Lucas 6RA headlamp relay | FerrariChat

Lucas 6RA headlamp relay

Discussion in '206/246' started by snowsports1, Dec 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi does anyone have a spare or a source for this item please?

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The 6RA is not the number you are after. There are 2 other numbers one is a stamping and another the relay number (5 digits if I remember well). Check out Jaguar breakers as most of the relays transfer to earlier Jags.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  4. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks tony but wrong one, the headlamp relay needs a w4 terminal, I am thinking about buying the modern equivalent and wiring it out of view leaving the correct relay for show only

5. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The Lucas headlight relay just failed in Euro Dino 05216. I need to find a replacement for this relay. Does anyone have suggestions on what a correct replacement would be and where to find one? In my search on FChat it seems the Lucas versions are no longer available. The version that failed has 3 one spade connectors on 3 corners and one L-shaped double connector on the 4th corner. In the middle is a single connector for the black [ground?].

Any ideas? Unfortunately I don't have the car in my possession. After 8 years in my care just today I watched her being loaded onto a trailer going to a new home. [A story for another thread]. But I want to find the relay for the new owner as I felt terrible having this electrical issue happen just before handing over a gorgeous and Platinum winning Dino. I want to get this fixed for him.

6. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I just had this problem and was unable to locate a replacement. May people offered suggestions / jaguar relays etc but none worked, I got round it with a cheap modern relay hidden behind the fuse board. Old one left as a dummy. Has worked perfectly since, if you want the relay reference I will dig it out

7. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    If it's not too much of a problem yes I would like to have the info on what you used as a replacement.

8. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    They were very common on British cars of the period, and originals shouldn't be hard to find. 6RA is just a general type; you'll need the relay number as well. Check eBay, but also any of the following: Holden Classic Car Parts (Vintage car parts Classic car parts Lucas car parts & Belstaff Jackets from Holden Vintage & Classic in the UK), Sports and Classics Inc. (gallery.sportsandclassics.com), Anglo Parts (www.angloparts.com). Sports and Classics in particular has (or at least used to have) a huge stash of OEM Lucas parts that they bought out from a dealer a while back.

9. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thanks for the lead Mark [no pun intended]. I will check it out.

10. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Good luck I tried all them as well! In reality it's not easy

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Understood. That is why I plan to follow both paths......a modern replacement as well as a original Lucas.

12. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Ok i will post the reference number once I get back, if you find the correct 6ra relay let me know as I would like one as well!

13. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Headlights do not work. Lucas relay 33231 F has burnt out. Does anyone know where I can find one. Or any suggestions.

Thanks so much.

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Might be able to source it more close to home from moss motors.

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Scott.........Ray [Schwoo] and I are working on the same relay search. He just took possession of the Euro GTS after it being in my care for the past 8 years. And I want to make sure this gets fixed for him.

If I knew how to merge the threads I would.

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ask a moderator!! hit the little "!" in the top of the post and ask them to merge them.

D

19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Merged.

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you.
    You make that look so easy! :)

21. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I need one too....

22. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi, as promised here is the modern version of the dino headlamp relay, it is small and compact so I wired it, heat shrunk the whole unit and tucked it neatly out of sight behind the fuse board. The old relay was retained with dummy wires so completely original to look at. Lucas SRB521 28RA relay 12 volt 2 x 20A

23. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #23 snowsports1, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Why not trying to rebuild a broken 33231? You could either rebuild it using the original components (even a relay coil could be rewound), or install two automotive micro relays or the guts of a SRB521 in the original enclosure.

If anyone wants to send me his broken 33231 i could rebuild it and do pictures to document the work required.

25. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I tried this incredibly fiddly, and gave up. I bought a similar relay to swop the coil. Again no success!