Seeking my Son's first car .. | FerrariChat

Seeking my Son's first car ..

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by msdesignltd, Mar 13, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My son Max Just got his license...college freshman.
    We are seeking something relatively simple and somewhat along what he likes...open to whats out there.
    His tastes run into a Mazda RX8....a Porsche Boxster, BMW Z 4, a mercedes C or clk class etc..
    The budget is probably in mid teens of thousands..$12,500 to $17,500...
    stick preferred, maybe an automatic.

What do you know of along these sporty lines???
    Tri state area.
    Hopefully below 75,000 miles.

thanks in advance..

2. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Bringatrailer.com

I see lots of cars on here that would make good starter sporty cars

Good luck with the search

Rafal'sGTO likes this.
  3. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 msdesignltd, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    Thats a Fantastic Idea...Not!..BaT cars can be 3000 miles away..thanks
    However, I did mention Tri state area....perhaps a members old car.
    At the price range I stated, it should be a local car..
    I would never buy a car off Bat without a personal inspection.
    so Tri state for me means I can see it in person.

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm in a similar situation. Believe it or not, the Alfa Giulia, seems like a very attractive option. They've proven to be reliable (yes, I said it! :)) according to many (https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/alfa-romeo-giulia.505665/), perform and drive very well (most say better than BMWs comparable offerings), and recent model years can be bought with low miles quite inexpensively (around the upper area of your price range). The Giulia hasn't changed much over the years, so older models are quite similar to the newest. No stick available, but a very sporty automatic. In my opinion, automatic is better solution for a kid's car than automated manual (PDK et al) from a maintenance/reliability standpoint. Can be as sporty as some of the sports cars he prefers, but I think a bit safer.

I'm in your position, and honestly the Giulia is currently at the top of the list.

The Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86/Scion FR-S (all largely the same car) is more of a sports car and surprisingly practical (tiny back seat, pretty good storage) -- but a major downside is that the engine has very little torque and feels shockingly slow in normal driving (feels like 9 second 0-60 even though it is 6.2 secs in tests). They finally improved torque in 2022 I think, but that would be over budget. I think the Alfa is a far better choice for roughly the same dollars, and the Alfa seems like it would be less tempting to be irresponsible with.

5. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Many cars on that site are homed in NY, NJ, CT, and typically the owners are open to a visit or an inspection. No dog in the fight here, just highlighting.

and if it's a no reserve, you can do well

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    We did cx5 and love it.

Caeruleus11 and Alcav5 like this.
  7. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    May want to consult your insurance company first - rates are sky rocketing, especially with new drivers. Best of luck to him, drive safely!!

Ricambi America and Alcav5 like this.
  8. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, We checked insurance and it is insane, they used to have discounts for 4.0 grade students...no more..
    He will be covered under our own umbrella policy if i say its my car...Just dont know if that is way to proceed

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Pretty sure they wont allow coverage solely under the umbrella. If he is a licensed driver and domiciled at your home address, they will require him to be on the policy, from what was explained to me. I use Pure fwiw.

msdesignltd likes this.
  10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    oh, they know already.

NY (esp Westchester) super expensive imo. I'm paying $4,400/yr for daughter's '18 SQ5 , also I'm paying extra on my cars due to my son, even though he isn't assigned to a car (lives in the city).

Get a used Audi , imo.

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

No kidding. My son, 18 y/o, perfect grades and zero traffic issues, is $4196/year on our family policy. (State Farm, multi-line, etc. etc)

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Who do you use for insurance? Pure actuality doesn’t assign drivers to cars which i was surprised to learn.

13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    USAA.

I'll check out Pure , but time and time again , no other company could beat USAA's cost

I have Hagerty for the 812GTS (on consignment) and Z06 - they have written in docs that my kids under 25 can't drive the cars.

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Try Grundy for the toys - they’re usually half of hagerty in my experience.

robst and Alcav5 like this.
  15. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    I just picked up a mint 1997 Porsche Boxter (Manual) with 25k miles for $15k. I love the thing. Its my daily driver for when I don't want to drive the Ferrari. I'd take an old boxer over a new car. The thing is a blast! It reminds me of when I use to race Lotus Elise's

msdesignltd likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  17. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I'm going through this problem also right now for my soon-to-be 17-year-old. The budget is 15 to 20k for a used car or do I just buy him a new car for 35k with every safety feature and be done with it. Used, we are thinking Arbath 500 or Subaru. New, we are thinking Mini Cooper 2-door base model or something like that. He doesn't like what the newer Subaru's looks like, though they seem to have the best safety features.

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    BMW repair bills will eat you alive.
    buy him a car than can withstand a soccer moms suv impact. nobody is paying attention anymore while driving and im seeing a lot of people running red lights.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #21 ttforcefed, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    Small cars and 17 years olds cld be risky. Cx5 until they’re out of college for us. Safety wise you cant be a cx5 for the money its a ton of car.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    IMHO - a Mazda is good value for the money and pretty darn reliable and if it gets dinged, you wont cry too much.
    and if you are so motivated, readily modded. He does drive a stick, right? Zoom Zoom.

21. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I mowed lawns and saved up $5k and bought a Nissan pickup. Great truck. I used it to do yard work during college to help pay my way. So my vote is Nissan pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

msdesignltd likes this.
  22. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    We 2 birds of a feather...My first car!..Toyota Hilux!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and 3POINT8 like this.
  23. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I know it sounds like he wants a sports car, but for all practical reasons, a good old Jeep Wrangler can deliver just as many sporty thrills...cruising with the doors off in the summer, or 4-wheel barn-storming in winter snow. I loved mine just as much as the Jag.