Coming out of the closet | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Coming out of the closet

Discussion in '360/430' started by baguns, Aug 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Wow - very inspiring and motivating. A true testament to never giving up and working hard.

I think a good number of us had modest upbringings, so you never want to forget where you came from so you can appreciate what you've earned.

2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #77 I'm 360 Canuck, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Years ago, I had a business meeting with my team at a small, blue collar clients business.
    The three of us showed up, in our Audi, and BMWs respectively. At one point, the owner of the business pointed to our cars in the parking lot and remarked "your company is charging me too much....and paying you too much". He wasn't smiling, and was considering changing to our competitor. It taught me that I d never take my f car to a client.
    At the same company, a co worker ran a side business of exotic car rentals. He took his Gallardo spider to a client...which resulted in his getting a speaking to from the big boss. It also brought up new concerns that his side business might be a distraction from his day job. They parted ways a few months later.

3. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I completely understand this posting and I do not tell any of my employees I have a Ferrari. I just turned 40 and I have wanted one since I was 5. People think of Ferrari as a status car but I really see it as a heritage car... I'm sure some buy then for status but I don't see them as that. A Bentley or a Rolls is for Status.. a Ferrari is to rip around making noise and having fun!

Back to the subject, I have never hid it from anyone but I definitely avoid the conversation. A few people at work know I have a Ferrari as some of my employees saw it one day while working outside my house, girlfriend went through garage. Within a week or so the manager at one of my other offices asked me about it.

It is what it is but you want to be able to relate to your employees so when they know you own a Ferrari who knows what they really think. You would hope they would think wow the boss is sucessful let's listen and learn and we will be the same but as we all know there are a lot of haters.

That being said I wouldn't drive it to work... too much attention. A Porsche, Mercedes, corvette, etc you can get away with. If a ferrari pulls up everyone stops in their tracks. Many of my friends do the same..

Just my 2 cents

4. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I would never take Bella to meet with a client... my GF gets crap from clients for the Benz.. Her response as of late to wow they pay you well is "yes they do but I work for fun" 😂😂

5. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    At first when I saw the title "coming out of the closet" I thought it was about admitting that I sneak out to the garage every chance I get to look at it like some kind of addict.

ThePrancingOgure likes this.
  6. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    I have owned a business for many years. My staff includes mostly highly skilled but young professionals. For me, it's a personal enjoyment thing not a look at me thing. I don't drive it to work or to client meetings (no need) but it's also not something I hide. If people ask, sure let's talk cars or go for a ride.

It's not about being in or out of the f car closet. It's just having a little common sense, show a level of restrain in certain circles or situations. Other than that, don't over think it and have fun with your well deserved hobby.

Someone asked me a few years ago if I would offer up a ride on my car in my daughters schools silent auction. I said sure. Probably have done 4-5 of them since then at the school, a church and a chiller hospital near by.

Fun way to share your car hobby with a neighborhood kids or family, raise a few bucks for a good cause, and gives you a reason to put a few miles on the road.

Find a balance and have fun. If you can't bring yourself to get the thing out of the garage except under the darkness of night, sell it and play more golf!

7. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    We all do this I bet =) Not many cars look, sound and run this good.

8. rajagopalan_Kg

Apr 18, 2016
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Raj G
    Well, couldn't be happier that my first post in this forum is on this topic :) (although, I'd loved for it to be an announcement of my first F-car :))

Not a Ferrari owner, just yet. That's what I've been saying for years now. Been enchanted with Ferrari since I was a little kid. Everyone in my family/friends circle know how much of a craze I have for Ferrari. I have watches, shirts, shoes, caps, jackets, etc., everything Ferrari, except the car :)

Have been crazy about cars all along - owned a M6, E350 coupe, and now my DD is a Maserati Ghibli.

I'm 36 and work in hi-tech and like many others have posted, I see a LOT of cars (MB, Porsche, Bimmers, etc.) much more expensive than my Maserati but always get the "What, you own a Maserati???" surprise question. Nobody in my peer group or management chain even come close to owning something as exciting as a Maserati (leave alone a Ferrari :)) Like many of you, I haven't posted a single pic in any social media site. Too funny because my profile pic in FB is me in a F430 that I drove during an autocross event (clearly not my Ferrari) and nobody would care about it (since I dont own it).

Waiting for my Maserati lease to get over, get an inexpensive DD (not so new Porsche Boxster or so - I know, I know :)) and then I'd be ready for my first F430 :)

I dont talk about my car voluntarily but a few car nuts at work know.. my boss knows LOL :) He drives an Audi Q5 :)

Wish me luck and hopefully sometime very soon, I'll be a F-car owner :)

9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

10. blown94conv

blown94conv Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    Berlin, CT
    Full Name:
    David
    I’ve always had nice looking cars, (4 mustangs to date), and I tend to take excellent care of my cars. My daily is a 2007 X-3, and one day as I left a meeting I had a higher up comment “must be nice driving a BMW”, and then climbed into his Ford F-150 ecoboost. Which at the time would have retailed for $30,000 more then my X-3. So naturally when I picked up a 99 360 in August, I was wondering what the reactions would be. I’ve told a few people at work, all of whom know my love of the brand, and have seen me become distracted when one drives by, but I haven’t told anyone else. I’ve also bought it to enjoy, putting about 900 miles on it since the end of August. As for neighbors and the like, I’ve picked up my son from football in it, my daughter from school, taken it on errands, and throughly enjoyed every second. It’s getting around town I have one, and I’m not concerned at all. Most people know I work hard, but I’m sure someone will have an issue for some reason. It’s too bad that we don’t reward working hard anymore, but it is what it is.

To sum it up, I don’t flaunt it, but I don’t hide it either.

11. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I love these, I'll contribute mine.

I've always wanted an exotic. Been crazy about cars and planes since I could talk. Had the poster of a Countach with a lady cop and one of a Testarossa. Every time I saw an exotic I dreamt of owning one. I am not wealthy by any means but I do well for a 30 something. Finally, the opportunity came by and I jumped on a Red low Mile Scud. I still haven't told my family or some friends, the ones who found out no longer are my friends. I haven't taken her to work, I don't think my boss would look at me the same considering he drives a 2001 Sienna to work.

A few lessons I've learned in life: People will always judge you and Success is one of the best ways to see who's a true friend. My car buddies all were in the journey with me and all tell me it's like their car. I am open and give rides freely and am humble and kind. I think that goes a long way. I try to give rides and allow people to sit or peer in.

A buddy of mine told me the quirks of F car ownership and there are plenty. Random people will come up and introduce themselves. I suddenly know all my male neighbors. And people will judge, ohhh will they judge. Kids are the best, they are just happy and whip out their phones.

I was at Costco refueling the other night and a gentleman comes up to me and begins asking about me and the car. I was polite and answered all his questions. I noticed his eyes look me up and down as I stepped out the car. He then asked me what I drive DD and said "don't tell me you drive a Honda or something" I laughed and told him i have several cars but drive my Toyota Tacoma Prerunner daily and my gf drives my WRX (I work 4 miles away). He rolled his eyes and then walked away. I think the point is, you will encounter all sorts of people, those who will be inquisitive and those who are pure jealous and hate you. The best thing to do is be polite and courteous. Like someone above stated, it's their problem, not mine. I've been very fortunate and lucky not only to own some amazing machines but meet great owners and people because of them. Rock on guys.

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Similar situations here...I try to debunk the exotic car stigma, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't..I make sure I am completely polite (I typically use sir and ma'am but I am more conscious of it when someone asks me about the car), I will let kids sit in it and take pictures, ask them about their cars, etc...they will typically thank me for talking with them, I tell them it was my pleasure....it's like, "why are you thanking me? I'm just a dude"

13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Since getting my F360 a few weeks ago I have taken to saying to those who give me a raised eyebrow; most guys spend almost as much on a new high end P/U truck --- that loses value weekly.
    They seem to see it in perspective after that.

14. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My F cars are for me and my family, and no one else. No need to share about them with others. Family knows and so do good friends. Son is instructed not to talk about them at school. It's an exercise in humility - willfully elevating the importance of others above yourself. With all the personal struggles, particularly financial, that so many people go through, I don't think me talking about my cars benefits anyone. Once I get to know someone and they understand about my lifelong passion for Ferrari then they find out and I find they respect me more for it. In the meantime it doesn't hurt anyone for me to keep it quiet.

This weekend I was at a community event in town, where I was a newcomer. I knew one guy there - his son had been to the house and had seen the cars in the garage and had told his Dad. This guy goes and tells everyone at the meeting that I own 2 Ferraris. Really un-couth. Made me very upset. That's not how I want to be introduced to a community of strangers and neighbors!

Finally, I'm an exec in a manufacturing business. The cars stay home. On a practical level there's no need to stir up relationships on the shop floor.

MalcQV likes this.
  15. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I am curious how this thread would do in a Lamborghini forum. I get the feeling that it's a different type of guy who buys a neon metallic green Lambo. I loved them till I sat in one... I lived in Newport and the lambo guys were the ones who seemed to want to be noticed and heard. Merely my observations, but anyone else notice this?

16. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I never mention it and even when cars come up in conversation I am reticent to talk about it, so I often don't. I don't feel the need to and actually I feel a bit self concious. I am in my 30's so it's a bit unusual anyway.

MalcQV likes this.
  17. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I have been very selective on whom to tell and and appreciate your concern.
    1) People, friends and family will use it against you.(i.e. "Let Joe pay he has A Ferrari").
    2) At work they may go "Joe can afford a Ferrari, really? Next layoff guess who will be at the top of the list?
    3) Some thug hears about a guy called Joe with a Ferrari and decides to rob him, after all if you have a Ferrari you must have a safe filled with cash and jeweler?
    4) People you don't even know, will start hinting at getting a ride. Case and point a neighbor of mine who I like alto also has a big mouth. I went over to his house for a barbecue and some guy I hadn't met before looks at me and says "How is the car?" Since I have more than one car I said "Which car"?

In short being discreet is not a bad idea.

18. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Some of it just the fact that you have "toy", and they do not. Even my used Z06 garnered some
    jealous comments at work/family or gas station. While it is a fact that many trucks and SUV's that they are driving cost more than most 355/360 Ferraris I think for some in their minivans or SUVs are envious they do not have a toy.

And I think most people really have no idea if a older 360 is a $65K car, or you have a $250K Scud,
    to them they just see Ferrari and bunch them all together. When I go see tenants, I take my older SUV,
    not even my new truck just so they do not form a picture of wealth I got "off of them" .....
    So yes, there are times when I hide the toys......

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  19. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Speak of the devil: http://www.lamborghini (dash) talk.com/vbforum/f46/agony-ecstacy-ownership-23570/

I have a 6-spd murcielago and challenge stradale (both red) and I have experienced mostly positive reactions to my cars. Family is all interested. All my friends were glad for me (and those that weren't at least didn't say anything negative). The biggest nuisance is that being in my mid-20s people initially assume it's 'daddys money' until it gets to the 'what do you do for a living' question. I personally wouldn't show them to my employees or clients, even though I go to pretty extreme lengths to take care of my people and make sure they're happy.
    Lambo and Ferrari people have been great to me, with a small handful of exceptions that meet all the stereotypes you could imagine within each group - but those truly are the exceptions.

The thing that gets lost when people see you driving exotic cars is they don't see the years and years and YEARS of hard work and sacrifice it took to build a business/career that pays well enough to afford such a car. They don't see how you haven't taken a day off in 5 years or that you work 80+ hrs a week. They don't know the stress of putting everything you have into a fledgling business that could have easily failed and left you nearly broke. They don't see how instead of going out and partying and having a good time in college you spent every extra minute studying - not just to get an A in every class but to understand the material as thoroughly as you can at that level to give you a competitive edge. All they see is the results of that hard work and to their perspective you could have simply won the lotto and blown it on a car. There does seem to be a real shift in perspective in America today where if you've made money, you must have done so by taking advantage of someone else to get there. Not to take a political left turn here, but that was best summed up by President Obama's speech "If you have a business, you didn't build that".
    Every time I drive one of my cars, I will get at least a handful of waves, honks, compliments, etc. Every now and then you'll get negative remarks at the gas station ("You could feed an african village for 1 year with that thing") or just last week a guy driving the opposite direction simply held out his middle finger at me while I was in the murci driving the speed limit LOL. The haters are part of the fun and experience to be honest (but I wouldn't dare leave my cars unattended for more than 5 minutes in a parking lot).

It also depends on what type of person you are and why you bought your exotic. I've always been car obsessed, worked car jobs when in high school, started auto related small side businesses when I was a teenager, built my own faster/fun cars in those years, etc. So for someone like that, it is a natural progression. But for the type of people who buy exotics as status symbols, I think 'coming out' will get quite a lot of hate since it's clear they don't actually appreciate and respect the car for it's history, engineering, etc. Just for the prestige of its badge. If people know you love cars and you're enjoying the fruits of your labor (without flaunting it), it's going to be pretty hard to hate on you. I don't know. Just stay humble, be a good person, take care of your customers and employees, and you'll be fine. It helps to always remember that ALL of us are only a few bad decisions away from being homeless at any moment. Really. Even if you're a billionaire you can screw it up pretty easily pretty quickly. Life is far too short to spend time worrying about what other people think of you, so long as you're a decent person, things will be fine.

20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I think I see it with most exotics. Aston Martin owners being the exception I think.

Very true and wise words. Not surprising you are so successful at 20+.

21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Not to get off topic, but this is another great benefit to Ferrari ownership that I took into consideration (other than being a huge car guy and shadetree mechanic)....learning from and interacting with other people of a success mindset...worth it's weight in gold.

Back on topic..I went to a local cruise in this past weekend, I live in a small rural-esque town so mostly classic/antique domestic. One guy talking to me made the comment, "Well you don't have too much money, do you?" I looked at the car and replied, "Well, not anymore!" He laughed. It's usually pretty easy to deflect from the $$$/jealous comments as long as you don't take them personally.

ThePrancingOgure and imahorse like this.
  22. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    LOL above. I've actually had people say things like "wow, must be nice to have so much money" and crap like that. My gut reaction is to look them right in the eyes and say "yep, it sure is!" but I haven't done that. Usually just ignore the stupid comments.

23. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think it all depends on where you are and who knows. I’m still in the closet mostly to work people. I had my boss on instagram when I had my R8 but took him off with the Ferrari.

My neighbors think I sell drugs buying my house at 25: nsx’s R’8’s and now the 430. It’s drugs or parents bought it. Some people at work know and want to see it being car people, other people above me give me that dirty look.

Like others have said, I don’t have kids and a mansion with secret underground pool, just love cars. In reality, 100k isn’t THAT much any more. A loaded 5 series is up there, many Audi’s and Mercedes as well.

One day, I’ll come out of the closet haha.... when it doesn’t blow someone away..... maybe when I’m 70 it will be looked at like ok haha

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've been driving Ferraris for almost 30 years and the reactions from people have definitely changed over that time.

When I was in my late 20's-early 30's, people would yell things like, "Out in daddy's car"? I would hear mumblings in the neighborhood of how I must be a drug dealer.

As the years past into my late 30's-40's, there were lots of indiscriminate middle fingers out of car windows from similar aged haters in mini vans, obviously a little unhappy with their life choices.

I'm now of a certain age and there seems to be more... 'polite admiration'.

The one constant has always been the kids and their enthusiasm, and they have always gotten to sit in the cars, and/or a ride. Whenever I see a kid dragging their mildly interested parent over to the car, I usually yell over at them and ask if the kid would like to sit in the car. The kids get excited. The parents are terrified they are going to break something very expensive. (I did have to inform one guy that was leaning on the CS mirror, that unless he had an extra $10K laying around he should be careful). Once the kid is behind the wheel I instruct the parent to take lots of pictures, because he will probably remember this day for the rest of his life! I know I still remember that first seat when I was a kid!

25. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Kid's are always in awe and never judge. Just a few months back the garage door was open and one kid from the neighbourhood shouted to his friend "There's the rich family with the Ferrari, Mister can I have look?"

A couple of months after I bought my 360 one Halloween the Trick or Treaters saw the car out on the drive. They had a treat sitting in the car and revving the car.
    Still wanted sweets mind :D