Considering the move from 8 cylinder to 12 cylinders | FerrariChat

Considering the move from 8 cylinder to 12 cylinders

Discussion in '612/599' started by PATLEW, Mar 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    I have owned 3 rear engine Ferraris, 89 Mondial Cab t, 2001 360 spider, and 2006 430 coupe, I am thinking of moving into a 599. How do they compare exp. wise. I am going to test drive one soon so maybe that will change my mind either way. Thanks in advance for any comments.

2. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    I guess I will have to make my own opinions once I test drive one.

3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    It wil be a bit like growing up, but stiil loads of fun

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I test drove a 599 just coming out of a F430 spider that I had for a year coming out of a 360 spider. The two most impressive aspects to hit me immediately were A) The difference in comfort and B) you run out of road really, really fast. I only spent maybe 20 minutes in one, so an actual 599 owner would of course have more to say. As a 612 owner, I can tell you that the visceral feeling you get from the mids is muted somewhat in the front engines. Driving the 12's is a more laid back experience with less engine noise rather than the teeth gritting excitement of the 8cyls.

5. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Different missions really.

I like the driving dynamics, comfort, practicality, and visibility offered by front-engined cars on the road, whilst the more intense mid-engined cars are more preferable on the track.

Think of a mid-engined 8-cyllinder as a short-range fighter, whilst the front-engined 12-cyllinder models are more of a long-range interceptor.

6. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I was able to drive a 599 around a small track for a few laps and I liked it. It's a really big and heavy car for sure but nice power. It was also more comfortable which is nice when you just want to drive to dinner or on longer trips. If you could have both a 430 and a 599 you would be very happy.

7. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Thanks for the comments I cant wait to drive one hopefully next week if I have some time to go to the dealership.

8. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    ^ Judging by your location are you going to FCI? I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and can't remember them having any V12's in stock at the time aside from an FF. From what I hear, though, that should be loads of fun to drive.

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just sayin', 612 has 540hp with more usable space, handles beautifully and I happen to know where one just went up for sale near you.

10. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I was just at FCI this past Monday.

They had a Limited Edition 2011 Ferrari 599 60th anniversary Fernando Alonso Edition.

And there was also an FF.

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think the first thing you are going to nice is the immense mid range torque and the epic top end fury of the 599, the way that V12 hauls the car along is truly something to behold. As other have said its a heavier car than a 430, I'd suggest try finding a HGTE as it has some nice to have upgrades over a standard 599.

Good luck with the test drive!

12. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    I stopped in Charlotte today they are going to bring the one they have in Greensboro down for me this weekend. I am looking forward to driving it.

13. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Yeah they definitely look great in person but four seat means the whole family and I have to drive respectfully!

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My dealer tells me back when they were just coming out, they were billed as the gentleman's ferrari. Truth though is the car has twice the cojones of a 360.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  16. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Big difference as has been noted is that all the 12s have low and mid speed torque so that you do not have to spool them up as much as the 8s to get them going. This makes for more leisurely driving but a bit muted relatively speaking.