Zymol Wax or Glaze | FerrariChat

Zymol Wax or Glaze

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2012-458, Jul 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2012-458

2012-458 Karting

Nov 10, 2015
    I have a black 458 and am wondering what a good product would be to wax the car.

I'm debating between:

Zymol 'Wax Carbon'
    vs
    Zymol 'Glaze Ital'

What are the differences between the 2 products. Is one better than the other?

2. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    None. The more you wax a black car, the more swirl marks you will cause. Just wash the car and forget about waxing it.

3. Nex

Nex Rookie

Apr 13, 2014
    +1
    Or use a sealant like cquartz finest or opticoat so you don't have to wax.
    A cheaper alternative would be to use a spray on sealant like Hydro2. Lasts a few months rather than years but you don't have to touch the paint.
    Having owned multiple black cars in the past, I've learned that the less you touch the paint the better.
    Now if you MUST wax, there really is no answer to "which wax is better". My answer is always. Use the wax that is easiest for YOU to use.
    My vote goes for P21S. Easy on, easy off. No white residue!!!! A very important factor for waxing black cars.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    use carbon
    waxes don't cause swirls, the way its applied does.

the wax vs glaze is relatively new in their marketing - I doubt there is much difference between the 2. ive used hd clense, 3m imperial hand glaze, and zymol ital. for 20 years and I don't care what anyone says its a great recipe for getting deep bright colors

5. martiy1971

martiy1971 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Robert Martineau
    sorry, but totally incorrect. You need to use proper polish, wax, polishing cloths and / op DA polisher

6. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I know you asked about wax, but I wanted to ask if you have considered having a detailer apply one of those new coatings that protect better tan wax? My detailer applied multiple coats of Gyeon Q2 Mohs coating on my Speciale and my Stradale. I'm sure there are many products that are as good (maybe even better)...an experienced detailer can provide more details and advise. I've never seen anything like it. Looks like my paint is liquid glass. No swirls. Just perfection. The downside is that it costs more than wax, but IMHO it's worth it :)

of2worlds likes this.
  7. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    OK wise one. Black is tough to wax without getting swirls that become readily apparent in sunlight. Do you own a black car?

8. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    That's why, after having owned 2 black cars, I will never own another again! The amount of care that goes into doing anything on the paint surface kills the joy. Swirls...live with them or avoid them. Those with manhood bigger than mine that try to 'conquer' swirls, be ready to be humbled by them!

9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Turtle Wax makes a wax specifically for black cars. Available on Amazon for about 20 bucks. Have not tried it myself but am considering it for my black model X. Very difficult to keep the car clean

10. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    The more you wash, dry and wax your car, the more scratches will accumulate.

Consider looking into getting a professional detail with a ceramic type coating. We did that for our white 458. Waxing not necessary now.

I bought a de-ionizer. Got if from Costco on advice of detailer previously mentioned. Best money I've spent lately. You can wash a black car in direct sunlight and not dry it without spots. We have a new black Kia so I know first hand.

11. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    For the record, I have owned one black car in my lifetime. There will not be another.

Hocakes likes this.
  12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    :D

13. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    I have a Nero Daytona 458. For some reason, it really shows dust. I think the gold metallic flakes reflect light and illuminate the dust from below. I'm not into washing/ waxing and caressing my car though. I just drive it and blow the dust off it that way.

I put some wax on the front bumper, as I get many bug strikes. I thought wax might help keep the bugs from sticking. The wax didn't seem to make much difference.

Black may be too much trouble for some, but there is nothing more badazz than a black ferrari. The best and most beautiful color of them all.

14. martiy1971

martiy1971 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Robert Martineau
    Have had many, as well as other darker shades and I've done the same 3 stage paint correction on all of my vehicles. If you are getting swirls, you are doing something incorrectly, simple as that. All swirls and correction are done in the clear coat and not the base coat; the darker the base coat the more the paint imperfections will show through.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so did you ever use zymol? impressions?

16. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've used Zymol carbon on my Maserati GT (nero carbonio). I'm not impressed. In fact, I think I'm done with wax. I will use all ceramic type coatings going forward - they last much, much longer.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes for protection thats for sure. for aesthetics nothing looks like a carnuba.

18. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    When I used this, I did not notice any increase shine over the bare paint.

19. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Agreed. I’m done with wax, there are many great SiO2 based products that offer great protection and shine with minimal application effort such as Sonax Spray N Seal or CarPro Reload.

20. Rob D.

Rob D. Rookie

Jan 27, 2008
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This has been my experience as well, and over the years I've tried just about every category of paint enhancement and protection product on my black and red cars. I have changed up some of my potions and steps over the years, but one thing hasn't changed--I always come back to high-quality carnauba for the top layer.

For those who find special joy in not having to wax their cars, and don't mind paying exorbitant prices, the newer quartz coatings are "OK." Their shine can not achieve the richness or warmth of a good carnauba, though, especially on red or dark colors.

If you don't wish to do your own paint care, perhaps consider finding a good local detailer (ask FCA members or a trusted mechanic for recommendations, read reviews, etc.) and bring it in once/year for correction and carnauba. Your car will aways look stunning and it'll cost a fraction of the price of quartz coatings. And as correctly stated above by @martiy1971, "If you are getting swirls, you are doing something incorrectly," so no worries about swirls. No good detailer is going to make new swirls or fail to correct existing ones.

Just my $.02 based on (too many) years of experience.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Glossy non metallic black is a very difficult paint color to work with for all the reasons mentioned.
    Nero Daytona is a bit more forgiving due to the metallic flake. I also believe that it may be a little stronger paint and resist stone chips better than the glossy non metallic black. I don’t have a protective film on my Nero Daytona 458 spider, and don’t have hardly any chips. My prior non metallic red and black cars seem to accumulate significantly more paint chips

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    All this waxing stuff has become old hat now - no longer required. Just paint prep and PPF it. Set, forget, use and enjoy!

23. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I was told that if you have a protective coating you must use a silicon-based product otherwise the coating will turn yellow. Not sure if that applies to all coatings (XPEL, etc, etc).

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    agree but i wldnt put pff on an f40 so zymol is a must
    new cars i agree, ppf and forget

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the stuff from 10 yrs ago def yellowed. the new stuff isnt supposed to but id plan on replacing ppf every few years.