$44k for a 3.2? | FerrariChat

$44k for a 3.2?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Dizengoff, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    not ambitious just unrealistic

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Its easy to ask any price.........And not get it.

3. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    that's what a pristine 3.2 would be worth in Europe...

4. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    ditto:

you can ask what you want... but will you get it?

I'm my opinion, if a car sits is for sale for a longer period, it will get burned.
    It becomes a known car in the small world of potential buyers.
    Even the car is top notch, and after setting it on a lower price; these potential buyers avoid those cars because "it's sitting too long, something should be wrong with it".

There is so much to do about "the prices are rising", we all tend to believe our nonsense.
    I think -for the Mondial - pricing is steady.

Other models: 308 - Dino GT4 have had a raise in demand and so raised prices. But I don't think the Mondial is getting any benifit of this (YET).

I think the Mondial is still "under-loved" as the 246 was. But before you all shout about the price range the 246 is in now, the car is 20yrs older than the Mondial. Perhaps/maybe the Mondial it's time will come to enter the +100K family.

Until then, let's enjoy our affordable, controversial looking, underestimated supercar.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I could use some boat floatin' :)

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Spot on. I got mine for a little less, that's why imho it was a good deal. The car was pristine, never restored, 100% original and every accessory present and accounted for.

People ask between 33.500€ and 45.000€ for a Mondial in Portugal, the average being 35.000€, or 44.000USD.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Did Mondials have ABS problems? I'm curious about this statement:

"... 3.2 and non-ABS for simplicity"

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The ABS is not known as being problematic, at least not reported as such here on FerrariChat. The parts specific to it, however, at quite expensive and/or NLA.

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm happy where things are as if the car quadrupled I'd use it differently (and I like how I use it now).

Countaches have leaped high this year... I wonder how the first person to say "pah! 200k is unrealistic" feels about that comment now. One Dino had to be the first over 60k right? There are tons of "I Remember when..."

10. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I had the ABS warning light on due to faulty wiring, sensor was perfectly OK. Cheaply and quickly solved, issue permanently fixed. I'm not aware of cronic ABS issues on Mondials, nor the 3.2 in particular.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I thought ABS was optional in 87 and standard in 88? So 86 would be unaffected. But I guess for sales purposes it might be a selling point to some. How else can you lock up the wheels and slam into an embankment. :D

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    As to the price, if the average price goes to 30K, I could see an exceptional example going to 40K. I know there are some of us that have that much in our cars. I don't think I have that much into mine yet. Maybe after my second service is done.

There are a number of us that are starting to put the money into these cars to bring them to a high level of maintenance. Time will tell.

I'm confident that Mondial will not go the way of the Dino. The 3X8 series likely will due to their iconic nature, but even they are a watered down updated version of the 2X6 series Dino.

The Mondial is a nice car, it's looks are generally appreciated by those that see it.

Some women are elegant and command respected.

Some women are incredibly beautiful.

I think the Mondial is elegant and respected.

13. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
  14. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That's just plain silly, unless it belonged to someone like Ayrton Senna.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

15. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    In the 911 world, this is pretty much what happened. Asking prices started creeping up. First it was Europe. Europeans started buying a lot of our cars and shipping them over because our prices were cheaper. Soon US prices began rising. My old 911 would be worth twice what I paid for it had I just held on to it. Also, it would actually run reliably, which is something I haven't been able to say about my stupid Ferrari.

16. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    I agree, that's exactly what seems to be happening with the Mondial now..

As a long time Porsche 911 3.2 enthusiast I'm not sure whether I could subscribe to the reliability urban myth, though....and the 3.2 is considered the most reliable of all.

17. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    No way. 911SC.

For me, the biggest irritation with Ferrari is the dollar signs people get in their eyes when I bring the car in for service. A simple $200 can't possibly be a simple $200 repair, it has to be blown up into an exaggerated $2000+ repair job that always includes stuff I don't really need. I get sick of having to go through the itemized list of parts and contesting things. It really gets old.

I guess the same thing happened with my 911. I had a failing clutch cable that my local 911 mechanic tried to turn into a $10,000 repair job. To this day I give him dirty looks every time I walk by his shop.

18. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    ...well, the key to non-irritation is access to a trusted, non-bs workshop...otherwise any classic car ownership can get really frustrating and costly.

I can't comment on Mondial build quality as I haven't owned one (yet!)...but I can repeat, the stuff that breaks on G- Model 911s is generally underestimated. I have owned a 3.2 coupe and targa for a decade now, and I can say that what is considered good Porsche parts is hardly better than the cheap (and unacceptable) Fiat parts on a Ferrari, certainly as far as my 456M is concerned...(and I'm lucky to have good workshops for both marques).

...so I'm not sure whether I am thrilled to read in Forza that the Mondial is seen by some as having Porsche build quality - haha

19. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I live in Chicago. There's no such thing. They ALL try to take you for a ride.

20. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Interesting thread.

So let me ask since I'm new to this section...

What's a condition 1, final year, red tan Fully service Mondail Cab worth?

Aside from anecdotes, are there any real examples of sales?

Anyone want to sell one to me for a great deal? :D

21. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    haha, the cleaner put a plant in front of during cleaning back in 1992 and they just recently found it back hidden behind a full grown bush in the corner :p Now they give 25% discount on the "new" price and they are looking for the sign "on sale" to put it on the windshield ;)

22. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS

Agreed. I have an '86 3.2 Carrera (my 3rd G Model) and I'm not quite sure how 911s earned their reputation for reliability. Each generation has had significant, potentially costly mechanical short-comings. Granted they are 25-30 year old cars at this point, but stuff can and does break. It's hard to believe that a Mondial could be any worse than a 911 from the same era.

2cam

23. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
  24. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Can't blame you there (says the owner of two 3.2 Coupes)! :)