So this what it feels like! | FerrariChat

So this what it feels like!

Discussion in '360/430' started by FerRrari, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    After dreaming of owning a Ferrari since I was a kid, yesterday I finally achieved it! I am the proud new owner of a 2003 360 Spider 5K miles. 3 pedals, Rosso Corsa/Nero, red stitching, carbon seats and lots of other options. I saw the car on sale here on FChat and was disappointed when I missed out, then a few days later it came up for sale again. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the car hadn't been serviced for 8 years (it traveled 800 miles during the time period), but after encouragement from other owners I took the plunge. MAG did the PPI and the car came out almost flawless (convertible top window is a bit scratched and needs tires + belt service). I haven't even seen the car in person yet, I'm flying to Columbus next week to pick it up after it gets serviced and will drive across the country to Seattle! I will put half the miles it had in it's 11 years of existence in just a few days 😁

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

2. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Awesome! Glad you found the car you wanted in the Buckeye State! Was this a private sale, or a sale from a dealer?

3. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
  4. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Yes Voicey

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Nice! Hopefully you will treat her right!

6. Speed doc

Speed doc Rookie

Aug 23, 2014
    GA
    Congrats. I just got mine too. Its like christmas moring very day when I look in the garage!! Enjoy her in good health.

7. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Congrats!!

Nothing like a long haul drive after just purchasing a car!

8. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Hope such a little used car will stand up to a cross country trip. That's 5,000 miles in 11 years!!!! Not sure I would risk it.
    Alan

9. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just a bit of advice along with the belts I would get an oil change and brake bleed.

10. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks, all fluids will be flushed, they're doing a "major" service, not just the belts.

11. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    Subscribed!

12. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +1

I hate to be a spoil sport but you don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with a broken down Ferrari. Would probably cost $1K or less to ship it on an enclosed trailer. Then you can let it break down close to home in Seattle.

Mechanical things that sit have problems. I've seen it too many times. Once you get this car sorted I'm sure it will be wonderful to own.

Good luck.

13. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    If I were concerned about the cost of shipping a car cross-country I wouldn't have bought a Ferrari in the first place. For me it's about the experience, a great opportunity to share the car with my brother who will be coming with me.

14. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think you misread my post.

15. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Congrats on your new car and realizing a dream. Enjoy!

16. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

Hey Jason,

Sorry I didn't misread your post, rather my response was not fully formed (I tend to be short in my comms). What I meant to say was that I normally would avoid low mileage cars which don't have a strong service history. This was my initial reaction to the car. But after having the car inspected by an authorized dealer and being told it is mechanically sound, I decided it was worth pursuing given how the car is a prefect spec to me. I did plan on shipping it to SEA, it would cost ~$2K (not many shippers come up this way), however my 19 year old brother asked me to do this road trip. While I think we could have done a similar trip at a later point when the car has established a proven reliability record, my guess is that our schedules would likely not coincide again. Given these factors I decided it was worth the risk. The trip will cost me around $2K not including the additional wear and tear on the car, so I wasn't a financial decision to me.

17. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks for all the warm wishes. I'm truly ecstatic! My next Fcar will be either a 288 GTO or a 275 GTB long nose. 😊

18. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Congratulations. Good decision on the road trip with your brother. You will always talk about the experience.

19. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Good luck with your trip.

Keep an eye on any oil leaking out the bottom of the engine (at the gearbox end). I would wager your RMS is dried up like a prune - if it is then when it starts to get used again it'll let oil past.

20. 9650max

9650max Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2011
    Beautiful car and enjoy your trip, should be a great experience. You can miss a lot of life worrying about what may or may not happen.

21. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    Sounds like a fun trip. Enjoy the car!

22. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I, for one, will be very interested to read how the OP's trip is with regard to the mechanical nature of his car. I am hopeful that it will be enjoyable and uneventful. However, I do have some concerns with the age and dormancy of this car. I do hope the OP will follow up with a report to this community about the trip and the car.

If it were me, personally, I probably wouldn't do that drive in that specific car. I'd have it shipped to me, and then I'd build up a confidence in its capabilities and condition before I set out on such an adventure...
    ...but that's just me...

MAG did my PPI too, and they missed a few significant things...

23. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    I'm also very interested in hearing how the adventure goes, but I think the risk here is mainly inconvenience and some incremental cost. It's not like he's planning on driving the car through the jungles of Brazil.

So, say he had an issue between point "a" and "b". He gets the car towed, calls a transport company and then flies home. Time and some money, but not a huge difference from just shipping the car home to begin with. Plus like he said, he's meeting his brother which is a nice benefit.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about road hazards (including the other humans out there) and weather on a long trip - but that's a risk whether driving a Ferrari or a Toyota Camry.

I wish the OP the best in his adventure and hope he has some great memories from it.

24. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Care to share what they missed? PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks!

25. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Mine was a garage queen too. I had a slight weeping from the underside of the oil aerator top lines and the two short hoses were a bit on the stiff side. This I noticed after I started putting some miles on the car and driving it regularly. All else has been normal (knock on wood). I replaced the two lines but could have just as easily crimped the hose clamp a little tighter.

I could have used Napa Auto parts and worm clamps for $3.50 too but no way Jose! I ordered Italian replacement parts and new tools to get the crimp right! Yeah, I turned that $3.50 into $350.00 real quick! ;-)

If you haven't completed your PPI yet:

Make sure and have someone knowledgeable check and provide pictures the alternator cable positive end at the alternator connection too. From what I understand there were different versions of the cable and some styles had precious little insulation around the crimp end and were not optimal.

Missed in my PPI :-(