Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Andrew Day
What happens when you arrive at factory in your Ferrari?

Hi Folks

I'm planning a trip to Italy in our F355 in October, which will include passing through Modena/Maranello. What, if anything, happens if you rock up at the factory in your Ferrari? Do you just get to see the factory gates, or do you get any kind of VIP treatment with a quick tour, or do you have to pre-book a regular tour like anyone else (if they do tours for the public at all that is)? Should contact them in advance? - Basically, what's the deal, if any?

Also, I understand that the Italians treat Ferrari owners well as they worship the cars, but do they also attract unwanted attention? Is theft of such cars a problem there? My car is LHD, so it is perhaps more tempting than if it were RHD, which is a worry. My car has a 'Tracker' fitted, but I'm not paying the (steep) subscription as I live on the Isle of Wight, but I'll probably re-subscribe. I could take my RHD Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, but when going to Italy it would be a crime not to take the Fezza surely?

Thanks

Andrew

Last edited by Skiday; 03-30-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
When we went there on the Mondial Euro Tour 2016, they let us park the Mondials inside the gates in front of the factory.
Alden

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Bubba
Definitely book your tour in advance.

Do you know your closest Factory dealer?
They are the ones to do it....

Have a great journey...
Old 03-30-2017, 06:18 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Paul
Do a search for "factory tour", there are several very informative threads on this subject.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Three Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: DesertDawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiday View Post
What, if anything, happens if you rock up at the factory in your Ferrari?
They take it in on trade.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden View Post
When we went there on the Mondial Euro Tour 2016, they let us park the Mondials inside the gates in front of the factory.
Alden

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPk3oRdUV4&t=154s

Go to 1:22 of the video above, and thats exactly what happened when harry Metcalfe arrived (in a Ferrari) at the Factory to collect a brand new 599 SA Aperta, i.e. they said "park here on the other side of the barrier (in a good way)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:14 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Pics here, post #8 on!
Mondial Euro Trip 2016
Alden
Old 03-30-2017, 09:05 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

No tours for the public. Owners only! I think you need to be at least 16 as well (so if you have kids, you'll need to leave them behind).

I did the tour 4 or 5 years ago. From what I recall (it may have changed), you have to jump through a few hoops (register on owner website and prove ownership of <any> Ferrari) and then you book the tour through your nearest dealer. It's very much worth it though! Just don't leave any of this to the last minute...get out in front of it.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-31-2017, 01:50 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Malc
Factory tour

As Douglas360 says.
You can often book through the owners club too. I booked mine several years ago through Maranellos Egham.

Never been in my Ferrari
Old 03-31-2017, 06:10 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Hi Folks

I'm planning a trip to Italy in our F355 in October, which will include passing through Modena/Maranello. What, if anything, happens if you rock up at the factory in your Ferrari? Do you just get to see the factory gates, or do you get any kind of VIP treatment with a quick tour, or do you have to pre-book a regular tour like anyone else (if they do tours for the public at all that is)? Should contact them in advance? - Basically, what's the deal, if any?

Also, I understand that the Italians treat Ferrari owners well as they worship the cars, but do they also attract unwanted attention? Is theft of such cars a problem there? My car is LHD, so it is perhaps more tempting than if it were RHD, which is a worry. My car has a 'Tracker' fitted, but I'm not paying the (steep) subscription as I live on the Isle of Wight, but I'll probably re-subscribe. I could take my RHD Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, but when going to Italy it would be a crime not to take the Fezza surely?

Thanks

Andrew
You need to book factory tour in advance.

No problem with theft whatsoever, Emilia Romagna is safe. The only thing I would avoid, if you go to Bologna, is to park in the streets near "social centres" or places where there is a high concentration of college communists. ;-D
Old 03-31-2017, 11:54 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Phill J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkay View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPk3oRdUV4&t=154s

Go to 1:22 of the video above, and thats exactly what happened when harry Metcalfe arrived (in a Ferrari) at the Factory to collect a brand new 599 SA Aperta, i.e. they said "park here on the other side of the barrier (in a good way)
He didn't just turn up out the blue, completely unannounced as the OP is suggesting doing though did he? - He was on an arranged visit to pick up a brand new car from the factory, so naturally they let him inside the factory gates.

No disrespect to the OP, but I suspect that if you're Joe Bloggs ordinary member of the public, who's only claim to fame is owning a 20+ year old standard production Ferrari, and you rock up to the Ferrari factory out the blue saying: "I'm a Ferrari owner so can I come in and have a tour of the plant?", they're going to politely inform you that if you haven't got a pre-booked tour they can't let you in.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:57 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Tom Spiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rePhill View Post
He didn't just turn up out the blue, completely unannounced as the OP is suggesting doing though did he? - He was on an arranged visit to pick up a brand new car from the factory, so naturally they let him inside the factory gates.

No disrespect to the OP, but I suspect that if you're Joe Bloggs ordinary member of the public, who's only claim to fame is owning a 20+ year old standard production Ferrari, and you rock up to the Ferrari factory out the blue saying: "I'm a Ferrari owner so can I come in and have a tour of the plant?", they're going to politely inform you that if you haven't got a pre-booked tour they can't let you in.
100% agree. Ferrari barely care about their high dollar customers ...
Old 03-31-2017, 01:06 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Curt
If I did it in Bellissima they would tell me to please move the old POS before we have it towed.. it's blocking the pedestrian walkway.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:51 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:

Thanks

Andrew
In the current socioeconomic climate, to "most" Italians the man behind the wheel of a Ferrari is presumed a tax-avoiding crook. So no.

A couple years ago, a friend's Testarossa had its window smashed in and was looted sitting in the parking lot at Planet, which is just adjacent to the factory gate.

Do not go to Italy in a Ferrari expecting exemptions or priviliges!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Hi Folks

Thanks

Andrew
The deal is you're not "Jimmy Page" so it doesn't rock for everyone else like you think it might.

The beginning of your 2nd paragraph reads like, "I understand Italians worship Ferrari owners"

Wear some Reeboks in case you have to walk home.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:24 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Phill J
The reality is, when it suits Ferrari they quite happily acknowledge all Ferrari owners, both the rich and the "less rich", especially when they're having a special celebration, but that's mainly because they have too - Not many rich owners own models such as the 308 GT4, the Mondial, and the 348 to name but a few.

Day to day, the owners of the modern, older cars Ferraris are of little interest to Ferrari because as a company, they don't really make any money from them. Think about it, how many 308/328/Mondial/400/348/355/360 owners use the official Ferrari dealerships for servicing and repairs?

How many of those models do Ferrari sell through their dealerships?

The thing with owning an older, modern Ferrari is that it makes you exactly that: A Ferrari owner.

What it doesn't make you, is a Ferrari customer, and for 99.9% of the time, the only people Ferrari really care about are Ferrari customers!

(And they don't always show their customers as much respect as you might think!)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-20-2017, 02:41 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Paul Chua
My Garage
Quote:
Hi Folks

Thanks

Andrew
Hi Andrew, I just had this experience and it was great. I don't know about your dealership, but mine treats me great even though I have a modest Ferrari that was not purchased from them of course. Try to establish some sort of relationship with your local dealership. My dealership has frequent owner events (i.e. Ferrari Challenge -- that require track inspection if you plan to take your car on the track) - other things like oil changes allow you to create a 'relationship' without breaking the bank.

It also goes a long way to just be a nice guy* and treat the service manager with respect and gratitude.

Once I've done this, it was just a matter of calling up the dealership and letting them know when I would be in Marenello - and they took care of the rest!

*As for "fedcoin" - don't mind him - I've already outed him as a troll

It's actually a bit cringe worthy - how pathetic do you have to be to plagiarize a research paper totally unrelated to the topic at hand to make yourself look smarter?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he has legitimate mental health concerns. Hopefully he's just a teenager in his mom's basement, God knows I've done my share of stupid things when I had a face full of pimples.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Joe
I just arranged a tour or June. Went to the dealer in Greensboro (Foreign Cars Italia). Once I explained to the receptionist why I was there the marketing manager filled out a form and sent it Ferrari. Within two days I received a confirmation. I did present the title to my 94 348 Spider as proof of ownership. Couldn't have been smoother.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:19 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

The factory tour is great and they will let you park your car in front of the old factory entrance, but there are only 3 places there, so it is possible that at this exact moment they can be full.

I suggest staying at the Maranello Residence hotel - it i s great value for money and you will have a view to the factory from your room.

Also - if you plan to buy something from the Ferrrari Store, wait until the end of the tour, because they will give you a 20% discount for the store.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:45 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrsurgeon View Post
If I did it in Bellissima they would tell me to please move the old POS before we have it towed.. it's blocking the pedestrian walkway.
Now that's funny.