any1 know approx how many 246 GTS came with chairs but no flares? | FerrariChat

any1 know approx how many 246 GTS came with chairs but no flares?

Discussion in '206/246' started by ttforcefed, Jan 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Based on current cars, it seems almost all cars came "with chairs" and many with "flares", because they have Campy type wheels.....

��

In all reality, very few cars had both options. They were separate options.

3. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    #3 Jezter70, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    interesting that chairs and flares car are worth more money? maybe the flares secretly add 80 extra hp?

5. dinogtss

dinogtss Karting

Jul 14, 2013
    Hi

my car rhd 1973 had chairs but no flairs and campy wheels have maranello order docs to back it up

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    where did u get the docs? can I get them from FNA?

7. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    This is not correct. You could not get flares without the chairs, if you ordered the flares it was an option that was packaged only with the daytona seats (chairs) not a stand alone option.... on the other hand you could get the chairs (daytona seats) as a stand alone option. There are many fake "flares" out there people have modified the cars, so if you have seen cars with the wider wheel arches but no daytona seats these are after market modified cars. It is common to have fake flares out there because of the higher market prices of these cars.
    In terms of how many cars came just with chairs and no flares I don't know but fairly common.
    Bottom line if you are buying a chairs and flares car make sure to get documentation that it came that way from the factory,

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    NYC123,

With all due respect, your statement is incorrect. Both options were stand alone options and did not require the other option to be chosen.

I do agree about using caution when "looking for" an original chairs car that has the original flared wheel arch option.

The simple fact that when restoring a car, these are very easy to "recreate", often times to enhance the perceived value of the car, should make any one proceed with caution. Needless to say, far more cars exist today with flares and far more cars exist today with chairs than ever left the factory.

Even better is when someone adds just the Campy wheels and calls it a "Flares" optioned car.

Caveat Emptor.

Shawn

9. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    So true! This reminds me of the joke about a sixties-era big-block Corvette: "Of the 4,000 produced, only 7,000 remain!" Fred

10. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    #10 NYC123, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    I disagree about that fact. Please show me 1 original dino with flares but no chairs . You can find this information online as well if you search.
    Of course like anybody else I certainly can be wrong but don't think so in this case. I own a chairs and flares dino and researched this before I bought it and am fairly certain this is what I learned from many reliable sources online, etc.

11. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    yes just like a porsche 72 RS they made under 2,000 but there are 5,000 listed in porsche clubs across Europe !

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I am not saying that it was common not to see the two together, but Ferrari didn't have any "rule" regarding it.

Think back into the early 70's, there were quite a few Dino's not even sold new until they were a couple of years old. Do you think, if a car was being ordered, that a potential buyer would simply be told they couldn't do the flares if they didn't buy the chairs?

13. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    I am talking talking about what I think or don't think I am simply stating what all the documents from Ferrari state as well as various dino info sources. All the ones I found state clearly that yes you could NOT order just flares , if you wanted flares you had to take the chairs. Again, of course like anybody I could be wrong however can you please post a source that shows otherwise or a car that has flares and no chairs...
    (I hope you don't take this as an argument I simply would like to clarify the fact for more own knowledge since I own one)
    thanks....
    (and of course they are great cars regardless of the options)

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I have never seen ANY Ferrari or Dino documents that state this.

I don't believe they exist.

I don't know how I can post a picture disproving a fact that I don't believe to exist

15. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    As Shawn said, many Dinos were not sold right away. I remember seeing ads in the Sunday New York "Times" for new Dinos that appeared to be leftovers. That being said, back before it was commonplace to order an imported car, Italian or otherwise, and unlike the days of bespoke Ferraris built for the likes of King Leopold of Belgium and director Roberto Rosellini, does anyone know if Dinos could even be ordered specially from the factory? After all, they were "almost" a Ferrari. Furthermore, back then, Ferrari dealers like Wide World of Cars stocked new Ferraris, and prospective buyers could walk into a showroom and negotiate a purchase. In particular, a neighbor of mine bought a new 328 from Gaston Andre' in 1986, with no order involved, and received a small discount off MSRP. That leads me to believe that either the dealers specced cars according to their tastes, or took whatever Ferrari gave them, as was the case with Corvettes way back when. I think the modern era of every car being ordered for a specific client started with Luca Cordero, and his desire not to over-produce, both diluting the brand and leaving unsold cars clogging dealer inventories. Fred

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

Fred,

The bulk of Dino's were sold off of the floor. It was possible to special order, it was just very uncommon. This is how we now see the paint colors that were out of range.

Shawn

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #17 isuk, Jan 23, 2015
    Dinos could be, and were, ordered from the factory to specific customer request. I have the order paperwork for one of my cars - 03050 - placing the order with Maranello Concessionaires for it's unusual colour combination and they attached copies of the colour swatch and Dino brochure to it to ensure that the factory knew the exact colour combination requested.

The Dino Compendium cover the chairs and flares issue on page 311 and categorically states that the two options were not linked meaning either could be ordered individually or together. I'm sure Matthias will chime in when he sees this thread.

18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    yes it was possible to order a Dino with flares but without Daytona seats (chairs)
    out of my head I remember #06548, because I used to own this car (the car has flares and standard vinyl nero 161 seats originally)
    yes, the two options were not linked meaning either could be ordered individually
    only flares and 7,5" Campagnolo rims were linked (one option package), it wasn`t possible to order flares with standard Cromodora rims....

19. dinogtss

dinogtss Karting

Jul 14, 2013
    Hi All

i have all the correspondence with marranello concessionaires from the original owner when he purchased the car and a list of extras offered clearly stating what was ordered with the car it states daytona seats and compagnolo wheels it has been confirmed but marranello concessionaires archives as they still hold the original documents

20. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    looks like maybe I stand corrected... I am still skeptical as I have never seen or heard of one but anything is certainly possible. So how many of these exist cars with flares and no chairs ? I have never seen one listed in any dino registry.

21. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The Dino Register is not always accurate. From a quick look through records I have the following UK cars appear to have had the flares and Campagnolo wheels but not Daytona seats -

07316 - 07336 - 07526 - 07528 - 07562 - 07586

There are others but perhaps Matthias can check his records on some of these cars to confirm how accurate the register info is.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    now im really more confused as to why chairs and flares command any sort of premium...seems to be pretty random

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  24. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #24 synchro, Jan 23, 2015
    +1
    This is how my Dino was sold by Chinetti, flares and chairs was a package on a single line item,
    a copy of the Chinetti paperwork here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/137779671-post2.html

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The paperwork shows both options, but they are listed separately. There isn't any indication I see that shows it as a "package"

Shawn