95 B De-sticky | FerrariChat

95 B De-sticky

Discussion in '348/355' started by INTMD8, Dec 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #1 INTMD8, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, no reason to delay. Time to attack all these gooey sticky parts.

I moved my 4runner into the back garage so I had some more space to work.

Removed the window switches, door handles, door triangles?, steering column surround, ash tray/hvac/switches.

I was pretty nervous about the vents in the dash but they came out no problem. I used a screwdriver to pry down the retaining tab from inside the vent and hooked the outer bezel with a 90deg pick to pull the top of the vent out away from the dash. A little wiggling and they were free.

I also removed the lower rear window trim as that was gooey as well. Several 7mm nuts (I just used a 1/4in ratchet and short 7mm socket) and off they came.

HVAC panel/knobs and rear window trim are stripped. So far I'm using Greased Lightning and an SOS pad. I have to say it's not fun!

I think others have used oven cleaner and other solvents so I may give those a try as well. I don't think the vents will be enjoyable.

Anyway, here's a few pics and I'll post more as I make progress.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Aren't you concerned about the white lettering?

Sent via itty bitty electrons

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The white lettering on what part? I have a new overlay for the hvac panel from Ricambi.

I plan to have someone local make me the arrow stickers for the dash vents.

4. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Good call Jeff! I forgot to remove those. Not sure if the vents themselves are sticky but there are little square pieces on them that are. (screw covers maybe?).

6. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  7. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #7 jimmym, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    Jim, there have quite a few threads on this.

The Ultimate "Sticky interior fix" experiment - FerrariChat.com

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/391833-diy-sticky-interior-repair-using-degreaser-elbow-grease.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/319220-355-dash-leather-sticky-parts-refurb.html

After reading some of these threads there seems to be a lot of different approaches.
    Greased Lightening, denatured alcohol, Charlie's Soap Indoor/Outdoor Surface Cleaner, Superclean Degreaser, Meguiar's All purpose cleaner, brake fluid, Simichrome metal polish, Ultrasonic cleaner with Brulin 815 GD, Dap TSP(tridsodium phosphate-then wax grease remover), Leatherique cleaner.

As far as coatings some have used PlastiKote, SEM, paint sealer on the clean plastic, Mother's Back to Black, Rustoleum Textured plastic, Plasti dip, Alsa (Socal-Tim), Duplicolor, Krylon, VHT, Testors. If you read some of the threads some people just removed the coating and put a product like Mother's Back to Black on the plastic.

It was Daverocks thread that got me thinking about the different approaches to de-sticky an interior and what paint could be used. Hope this helps.

8. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A couple of paints that I forgot that might also work. Wurth, Rustoleum Automotive Enamel. Color Bond paint from BAVAUTO. Meguiar's Rich Leather Conditioner might have been used on just the plastic, but I am not totally sure.

9. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #9 285ferrari, Dec 28, 2014
  10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

The stickers just look awful sorry, Id rather leave it blank then to have stickers on the vents.

you have a 50/50 chance to figure it out haha

11. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Ok, I'm confused - - - You would rather leave the vents blank then to replace the stickers?

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Jimmy, quite a few options I know! So far I think the greased lightning doesn't work that fast. I'm getting through the parts but it's taking a lot of scrubbing. Since I'm using steel wool the parts will have to be painted afterwords as they are all scuffed. I may try some alcohol next or maybe kerosene. Kerosene is nice on undercoating because it doesn't dry so fast so you have a bit of time to work with it.

I suppose I'll buy a bunch of different paints and test them. I've liked SEM products in the past. Definitely want something with a satin finish and not much gloss.

Robbie, yes, just like that :) I suppose I could leave them without the arrows but certainly looks more original with them.

13. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Jim, I think on one of those threads someone used Simichrome to remove the scratches. One person used a lacquer thinner I believe, stated it worked well but left a residue. Bobzdar (Pete) found a small Ultrasonic Cleaner on Dave rocks thread. Dave used an Ultrasonic cleaner which worked well.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #14 johnk..., Dec 28, 2014
    I had to do the steering column surround on my car. I used acetone to clean the sticky. Worked well, dampen paper towel with acetone and wipe. The only problem was that acetone evaporated rather fast and I used a lot of paper towels.

15. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Here is the link Pete had posted for the Ultrasonics.

Ultrasonic Cleaner xps120- 3L

Dave used Brulin 815GD 301007-07. He stated that it took no effort to remove the old coating. Dave's Ultrasonic machine was significantly more expensive than the one Pete posted.

16. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    John, that steering column came out nice. Did you put a finish on it afterward or is that how it came out after removing the sticky material?

17. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    That's what I'm saying just refinish and ditch the sticker.

If you silk screen it back on I'd be all over it.

But that's just me, nothing against your product bro. As most people have no problem with it.

If I could get a place to cut them out for me in stencil form.
    Transfer paper on them place them on the vent and paint it on with airbrush.

18. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie

I have never encountered any customer who does not want the original look.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I painted it.

20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #20 INTMD8, Dec 28, 2014
    Jimmy, I think ultrasonic sounds pretty good right about now because this is taking me forever. I have everything cleaned except the two outer vents. Need to buy some bottle brushes or something as the toothbrush doesn't fit inside to clean the slats.

John, nice job on the column. I've seen some pics where people just leave the raw plastic but I prefer the painted look.

Worked on this stuff for about 8 hours today. I think I have almost 2 hours just in the center vent trying to clean everything inside it. Still...making progress! :)

21. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I hope not. but stickers are hardly original. Again this is my opinion that's all I'm saying I don't like the stickers. The arrows were not stickers on a original part. Its silkscreen
    Keep doing what you do and sell your product.

22. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
  23. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
  24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #24 INTMD8, Jan 1, 2015
    Well I finally had the time to finish up all of the parts. I had a bit of trouble on the upper column cover and ash tray (paint lifted) which required stripping the paint off (not fun).

I used SEM trim black on the rear window trims and the door 'triangles' and SEM color coat on the rest, including the dash vents as I didn't like the look of them in bare plastic.

Also on the drivers side dash vent, the white line pulled off when I removed the masking tape from the wheel so I had to repaint that.

As for the switches, I just stripped them with brake cleaner on a microfiber towel and then left them bare plastic.

Just waiting for the Gliptone leather cleaner/conditioner to arrive so I can clean everything up before re-assembling.

25. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looks nice Jim. How did you find the SEM match, was it close to OEM?