2nd Scuderia track day done without a hiccup! | FerrariChat

2nd Scuderia track day done without a hiccup!

Discussion in '360/430' started by singletrack, Jun 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #1 singletrack, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Amazing day at Pitt Race yesterday. I am getting much more comfortable with the car. Running MPSS 245/295 and the optimal hot temp truly is 32-34. ~36+ and they start to lose traction and get greasy. Thanks again F430GT for all the great info - it has all been extremely accurate.

Here is a little video of a 2013 Viper GTS following me at Pitt Race. He was taking another driver for a ride; I am solo. Met him after this session and was a great guy. Look forward to lapping with him again soon.

I had to pit towards the end of the video because my tires were up to 38PSI in the front and that meant reduced breaking and grip. It was about 87F air temp also, and very humid. I was experimenting in turn 10/11 (wide hairpin at end of back straight) which is why you see so many different lines. I think the double apex is the fastest - was hitting over 140 (indicated) at the end of the front straight with that exit. I could be faster in 9 if I get over onto the rumble, but was avoiding it. Turn 7 is also interesting. I think there is a faster setup there if you stay more toward the middle of the track. That is a substantial elevation drop.

I didn't realize, but the owners of Pitt Race also have ownership in VIR. They are not messing around either and appear to be dumping money into Pitt Race to make it first class. Very exciting time.

Hope you enjoy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IjgMXAhyd4]Session 2 Lapping w Ferrari - YouTube[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Great post. Nice to see another owner driving his car as intended. I have MPSS's and run them at the suggested 30/32 cold (32/34 hot) pressures. Those pressures seem counter intuitive but they are accurate.

3. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks!

Yup - ~32/33 hot was the best feel out there. Also, the MPSS get a lot more stable after you have shaved off some rubber. F430GT also mentioned this and it is very accurate.

I bled out around 16PSI of air from the tires during the 3 sessions. I started at 32 PSI or so semi-hot. Crazy! I had to add air 2 times at home over 3 hours as the car cooled down.

Running 32 cold on the street minimum which gets to around ~36/34 - need pothole protection here in Pittsburgh ; )

4. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looks like a great day out at the track. I'm headed to Road Atlanta tomorrow for my first track day in the scud. Temperatures are expected to be over 90°F -- hope she deals well with it. Will also need to keep a close eye on tire temps as it's going to be sunny and the tarmac will be crazy hot.

The track day is organized by MVP and they typically have a professional photographer on site, so I'm hoping to get some good "in action" shots. I'll share 'em if so.

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Awesome! Have fun tomorrow! Yah I have some pro photos coming from this session as well.

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    very cool, we knew you would enjoy that car more than the average owner!

It is interesting about those MPSS likely low hot PSI. IIRC (haven't had the CS on the track in over a year) the RE-11 likes 40+ PSI hot...interesting how different they are...

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Haha! I feel very fortunate to have the flexibility to pursue my passion right now.

Yah I know very little about tire tech. Went off of what F430GT said and also shot an email to Michelin. Michelin said 32 PSI as well. Similar experience in my M3 as well - once you get into the upper 30s PSI the tires get greasy and braking distance goes up. I love the MPSS - they are very communicative which helps at my current ability level.

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great shots! Did you hire this guy just to take photos of your car?

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks! I agree!

Yes I did. He was hanging and shooting cars on my last track day. Got to talking and the rest is history as they say. Leaving for downtown shoot here in a few mins actually. Should be fun!

10. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    First track day in my scud on the books! Had an awesome time at Road Atlanta. The scud was amazing. The acceleration, the braking, the corning -- all fantastic! Got up to 155 mph on the back straight. What a machine! No hiccups or other issues. Can't say the same for a certain CTSV that ended up on its roof in Turn 1.

11. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Nice pics. Glad you guys are enjoying your Scuds!

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Dayuuuum - that is moving man! Sounds awesome. I definitely want to get to Road Atlanta in the next few years.

That sucks about the CTS-V. There were two major offs in the morning session before me (rotor explosion; suspension collapse), and multiple offs in my group as well as guys searched for the limits of their cars.

FYI - I managed to get my Scud to start on 4 cylinders again today. It is 100% from missing the first firing of the engine. Sounded like the starter missed and did not engage. Then started and it was on 4 cylinders with the air pump running. Just stopped and started it and was gtg. That is the only bug I'm aware of with this car. I've also had it stall one time in my garage on first start up. Minor issues.

How did your pads hold up? I think I may have overheated the fronts last time out...

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the support man!

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    FYI - Matt keeps adding photos to the link above. We did a photoshoot in a bunch of places in Pittsburgh today. Some really interesting photos are being added. Was a great time.

15. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The pads held up great and the brakes were phenomenal. If I had more guts, I could have gone deeper/faster at the end of the long straight. Then again, I wanted to make sure I didn't end up in the pebbles!

I should have pics next week. I can share hem here, or start a new thread if you prefer.

16. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Good to hear...lovely pics too.

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That is great to hear.

I know what you mean! I missed the front braking zone by a good margin on one lap when I was trying to go faster...which made me slower : P

Whatever is cool man on the pics - look forward to seeing them!

Thanks man! He just added a bunch more with some old railroad architecture. There are also more coming from PPG place, which has been featured in a few movies and is really an architectural icon of Pittsburgh. I don't facebook, but he is on there also:

https://www.facebook.com/MatthewLittlePhotography

18. Sasha4

Sasha4 Rookie

Jul 1, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    A Ford
    I remember doing hot laps at BeaveRun back in 2005 at a Viper Days event. Great little track. I remember lining up for that blind curve (turn 7) and then the instructors advice concerning turn 9 and staying into it otherwise -meet the wall. I had no idea it changed ownership.

Thanks for the great memory

Cheers

Sasha

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #20 singletrack, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Scud comes back next week from MAG.

See http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/458896-first-failure-my-430-scuderia-gearbox-cover-gasket.html for more info.

Downtime let's me fine tune the M3 and get it back in the track rotation. Best times were with MPSS at 32PSI hot...as soon as they cracked 34 they got greasy. 39PSI and it looked like I was doing my best impression of Tiff Needell.

...thought the track fans might appreciate ; )

Scud heads back to track on 10/25!

Later!

Pic at Pitt Race yesterday - coming out of turn 2, into 3:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login