helping! :)

Bas and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's closer to German food to answer your original question. But so much proper variety with our own spin on it, you'll be hard pressed to find something bad to eat.

Looks like I'll have to find a sofa to sleep on; AirBNB's sold out. Hotels sold out. Everything, sold out. I have lots of contacts but they're all talking about renting out their appartments for ridiculous sums and spend a weekend at their parents/friends houses:p:D

Flavio_C likes this.
  24. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Besides my house in Zeeland we also own one in Haarlem: I know where we will stay that weekend!! Going to Zandvoort by bike. Sooo Dutch:)

Flavio_C and Bas like this.
  25. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Not much wrong with it, same category as English and German food.