Looking for 348tb in black or red | FerrariChat

Looking for 348tb in black or red

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by gated_shifter, Oct 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    currently in the market for a 348tb with preferably less than 30k miles. if anyone knows of an example for sale, i'd love to hear about it. i'm in dallas, tx, but will travel for the right car. active buyer.

Preferred color choices:
    black/black
    black/tan
    red/black

accepting of mild mods - exhaust, springs, wheels.

PM or email to rwb1106-at-gmail.com

2. janster11

janster11 Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    Chicago
  3. gated_shifter

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    thanks for the heads up. i did look at the site and the car. i'm trying to hold out for a tb, but that seems to be a nice ts. i'm curious about that interior shade of gray. i haven't seen one that dark before. just curious if it might be a re-upholstery job. if it were a tb, i'd have called already. thanks!

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    It's got more miles than you want, and not your color, so this may not be helpful...
    But, the BaT car that went up yesterday is GORGEOUS and with a fresh major.

5. gated_shifter

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    the grigio, right? i've seen that car for a little while now. it was advertised elsewhere before BaT. it's had the fenders and doors resprayed, but no real explanation why. i don't mind the exterior as much as the interior. maybe if the interior were black, but you're right, it's not quite the combo i'm looking for.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    BaT points to this one: ZFFFG35A2L0087575

1990 tb Grigio Met with crème interior

1990 Ferrari 348 Coupe | eBay

7. gated_shifter

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    considering the major was done less than 300 miles/2 months ago, the price is quite aggressive. lots of info listed in the ebay auction description. i remember seeing the car on autotrader.com before the ebay auction even started. the color combo must not be working for everyone or there are other issues. $49.9k right after a major/clutch/valves/w.pump is quite the price - assuming the color works for you.

8. gated_shifter

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
  9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I think they've had that car for awhile, plus the market has softened for a lot of 80s/90s cars. Pitch them an offer? But personally, I'd want to look at it first, in person.

I'm looking for a tb as well, but only condition 3 or 4 cars (as described by Hagerty). If you hear or see any, please let me know. Thanks.

Wanted - 348 tb or US Mondial t Coupe

10. ahirsh

ahirsh Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I had a PPI done on that car about a year ago when it was for sale in West Chester, PA. The PPI was done at Scuderia Performante. I've had a hard drive failure since then and no longer have the report, but it needed a few things that for me, put it into the "doesn't make sense financially" realm. A few things I recall: climate control wasn't functioning properly, some oil leaks in the engine bay, steering rack leaking, broken rocker arms presumably from improper jacking. There were some cosmetic issues: headliner was tearing away, driver seat bolster wear, the front lip had chunk missing, some curb rash on a couple of wheels. Also I recall those are the same tires, they had plenty of tread but were old (but the tire age could have been another car, I found that most cars I looked at needed tires including the one I finally found). Scuderia suggested that the engine should probably come out for service soon because of the leaks, and when I added everything up, I decided to pass. I was already at what I wanted to spend with the purchase price. Overall though, it was all fixable. I spoke with Anthony from Scuderia at length about the car. He said the car ran strong, handled well and sounded great with the Capristo exhaust. It just needed some TLC.

11. gated_shifter

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    great information! thanks.

i wonder if kessler has addressed any of those issues at this price? i have emailed them about 2 cars - with a few initial questions and haven't gotten a reply back on either. obviously, a call is in order if i'm interested in taking this further. i saw the wear on the seat and it looks rather abused for the mileage on the car - i don't believe a small italian dude was the main driver. i'm probably looking for a #2 car and it's never great news when someone else has looked at a car and passed. i'm really after a tb and those are hard to come by on a frequent basis. there never seems to be more than a handful available at any given time and the guys with $80k+ asking prices are smoking crack, imo.

really appreciate the information on the car! i'm in dallas, so seeing it would require some travel and that makes a 'look-see' rather expensive.

12. ahirsh

ahirsh Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    glad I could provide some info.

My guess is that because they still list the 2012 major in the description, they haven't done much to the car. I don't want to get too much into price discussions, I think that's a no-no in the classifieds, but I can tell you their ask is very close to the price we negotiated when I looked at the car last year.

My passing on it was really all about my comfort level financially. TBs are more scarce so there is a premium for that, and then I wasn't comfortable with feeling it would take several thousand dollars within a few months to give me peace of mind. It's all about how comfortable you are with taking the chance and what you're willing to spend. I was already pretty much at my top dollar and additionally I was guestimating that the car needed another ~10K to clear the back of my mind!

Another approach could be to arrange and pay for a PPI, they will take it to whomever you'd like, and then if the same items come up again, try negotiating the price down based on what it needs. I "looked" at several cars via PPI. It's not cheap but cheaper than travel to look at a car I'd want an expert to look at for me anyway. The car has some pluses for sure, but probably needs an engine out fairly soon regardless since its last was in 2012. Also, the climate control unit can be pricey. In Texas, you want to make sure the air in TB works. My AC isn't great, but I realized pretty quickly with a TS, I love to have the roof out anyway.

13. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    May I suggest that you consider a TS and have the top refinished by a body shop to a TB look. I have 2 tops for my SS, one in body color (black) and the other original. That way you get the best of both worlds. Just a thought.

14. gated_shifter

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    i had not ruled out the ts initially, but have to a great extent now. i even looked at a local 348ts in red/tan with the red roof. it looked quite nice when body colored. i guess i'm just one of those purist types that likes a manual tranny and a coupe/berlinetta body. i want the structural integrity, even though on the road we're never taxing the car enough to be an issue. the other issue, like a 911 targa, is leaking, noise, rubbing, etc. of course, most ferraris don't get driven in the rain, but i can't say that for sure. i have always driven my others cars and my current porsches in the rain. i don't mind it at all and i actually love driving in the rain - for some reason. maybe too many hours on the skidpad. to your point, i have considered it and my current choice is overwhelmingly for a tb, but i might consider a total knock-out ts for the right price. i just want that fixed roof and, to be honest, there are few days here (dallas) where you can take off the top and not get cooked by the sun. we have 6 months of summer, 1 month of something close to a fall, 3-4 months of mild winter and then 1-2 months of spring. most of my cars have sunroofs and i used to use my sunroof all the time on the east coast. here, i barely open them anymore.

15. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #15 vvassallo, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You are in TX. You have much more sun than most of the country. Having the option to open the car is great. As for structural rigidity, I can tell you that I have driven both TB and TS. No difference that I as a mere mortal can tell when the top is fastened down. Open, different story. More body flex. If you are not tracking or racing the car, do consider the option. Hell, even if you are, a roll cage will take car of that.

My car is black with crema interior. With the "TB" top, it looks great. sometimes I like the TS top because it is flat black. May it's just that the car is black that I can get away with this look.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. gated_shifter

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    very, very nice looking car. love the seats!! i agree it's easier to get away with the roof panel on a black car, but the tb panel (as you called it) certainly makes a world of difference to me and looks great on your car. why don't you just sell me your car. ;-)

17. gated_shifter

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    we have much more sun, but we also have much MORE HEAT than the rest of the country too. there are so many days where you wouldn't even consider taking the top off, even on a sunny day. it's just crazy hot! i've been here over 6 years now and i'm still trying to get used to it.

18. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Ain't that the truth. I HATE it. :(

I still wonder whether choosing a TS was the right move since I'm a track guy and I live in this heat. Working on the interior is much easier in the TS though, and I tend not to drive my nice cars in the heat of the summer anyway, so even though I'd still love to have a TB sitting next to the TS, those sunny cool winter days tilted the odds slightly in favor of the TS.

Best of luck in your search! I hope you find the exact car you want, and frankly I hope it's a TB because I'm not far from you so I'd like to get my TS together with your future TB and see how they compare back-to-back.

19. gated_shifter

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    someone who feels my pain. ;-) i agree that the one time of the year i seldom drive the 'nice' cars is summer!! we don't have covered parking at work (my biggest issue with our office location) and the sun/heat is just brutal on interior surfaces. things like leather wrapped dashes are especially at risk. even with every precaution taken, the temps inside the car can get insane. typically, i drive my beater volvo V70R wagon in the heat of the summer and throughout the year. i just don't want to expose my cars to the tremendous summer sun/heat here - at least from a weekday standpoint.

thanks - i hope i can find something in the range i'm looking for. i have lines on 2 right now that might pan out. when i get something in, we can schedule a time to meet or maybe just meet at C&C in plano - depending on where you are. i also went to italian car fest this year and that was a nice little show.

20. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    just an FYI if you're still looking...my dad just traded in his 1990 TB red/tan to lake forest sports cars...they don't have it yet but will have it listed in a couple weeks...my dad owned it since 1992 and bought it with 200 miles on the clock (also from LFSC)....its been parked in a climate controlled garage and lovingly maintained at LFSC for the past 25 years...car is bone stock, flawless (no sticky parts, still smells brand new etc.) and has 5,800 miles...not sure how they're going to price it but just thought I'd give a heads up!

21. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I recommend you research the Canadian market. More TBs than TS up there (or so is my experience), and importing a 25+ year old car into the US is relatively painless.

22. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm in Canada and I've been looking for the right 348 for a while. 348s in general are not that plentiful.

23. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have a pretty nice 91 TB. Has what you want. Everything works and Major done late April 2016.
    Was trying to sell before winter at a bargain price. approx 24k miles on it
    Over 25 years old so importing to the US is very easy plus no mouse track seat belts as this was built for the Canadian market.
    New tires, water-pump,hill bearings, all hoses, left side rad replaced, a/c blows cold.

24. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  25. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Hmm. out of 348's on autotrader (7)((Nationally)), 5 are TBs. In fact, since last April. there have been at least 7 cars at any time, most always TBs. As I was looking for(&purchased) a TS, I was surprised at the # of TBs. And that's just Autotrader.ca