Maximum gradient for new driveway | FerrariChat

Maximum gradient for new driveway

Discussion in '308/328' started by HamFan, Sep 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HamFan

HamFan Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2008
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Janne
    I am re-building my home and need help re maximum gradient for my 328 to make it into the underground car park.

Would my 328 survive:

* a gradient of 11 degrees (20%) 1:5

* a gradient of 14 degrees (25%) 1:4

The height of the underground car park will be around 2.4 metres (7 feet 10 inches)

ANY help gratefully appreciated if anyone has experience in this!

Janne

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Just remember, it's not just the 11° going into the garage, which I think it would probably be OK not scraping the nose but it's also 11° coming out of the garage and onto The street which I think you're likely to high center the car?
    Just thinking out loud..

3. HamFan

HamFan Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2008
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Janne
    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts...more to consider!!!!

4. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've often wondered how much engine wear a steep drive would induce. You aren't able to warm up in the garage and you immediately need pretty high torque to pull the car up onto street level, albeit for a very short period. When looking at properties to buy in the past, or parking a classic car overnight in a hotel's deep basement lot, it's something that's always troubled me. Maybe unnecessarily :)

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yes indeed....very unnecessarily.

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I live on a hill and have a steep driveway up to my garage. I have also just recently repaved the driveway so have had to think through these issues you are dealing with.

Despite the slope, I experience no problem driving the 308 up the driveway. I would expect other 308s might have problems if they had been lowered slightly or had a deeper front valance. My 308 is stock height with the smaller front valance. A few mm of height difference in the car could change everything. Additionally, I creep up the driveway, fearing that hitting the driveway with some speed might cause a slight compression of the springs and the car to bottom out.

I regraded the driveway as part of the repaving project and was able to substantially reduce the severity of the slopes (despite the obvious; not being able to change the height of the street or garage). The important thing to realize is that the driveway should not be a flat plane that abruptly changes slope at the sidewalk and garage floor. Instead, it should be a carefully shaped “S” where the slope meets the sidewalk and garage floor smoothly. The driveway is steepest in the middle. The actual measured slope is irrelevant; it is the slope transitions that matter.

So, key to success is getting the grading right. I would be very explicit to your contractor about what you want related to clearance for a low car. My guy did a great job and actually lowered my driveway about a foot in the first 10 feet of run. A huge improvement, although the middle is now substantially steeper. You might drive around and try entering neighbor’s driveways about the same slope as yours. See what works. Personally inspect the grading before paving begins and ask for changes if it doesn’t look right.

I was going to try to measure slopes and give you numbers, but it seems too situational to really be useful. I can only give you a qualitative response.

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Great post Brian!

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- it's not the slope (unless huge), it's a big change in slope over a distance less than the wheelbase distance that's trouble. I've had to pass on houses we wanted to buy because of this.

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I have a very steep driveway. The wife scrapes her MB Nose & Exhaust all the time.
    My 308, when driven up/down at a steep angle to the driveway has no issues.

10. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Just use a tape measure/ruler and basic geometry to get the figure for your 328.

I calculated the front approach angle of my stock US 308 without the deep spoiler to be 20 degrees.

11. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    That would be my concern more than the approach angle... these cars sit low.

Perhaps an idea to go steeper out of the garage and then flatten gradually at the top?

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    It's not the slope, it's the sudden change in gradient.
    If you bring a steep slope to level in a single sharp angle, you're likely to have issues.
    But if you round off the join over a distance, it might work better.

Also, check your municipal codes.
    Minimum and maximum gradients for a garage and driveway are specified in my city's building codes.

The guys who built my driveway did a good job.
    The issue here isn't the gradient of the garage, but joining the level driveway to a steep street.
    They did a gradual twist over about for or five feet of "dishpan", so that the driveway itself is flat, but it matches the slope of the road at the join.