Howdy | FerrariChat

Howdy

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by I.T. Guy, Feb 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hiya everyone!

I've lurked in the 360/430 section for years and went to buy my first one Friday. Surprisingly, it wasn't what I thought it would be. At first I was devastated. Then the super-smart salesman saw the look on my face and said "If you don't instantly fall in love with the car it is not the right car for you. You are not buying a car, you are falling in love with it." He then whisked me away to look at the GT's.

I fell in love instantly.

So this is my first post in the California section, my first time even clicking in here. What have I been missing all these years!

I am now going on a thread reading binge to get myself up to speed, so I can hunt for my California. I know it's out there.

2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Welcome aboard bud! Lots of great info here. BTW I am also in IT :)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

3. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    And I'm in IT (after 32 years in military as well, not IT there). I was on the hunt for a 430 spider when the Midwestern Auto Group salesman said "Why not a California?" I said I've seen the photos and don't like them. He said, Look over there at that one. I about crapped my shorts, what a beautiful car. I asked him if he would start it, he said he would start it, take me for a spin, then let me drive it back. Two months later I got an allocation! Some months later my first of three brand new Californias showed up and I've been in love ever since.

Welcome to the group and good luck finding your car.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I also wanted a 6-speed F430 Spider at one time. When I went to check one out, my initial beef was the dated interiors and then I discovered a couple more things that didn't suit me once I actually started driving the car. I have pretty good car senses and amongst other things, I knew at once that car could only work as a very occasional driver, with shorter trips. As your salesman said, you notice these things very quickly, possibly because the cars are so different from normal experience and because they are big purchases. The Calis are much more versatile and fully up to date in relevant technology. Be careful of comments from motor industry journalists, some of them are OK but most of them say stupid things because they are trying to look cool or hardcore ...or they have boneheaded ideas of car ownership, especially since they have no skin in the game.

Your salesman has to really know how to drive these cars or you won't experience what the car was designed to do and it may just feel like a nice-sounding fast sports car. The difference is between someone who just drives to work at an exotic car dealership and someone who takes these cars out to country roads or tracks and really work them.

Multiple long test drives (at least twice in the same car if you're interested to buy it) are the key but you also need to know which model year suits your interests, budget and needs. In all situations make sure you have at least 1 year of Ferrari warranty to run the car through its "proper paces" so you can flush out any warranty issues without paying to fix them. Even "complete" service records are not necessarily true representations as unscrupulous sellers can easily have repairs done without paperwork.

You must have the car PPI'd and the local Ferrari dealer can do a pre-warranty inspection for about CAD 750 so you can use the same service because if the dealer and Ferrari are willing to sell extended warranty for the car, it means they don't see any big issues. Ask for a full report and use that inspection as a condition of sale and since that inspection is needed for a factory warranty maybe also work any needed extended warranty coverage into your buying process.

IMO, Calis are unique and there are no other cars in Ferrari's entire history (or any other car maker's history for that matter) that deliver the same level of versatile pleasure of the California models. Good luck!

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Welcome to Cali World, Jason! You've come to the right place. In no way could I have made an informed purchase decision without what I learned from this forum and particularly this sub-forum. The Cali as 4th said is unique in Ferrari history. For some that's good, for others, not so much. I'll echo what others have said - try it out in different scenarios - GT style driving with the family, carving up the back roads alone, stuck in a traffic jam, top up, top down. I've enjoyed it in all those circumstances. If there's a nice tunnel in your neck of the woods, blast through that with the top down and the revs up. If that doesn't get you amped, then the Cali ain't for you! Good luck, amigo.
    T

6. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thank you!
    I feel at home here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    IT guy as well. I shopped for a California T for about 6 months. Made several offers and purchased one. We don't have a dealer in MN.

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im another guy that wasnt looking at the California, yet ended up buying one.

They are really great cars.

9. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I am anxiously waiting to pick mine up. This will be my 4th Ferrari, and second new one. I began with a 550, still wish I had that one, but then moved to a 430, great car, but I wanted more creature comforts, so went with a new 458, absolute great car, but still a little to stiff and more of a go kart for what I want, it was fun on short drives or driving aggressively, but I had it at our second home and it was not at all what I wanted to daily use. Now I am on to the Cali T, more comfortable than the 458/488 but has more than enough go and sound when needed. I am very much looking forward to owning this car. Good luck in the search. In my opinion the search is as fun as ownership! And I am not in IT :D

10. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason

Spot on.
    The 430 is an event car.
    The California is an anytime car.

11. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason

As Tomc pm'd me, they are Ferrari's best kept secret. I agree. I can't believe I didn't know or think about them until the Ferrari salesman asked what I wanted in a car, then said "here try this". So versatile.

12. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason

Exactly.
    I want it to drive to the office every day.
    Drive to Niagara on the lake with the wife.
    Drive to the lake house with the family (two small kids).
    It can do all that.
    The 430/458 I can get as a second car to track or something.

13. F1CALI

F1CALI Karting

Sep 22, 2016
    Sydney
    Welcome
    Happy hunting for one.
    Awesome car that the family can enjoy.
    Its great feeling to take them out with roof open, roar of the F V8
    Kids just giggle and say leave it in sports dad

Wife - slow down
    Is this what type of examples you like setting to them
    Lol
    Even when only doing 40km

14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Same story ... had an F430 Berlinetta for my first, loved it but really more of an event car, not very practical day to day. California can be an enjoyable cruise with the wife or your own personal amusement park on the back roads. Plus, in grigio titanio, it is much more under the radar than the red F430.

15. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    #15 THE RED MENACE, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    ^^^^
    My 550 and 458 were GT. My favorite color by far but I wanted something off the wall and I kept seeing a white Cali T at the golf course and loved it so I went with white. If/when I get the new 812 superfast it will be GT. GT is a great color and just amazing in the sun.

16. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Actually I tell everyone that the FF is Ferrari's best kept secret, but considering it now the Cali is better in all aspects except two, carrying my model airplanes and the V12 sound :D

17. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  19. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice thank you. The car is 500km away. I will have to go sit in it...

20. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I drove a 2012!
    Very nice.

My first ever Ferrari drive.
    Hooked.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Welcome to the madness! Seal the deal.
    T

22. fahlmanb

fahlmanb Karting

May 14, 2014
    Mount Pleasant, MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Fahlman
    Like many others, I had planned on moving from my 360 to an F430 until I drove the California. I just got my certified 2010 from Cauley last week & couldn't be happier! It is a true modern Ferrari with ample power and engine note that rivals the Tubi I had on my 360. I think its lines are simply beautiful & can't believe how much negative press there has been re its looks...[​IMG]

23. F1CALI

F1CALI Karting

Sep 22, 2016
    Sydney

Awesome
    Enjoy in good health.

Welcome and great looking Cali.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Congrats, Brad. Looks like classic red over beige. Very tasty! If you spend enough time on F-chat you'll realize that there is no F-car immune from criticism. At least one person has a problem with every model, from the most humble to the halo cars. Enjoy your Cali.
    T

25. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    That is a stunning photo of a stunning car.
    Congratulations!