Aldo Brovarone interview in Octane mag | FerrariChat

Aldo Brovarone interview in Octane mag

Discussion in '206/246' started by dgt, Feb 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Octane Feb 2013 issue has an interview with Aldo Brovarone, it's a good article and there's a great 2 page photo of him in a red E-series.
    He's quoted as saying "The Dino 206 is perhaps my greatest achievement".
    I think many here would be in agreement...

2. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Funny, but I don't see a Dino, ANY Dino (206/246GT/246GTS/308GT4) in his entry on Wikipedia. And, yes, I know you can't always trust Wikipedia - but you'd think there would be some mention of taking credit for designing the Dino, given the rest of the stuff that is attributed to him, or that he takes credit for.

Aldo Brovarone

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Aldo Brovarone (born June 24, 1926)[1] is the former chief stylist for Pininfarina and designed the following cars:
    Abarth Monotipo [2]
    Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 Sport
    Barchetta Dedica [3]
    Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 [2]
    Ferrari 365 GTC/4
    Ferrari 365P Berlinetta Speciale[2]
    Lancia Gamma
    Peugeot 604
    Porsche S82 Spyder [2]

[edit] References

1.^ "Also Brovarne". Conceptcars.it. Archived from the original on 30 December 2010. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
    2.^ a b c d "1965 Ferrari 365P Berlinetta Speciale". European Car. February 2009.
    3.^ "Barchetta Dedica".

3. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #3 furmano, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure if he did the 206 Dino but the 365P Berlinetta Speciale is pretty Dino'ish and was likely the inspiration for the 206.

-F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    "Dino Berlinetta Speciale" should be in that list for a start, seems to be lacking.
    At least the 365P is there.
    If you want to read up, try J.P. Gabriel "Dino GT" (p170) or Matthias' book (p20).

5. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    1965 Dino Berlinetta Speciale -> 1st prototype of what became the 206 road car.
    1966 365P

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I Have seen this car driving along the quite country roads of Essex many years ago.

It sounds as good as it looks. V12

7. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#7 dinogts, Feb 13, 2013
    Leonardo Fioravanti has been credited with designing the Dino, and was honored in part for that at Concorso Italiano in 2010.

From Wikipedia:

Leonardo Fioravanti (born 1938) is an Italian automobile designer and CEO of Fioravanti Srl.

He studied mechanical engineering at the Politecnico di Milano, specializing in aerodynamics and car body design. He worked twenty-four years with Pininfarina, joining as a stylist in 1964, aged 26, and eventually becoming Managing Director and General Manager of Pininfarina's research arm, Pininfarina Studi & Ricerche. Before founding Fioravanti Srl in 1991 he held the positions of deputy General Manager at Ferrari and the director's role at the Centro Stile Alfa Romeo.

Fioravanti designed the: Ferrari Dino; Ferrari Daytona; Ferrari F40; Ferrari P5 and P6; Ferrari Pinin; Ferrari 512 Berlinetta Boxer; Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 (the forerunner of the Ferrari 400); Ferrari 308 GTB; Ferrari 288 GTO; and the Fiat 130.

His two sons, Matteo, an architect, and Luca, an attorney, have also worked with him at Fioravanti Srl.

On January 16, 2009 Leonardo Fioravanti was elected Chairman of ANFIA Car Coachbuilders Group for a 3-year mandate from 2009 to 2011.

8. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I believe that is incorrect. He may have been working for PF at the time of the Dino but I don't think he contributed much to the design. His first car for Ferrari was the Daytona.

-F

9. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Please read the references in post#4 and the octane article to understand who designed/influenced/refined the various prototypes and road cars, of which there are many and a number of designers, often collaborating.

In particular, the Dino Berlinetta Speciale that Brovarone designed and was shown in 1965 was radical and genius, in my opinion.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/257352-dino-berlinetta-speciale.html
    That first prototype had many of the design elements that made it to the road car.

10. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  12. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #13 dgt, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    Matthias had this to say previously regarding the designers:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141554690-post15.html
    (smiley is actually the title of the thread...)

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Dino Berlinetta Speciale design?
    There's not alot written about it here compared to the competizione, which admittedly gets out more.

13. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Aldo Brovarone drew the Dino Berlinetta Speciale, but his first drawings had been very different to the car presented 1965 in Paris. Sergio Pininfarina and Renzo Carli request a lot of changes...
    Leonardo Fioranvanti became responsible for the Dino project in 1966/67 and influenced the final prototypes and the production car.
    Aldo Brovarone also worked on the GTS changes with Leonardo Fioranvanti being responsible as the account manger for Ferrari and being very close to Enzo Ferrari.

The Dino is a Pininfarina design and not the design of a single designer....
    It was a much different time than today.....
    Key was Sergio Pininfarina initiating the Dino project to convince Enzo Ferrari to build a mid engine sports car for the road.....

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    As the saying goes, "Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan"!

15. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#16 dinogts, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    Yes, but still . . . "Leonardo Fioranvanti became responsible for the Dino project in 1966/67 and influenced the final prototypes and the production car."

So, in the end, it seems that the person most closely linked to the production car is Mr. Fioranvanti.

16. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    We're talking about different designs here. In the beginning vs. in the end ...
    I'm more interested in the beginning which is the subject of the octane article (did you read it?) and I hoped would be the subject matter for this thread.

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#18 dinogts, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    I haven't read it, but I did read your original posting and the specific quote you provided from Aldo Brovarone:

"The Dino 206 is perhaps my greatest achievement," a pretty bold claim which doesn't line up very well with other evidence. According to Matthias, Mr. Brovarone worked with Mr. Fioravanti actually towards the end - after the Dino prototypes and the production of the Dino started - on the modifications needed to produce the last variant, namely the 246 GTS.

The broader point is that the "The Dino is a Pininfarina design and not the design of a single designer."

But maybe I am biased, a little, since I met Leonardo Fioravanti at Concorso Italiano where he was honored for the Dino, alomg with several other designs, and where I and several other Dino owners discussed the design of the 206/246 with him.

18. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Not true.

19. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#20 dinogts, Feb 18, 2013
  20. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I will check out the Octane article. I am a huge fan of Fioravanti but the rounded shapes of the Dino didn't seem like his style. He was more inclined to creases and wedges. Perhaps Napolis could shed some light on this.

-F

21. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#22 dinogts, Feb 18, 2013
    You should try his shampoo! You'll become an even bigger fan!! ;)

22. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was trying to avoid it but here is a passage from the article as it relates to the Dino, for those of you who don't have it:

"And of all the designs retrospectively accredited to Brovarone, the one that had the most prolonged gestation period was the Dino 206. 'My original ideas were more radical,' he insists. 'In 1965 I did the one-off Dino Berlinetta Speciale, which in turn led to the production car. I wanted a more wedge shaped profile, which is how I designed it, but it was later changed by Leonardo Fioravanti - who remains a dear friend. When I first came up with the design, I thought it was going to be a Ferrari so I gave it recognisable aspects you would expect such as an oval grill and so on. I didn't know it would become a separate brand. But then Enzo Ferrari said it had to have it's own design language, which naturally gave me more freedom to express my ideas, so I pushed even further. I'm still proud of my involvement. It is perhaps my greatest achievement."

Note that Mr. Brovarone refers to "it", being the first Dino prototype which ultimately became the road car. The editor pulled out this and put a large quote at the top of the page: "I'm still proud of my involvement. The Dino 206 is perhaps my greatest achievement". The "Dino 206" refers to the prototype he drew, sorry if I was ambiguous on this earlier.

My reason for pulling that quote was this: He chose the Dino over all the other designs he worked on such as the 365P etc.

I'd like to draw your attention to p27 of Matthias' book. The first drawing Mr. Brovarone did was a stunning design. Although I love the Dino Berlinetta Speciale, I wish Pininfarina had made this in production. I would only change the treatment of the rear lights.

I recommend getting the Octane article, it has pictures also.

23. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

As per dgt, the design you like then is in fact Fioravanti's curvier and more rounded design, rather than Brovarone's "more wedge shaped profile," not that there is anything much wrong with a wedge, just look at the Lancia Stratos (but just remember to put on your darkest sunglasses when look at a 308 GT4). ;)

24. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Hahah .... so true. A few more recent examples come to mind, i'm sure you know what I mean. :)